Any History Majors?

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I was a history major, with a minor in art history.

And am definitely not Bigfoot. :smile:

Oh cool, so a degree in Unemployment?

Actually no. I head up the Benefits Adminsitration and Payroll Dept for a larger financial institution in our metropolitan area. Just because I'm not using my degree and the specific knowledge I learned while at school, does not mean that I am unemployed or not successful in what I do.

Good for you! You're an outlier in your field!
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My BA is in History (1975). I never actually worked in anything "History-ish, however I used it a lot because it taught me how to write, how to make a presentation, how to discuss issues based on data and present supporting arguments, how to research, how to analyse data and how to evaluate biases in historical literature - including newspapers, magazines, etc. - it was those skills that got me the jobs. 25 years later I got a Master's in Adult Education and eventually retired from a great career with a solid pension and benefits. Never had to flip a single burger.

Oh, and that BA sure helps when it comes to deciding who to vote for.......
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I, however, was not lucky enough to find a job in my field and work for a software company. I do find though that the skills I learned through acquiring my degree (research, data collection, writing etc) have all come in handy.

^^ THIS! Completely agree.
  • oroblar
    oroblar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My BA is in History (1975). I never actually worked in anything "History-ish, however I used it a lot because it taught me how to write, how to make a presentation, how to discuss issues based on data and present supporting arguments, how to research, how to analyse data and how to evaluate biases in historical literature - including newspapers, magazines, etc. - it was those skills that got me the jobs. 25 years later I got a Master's in Adult Education and eventually retired from a great career with a solid pension and benefits. Never had to flip a single burger.

Oh, and that BA sure helps when it comes to deciding who to vote for.......

Figured that would be BS on helping decide who to vote for.... :laugh:
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

I, however, was not lucky enough to find a job in my field and work for a software company. I do find though that the skills I learned through acquiring my degree (research, data collection, writing etc) have all come in handy.

^^ THIS! Completely agree.

I currently teach at a university and this is EXACTLY what I tell my students! A liberal arts degree, whether in history or something else, provides one with necessary critical thinking and analytical skills.

OP: You mentioned twice that you're trying to teach history courses at universities with an MA? The job market is difficult enough for PhDs...yes, universities will theoretically hire with an MA, but you also need to consider your competition.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Im a history and Japanese major working on my PhD in History as we speak! So...hi. lol
  • oroblar
    Options
    [/quote] OP: You mentioned twice that you're trying to teach history courses at universities with an MA? The job market is difficult enough for PhDs...yes, universities will theoretically hire with an MA, but you also need to consider your competition.
    [/quote]

Definitely am stacked up against tough competition! The online universities have opened up some avenues, but I have only gotten a quick run at being a TA before the university cancelled all their TA spots.
  • Starlightbella
    Starlightbella Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a History Degree with a Minor in Sociology. My plan was to get a law degree but I decided that I actually enjoyed my pt college job with the airlines so much that I wanted to work there full time. I don't regret my decision but I don't use my degree very often. On the plus side, the degree comes in handy when I help my daughter with school and by working with the airline I can now go see all the places I spent time studying :flowerforyou:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    As much as I enjoy ribbing the History/LA crowd, I too find history fascinating and spend a bit of time pursuing an independent interest in it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I was a Classics/Art History double major. I'm not sure if I count. Definitely haven't done anything with my degree since graduating (unless you count some awesome Halloween costumes) but I'm prepping a resume now to start job hunting and would like to get back into the field somewhere.
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Another History major here with a BA. I pursued history partially because it had been a weak point in my education, and I still feel as though I should know an awful lot more about it than I do, but I don't regret the decision at all.

A BA in History is obviously not likely to ever land me a job in the field, but as others have pointed out, history is more about learning to read, write, research, and think critically. Hard to explain that to employers, but I wouldn't trade my history experience for anything.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

My daughter is planning to major in History. She's a sophomore now...

She plans to teach English overseas as soon as she finishes her degree, so she decided to major in something she enjoys. I'm torn about the whole thing. On the one hand, I want her to have opportunities for work after she graduates. On the other hand, it's no fun working in a career that you hate just because there were more opportunities for jobs.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    In all likelihood youre going to need a PhD or at least have taken a good chunk of PhD level classes to get a job at a University. These days competition is so tough with the job market being so saturated that many schools can pick and choose. Especially for the liberal arts subjects and topics. History, English, Sociology et al. Im getting my PhD now because I knew I wouldnt stand much chance in higher education teaching without it these days. You may be able to find jobs at community colleges and online universities though, as youve already mentioned looking into and trying. So there is always that.
  • lynn1982
    Options
    Interesting.

She plans to teach English overseas as soon as she finishes her degree, so she decided to major in something she enjoys. I'm torn about the whole thing. On the one hand, I want her to have opportunities for work after she graduates. On the other hand, it's no fun working in a career that you hate just because there were more opportunities for jobs.

That all depends on what she plans on doing once she's finished teaching English overseas... The OP is talking specifically about teaching university. That's a whole other world of precarious labor...
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

That all depends on what she plans on doing once she's finished teaching English overseas... The OP is talking specifically about teaching university. That's a whole other world of precarious labor...

That would be her ultimate goal (teaching university level). Sounds like she has a tough road ahead.
  • oroblar
    Options
    If it is what she wants to do then the struggle is worth it. Currently education is cutting back drastically across the board, but there are always ebbs and flows to every market. If she wants to teach at the University level I highly recommend a PhD. In my quest for my Master's I wanted to follow up with a PhD. However, in my short sightedness I didn't realize that the closest university to offer the program I wanted was a couple hours away. I have a steady job where I live and am not really wanting to uproot everything I have. There are so many factors that play into that decision including it would not be fair to my family. I continue looking for different odds and ends jobs that are history related. Any way, I digress. I would have her map out her educational plan and definitely DO NOT stop at the Master's level. Just my two cents.
  • lynn1982
    Options
    Interesting.

That would be her ultimate goal (teaching university level). Sounds like she has a tough road ahead.

She might still change her mind. A PhD requires much more than teaching university.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Political science major.
    Social studies major (within the college of education).
    History minor.
    Natural science minor.

Yay middle school science and social studies!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    One of my degrees was in History and like you it was focused on US military engagements history, except for my capstone research paper was on Colonial Latin America.

My only history related job was designing webpages and cataloging old archives for a State Library. It was a lot of fun spending hours in the Library reading books and when your boss asks you can just say you are doing research.
  • bellaamor30
    bellaamor30 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm not a History Major, but I am getting my undergraduate degree in Anthropology, Minor in Indigenous Studies. I always had an interest in history, but moreso history of ancient cultures - hence what initially brought me into anthropology.

So I guess I am Bigfoot. You found me...practicing my "would you like fries with that."

:laugh: Just kidding. I'm aware my degree is "useless" but I already have just under a year of federal government experience under my belt that I may not have gotten were it not for my studies and motivation to go somewhere with it, so here's to hoping that helps career wise once I graduate. Honestly, if you have enough perseverance you can find a job in or related to your field. It just takes time and effort.

Hi, fellow anthro major :-). I have a major soft spot for history and archaeology, can't say I ever worked in the field I studied but I am the girl you want on your team for trivia night!!!