Really hungry after long runs...

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I'm ALWAYS famished after I work out. ALWAYS.

no matter what time of day- but if I work out in the AM- I'm like insanely hungry all day. It's ridiculous.

one of the many reason I don't work out AM. I eat at 1130 ish after I come home from the gym and go right to bed- saves me from being hungry all the time.
    Yes, of course, holy crap, you're exercising... Why are people always so surprised when they are hungry after working out....
    yes- this question always amuses me too.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    hmmm....ok. I had to go look up glycogen to fully understand that. Had a good idea of what it was...just by the name. Overall consensus....eat more....:frown: ...damn....was hoping not.

You might find by eating a little more you actually lose weight faster. Works that way for some people. You will have more energy and start to wonder why you are starving after you've run 10+ miles because you had the fuel to do it.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    You'll need carbs more than protein for running. 4 miles shouldn't make you starving, but if you're doing low carb, it's going to affect you.

My best runs I've had were on days when I had to make a cake in the morning before I went running (for parties later that day). Because of course, I sneak some cake scraps and frosting. Frosting really seems to be great running fuel LOL. Pure, simple carbs. Not something I'd recommend for health, but it did good things for my runs on those days.

Cake with frosting pre-runs! :heart: :love: :heart:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    You'll need carbs more than protein for running. 4 miles shouldn't make you starving, but if you're doing low carb, it's going to affect you.

My best runs I've had were on days when I had to make a cake in the morning before I went running (for parties later that day). Because of course, I sneak some cake scraps and frosting. Frosting really seems to be great running fuel LOL. Pure, simple carbs. Not something I'd recommend for health, but it did good things for my runs on those days.

Cake with frosting pre-runs! :heart: :love: :heart:

Seriously...I thought it was my imagination, but it's happened multiple times (I like to bake LOL). In fact, it's probably going to happen again on Saturday LOL.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    If you run "fasted," as in first thing in the morning with nothing in your gut, then your body will burn fat as fuel. If you spike your insulin with carbs/sugar before you run, your fat burning will be inhibited as your body will seek the easy fuel of carbs. Best bet is to run fasted and become a blackhole for food when you're done. Eat a serving of peanut butter, hot cereal, chocolate milk, etc to refuel yourself. Carbs are necessary for racing, i.e., anaerobic bursts of speed. You can run at a comfortable pace sans carbs, and dual-fueling is valid marathon strategy (fats first, carbs to push the end). Lots of misinformation in this thread so tread carefully.

No man. Regardless if you are in a fasted state or not your body is going to first use its glycogen stores which are fueled up by mainly carbs from previous eating (like the day before) . When those start to get depleted is going to look for another energy source o keep going or you will have to stop. Yeah, it will use some stored fat but guess what else its going to look for? Protein. If there's none in the fuel tank than take a wild guess or where else its gonna get it? Yep. Not a very good alternative.

She shouldn't be going through her glycogen stores at just a 4 miler unless she is really restricting her carb intake and they aren't being fully replenished before she sets out again.

This is why I asked if she is on a low carb restrictive diet (and low and behold I was right)

Best guess is she is her glycogen stores are crap and her body is trying to inefficiently grab energy from elsewhere causing her to be extra hungry after as her body tries to desperately replinish itself for repair.

If this is misinformation than I'd like to know how/why for my own understanding if you can enlighten me further (not being a smart *kitten*/honestly curious for my own understanding)

I'm with the guy you quoted, that running fasted (and not taking gels as you run) trains your body to use your fat stores rather than burning thru your glycogen stores too quickly, ASSUMING you aren't running at too fast a pace. Then it's going to be your glycogen stores that get wiped out quickly.
    Also if as you said her glycogen stores are riculously low, she's probably going to have issues. But at only 4 miles, she's probably running too fast AND has poor glycogen stores.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    why would you slow down?

run faster- be done sooner.
  • BeanCounter3
    BeanCounter3 Posts: 158 Member
    If you run "fasted," as in first thing in the morning with nothing in your gut, then your body will burn fat as fuel. If you spike your insulin with carbs/sugar before you run, your fat burning will be inhibited as your body will seek the easy fuel of carbs. Best bet is to run fasted and become a blackhole for food when you're done. Eat a serving of peanut butter, hot cereal, chocolate milk, etc to refuel yourself. Carbs are necessary for racing, i.e., anaerobic bursts of speed. You can run at a comfortable pace sans carbs, and dual-fueling is valid marathon strategy (fats first, carbs to push the end). Lots of misinformation in this thread so tread carefully.

No man. Regardless if you are in a fasted state or not your body is going to first use its glycogen stores which are fueled up by mainly carbs from previous eating (like the day before) . When those start to get depleted is going to look for another energy source o keep going or you will have to stop. Yeah, it will use some stored fat but guess what else its going to look for? Protein. If there's none in the fuel tank than take a wild guess or where else its gonna get it? Yep. Not a very good alternative.

She shouldn't be going through her glycogen stores at just a 4 miler unless she is really restricting her carb intake and they aren't being fully replenished before she sets out again.

This is why I asked if she is on a low carb restrictive diet (and low and behold I was right)

Best guess is she is her glycogen stores are crap and her body is trying to inefficiently grab energy from elsewhere causing her to be extra hungry after as her body tries to desperately replinish itself for repair.

If this is misinformation than I'd like to know how/why for my own understanding if you can enlighten me further (not being a smart *kitten*/honestly curious for my own understanding)

I'm with the guy you quoted, that running fasted (and not taking gels as you run) trains your body to use your fat stores rather than burning thru your glycogen stores too quickly, ASSUMING you aren't running at too fast a pace. Then it's going to be your glycogen stores that get wiped out quickly.
    Also if as you said her glycogen stores are riculously low, she's probably going to have issues. But at only 4 miles, she's probably running too fast AND has poor glycogen stores.

is a 10min mile too fast??
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member

"Athletes benefit the most from the amount of carbohydrates stored in the body. In the early stages of moderate exercise, carbohydrates provide 40 to 50 percent of the energy requirement. Carbohydrates yield more energy per unit of oxygen consumed than fats. Because oxygen often is the limiting factor in long duration events, it is beneficial for the athlete to use the energy source requiring the least amount of oxygen per kilocalorie produced. As work intensity increases, carbohydrate utilization increases."

So this study would be wrong?

The whole thing...
    http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09362.html
  • omma_to_3

is a 10min mile too fast??

That's entirely individual. What is your average HR during your runs (if you have an HRM)?
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Most days I'm also at the gym at 5:30am. Depending on run, what I ate or didn't eat the night before, and if I wake up hungry I might eat something little. Like half of a graham cracker with the tiniest bit of peanut butter. I also can't eat oatmeal, etc before a run.

Maybe try that only on days where you actually wake up hungry or didn't eat much the night before and know you will run.

I completely agree with the others who also said to drink more water all day!
  • BeanCounter3
    use the monitor on the treadmill, 165 avg. spikes to 170 if I kick it up to 7/mpr for sprints in-between.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    The same happens to me.

Drink lots of water and have lots of healthy snacks handy for the day. (Nuts, raw fruit & veggies).
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    My hunger is delayed a day or two after a long/hard workout. I just bank calories on my workout day and eat them back over the next day or two.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    4 miles is not really running long. I'd hate to see what would happen if you ran 8-10 miles.

Very natural to be hungry after a run. Given that no one usually eats before hand, you've expended a lot of calories and your tank is empty
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Not really for me...note the qualifier..for me. However one of my daughters requires immediate food intake. I need water instead and my long run is a little over 5 miles right now. When I was up in the 10 - 12 mile range I was not hungry there either. One thing I have learned in this journey is sometimes my body wants water and sends off the wrong signal, food. Try water with minerals added first see if that meets your needs...after ingesting the water wait about 15 - 20 minutes to see if hunger signal goes away. That works for me. :smile: Luck to you.
  • omma_to_3
    use the monitor on the treadmill, 165 avg. spikes to 170 if I kick it up to 7/mpr for sprints in-between.

Your max HR is somewhere around 185 - likely higher (at least mine is a good 20 pts higher than the online estimators). I've been working on my pacing lately. I used to run "too fast" with my average HR around 170. Now, I do some slow runs each week (average HR around 145 to 150), and either a tempo run (at more of a race pace) or a speed work run (intervals of slow run and faster than race pace). Since I've switched to doing mostly slow runs during the week (and seriously felt like I was barely moving at first), I've definitely found that I can go faster and longer during my tempo runs and speed work. I'm training for another half marathon and am expecting to chop a lot of time off my last half (where my goal was simply to finish)

You know, now that I think about it, when I was training last year for a half, and running "too fast", I was famished after my long runs. Like "I'm ready to eat my arm" kind of famished. I've done a few 8+ mile runs lately, and wasn't hungry after. Hmmm.....
  • BeanCounter3
    4 miles is not really running long. I'd hate to see what would happen if you ran 8-10 miles

this is when it starts to get noticeable. I'm getting back into running. used to run 6-10 miles a day. have been on hiatus for about a year with it and I'm working back into it. didn't have this site then to use as a resource then to ask questions.
  • ayalowich
    Have porridge for breakfast before you run (an hour or so before). good carbs that fuel you well

at 4:30am? :yawn:

Definitely not. Eating at 4:30, especially something like that will make you miss your run.

The advice some people give around here is terrible.

I did a modified Atkins back in 2003 that allowed me to have about 100 carbs a day. I ran great. I'm in the mid 160's weight wise, but had no problems at all. I did that for about 4-6 months but gave it up b/c I was missing pasta and bread.
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    I had this problem when i started kick box after 13yrs. When i finished the class I was starving and went over the calories. But after some time the issue disappeared. Guess, i got used to the work out.
  • ayalowich

I highly doubt that your HR is 165 at a 10 min mile. Unless you are a much larger person. But either way, it would spike to a lot more than 170 if you dropped from 10 to 7 mph.

No idea where you live, but I still cannot fathom why people run on treadmills unless its either below 20 degrees or above 80 (or pouring rain). Get out on the road. That's my first piece of advice.