Really hungry after long runs...

On days that I run hard, 4+ miles, I find that I am starving for most of the morning. I eat breakfast and aim for protein, but I always seem to get very hungry when I run. Is this normal??

Replies

• KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Are you hydrating enough the day before your run? 4 miles is not nearly enough to make you "starving" if you are eating protein and carbs with your breakfast. Your body maybe telling you to drink more! FYI I am not usually abnormally hungry unless I run over 10!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    How many calories do you eat per day? It could be that you just need to eat more on days you run.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Are you eating back your exercise calories because if you aren't then you aren't eating enough hence the reason your hungry.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Are you running a low carb diet?
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    I'm going to say a 1200 calorie diet is not going to be enough to sustain you running 4+ miles. You might want to think about upping your intake.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    That's probably an indication that your daily calorie goal is too low. After my 10 mile runs I am usually not that hungry.
  • BeanCounter3
    BeanCounter3 Posts: 158 Member
    I just start noticing it more at around 4 miles or more. Right now I'm eating pretty low cal/low carb. but this has been something that happens regardless of how my diet looks, including taking in 1800 - 2000 or more calories.

I do like the suggestion of possibly not being hydrated enough. I don't usually drink or eat anything before I run, I get stomach cramps if I do.
  • BeanCounter3
    oh...and I run in the morning, well before most normal people have their eyes open, so fueling up during the day to run later isn't really an option.
  • mreeves261
    I just start noticing it more at around 4 miles or more. Right now I'm eating pretty low cal/low carb. but this has been something that happens regardless of how my diet looks, including taking in 1800 - 2000 or more calories.

I do like the suggestion of possibly not being hydrated enough. I don't usually drink or eat anything before I run, I get stomach cramps if I do.

I still think you should look at your diet. Your body burns Carbs first for fuel.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    You'll need carbs more than protein for running. 4 miles shouldn't make you starving, but if you're doing low carb, it's going to affect you.

My best runs I've had were on days when I had to make a cake in the morning before I went running (for parties later that day). Because of course, I sneak some cake scraps and frosting. Frosting really seems to be great running fuel LOL. Pure, simple carbs. Not something I'd recommend for health, but it did good things for my runs on those days.
  • mreeves261
    oh...and I run in the morning, well before most normal people have their eyes open, so fueling up during the day to run later isn't really an option.

Doesn't need to be an option. I run fasted.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Have porridge for breakfast before you run (an hour or so before). good carbs that fuel you well
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    low carb and running...and really, any true training do not make good bed fellows. Carbs are your rocket fuel that help you crush it. Also, I'm always hungry after crushing a workout...whether it be a nice cycle ride or kick *kitten* lifting session...I pretty much plan my day around that fact and make sure I have plenty to eat pretty much right after my workout...I easily take in 500 - 600 calories post lift and then go eat a 600 calorie dinner two hours after that...pretty much 1000 - 1200 calories within about a 3 hour window is pretty common for me.
  • BeanCounter3
    Have porridge for breakfast before you run (an hour or so before). good carbs that fuel you well

at 4:30am? :yawn:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    If you run "fasted," as in first thing in the morning with nothing in your gut, then your body will burn fat as fuel. If you spike your insulin with carbs/sugar before you run, your fat burning will be inhibited as your body will seek the easy fuel of carbs. Best bet is to run fasted and become a blackhole for food when you're done. Eat a serving of peanut butter, hot cereal, chocolate milk, etc to refuel yourself. Carbs are necessary for racing, i.e., anaerobic bursts of speed. You can run at a comfortable pace sans carbs, and dual-fueling is valid marathon strategy (fats first, carbs to push the end). Lots of misinformation in this thread so tread carefully.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

at 4:30am? :yawn:

You must not have kids...4:30 is prime time baby...or, well...it's prime time for babies is what I meant to say.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Yes, of course, holy crap, you're exercising... Why are people always so surprised when they are hungry after working out....
  • BeanCounter3
    have kids...hence the reason I'm up at 4:15-4:30 to go to the gym @ 5, lol...that is the time I "made" for myself, it's all I have. Maybe too caught up in what my calories look like...will try eating more after runs to see if it improves.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    If you run "fasted," as in first thing in the morning with nothing in your gut, then your body will burn fat as fuel. If you spike your insulin with carbs/sugar before you run, your fat burning will be inhibited as your body will seek the easy fuel of carbs. Best bet is to run fasted and become a blackhole for food when you're done. Eat a serving of peanut butter, hot cereal, chocolate milk, etc to refuel yourself. Carbs are necessary for racing, i.e., anaerobic bursts of speed. You can run at a comfortable pace sans carbs, and dual-fueling is valid marathon strategy (fats first, carbs to push the end). Lots of misinformation in this thread so tread carefully.

No man. Regardless if you are in a fasted state or not your body is going to first use its glycogen stores which are fueled up by mainly carbs from previous eating (like the day before) . When those start to get depleted is going to look for another energy source o keep going or you will have to stop. Yeah, it will use some stored fat but guess what else its going to look for? Protein. If there's none in the fuel tank than take a wild guess or where else its gonna get it? Yep. Not a very good alternative.

She shouldn't be going through her glycogen stores at just a 4 miler unless she is really restricting her carb intake and they aren't being fully replenished before she sets out again.

This is why I asked if she is on a low carb restrictive diet (and low and behold I was right)

Best guess is she is her glycogen stores are crap and her body is trying to inefficiently grab energy from elsewhere causing her to be extra hungry after as her body tries to desperately replinish itself for repair.

If this is misinformation than I'd like to know how/why for my own understanding if you can enlighten me further (not being a smart *kitten*/honestly curious for my own understanding)
  • BeanCounter3
    hmmm....ok. I had to go look up glycogen to fully understand that. Had a good idea of what it was...just by the name. Overall consensus....eat more....:frown: ...damn....was hoping not.