Arizona...

Options
MuscleAndMascara
MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
Anyone else from this beautiful State? Did you move here, or were you born here?

What do you hate about it?

What do you love about it?

Replies

• ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    When I drove through it in 2008, It smelled.. Like a sewer had exploded somewhere past the last few towns. For a couple of hours. DID NOT LIKE.

That gorgeous blinding sunset at around 5pm with heavy traffic on the freeway. I didn't care that I was being blinded. Road wasn't moving anyway. Wish I could have seen the sunrise, too.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Uncle Sam brought me here....I hate that there isn't enough freshwater in Southern Arizona, love anything that involves water and outdoors. What I love, the natural beauty of the high desert, monsoon season sunsets, and amazing year round weather.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    Options
    When I drove through it in 2008, It smelled.. Like a sewer had exploded somewhere past the last few towns. For a couple of hours. DID NOT LIKE.

That gorgeous blinding sunset at around 5pm with heavy traffic on the freeway. I didn't care that I was being blinded. Road wasn't moving anyway. Wish I could have seen the sunrise, too.

Well hopefully if you ever drive through here again, you'll get to see northern AZ. So beautiful. Nothing like the dirty city.
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    Moved here from Oklahoma when I was 2 and still here. Would like to move but everything I love is here.

Hate the heat but love the fact that we can occasionally wear tank tops and flip flops in Dec :)
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

Here you go....an untouched digital photo of an Arizona sunset, sunrises look equally as stunning:

D5F62A08-74C4-4ED8-9096-7E847523415C-5311-00000339AE934643_zps0373f2d1.jpg
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Flagstaff is awesome. A lot of the retirees here in Minnesota move to Arizona.

Aye?
  • dj_phx
    dj_phx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was born here and have lived all over the Phoenix Metro area. I absolutely love living here. Whenever I go on vacation I have fun, but I'm always glad to be home. Probably the only thing I don't like about it is it rains so infrequently that people forget how to drive when it does rain.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm native and I'll never move... I love the heat... I love tanning by the pool in April.. I can't stand the cold.. It's the most miserable thing in the world... AZ lovin!
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Love: tons of hiking, great mountain biking, even have some water for kayaking. weather forcast almost always has sun. no need for a snow shovel.

Hate: Dry heat or wet heat when its 110+ it's just F%^& HOT - that being said I still go hiking at 1 in the afternoon I just drink 4X as much :), North bound I-17 traffic on friday ><

Moved here at 17-25 went in Military then moved back 4 years ago when I got out. :)
  • ThePlight
    Options

Here you go....an untouched digital photo of an Arizona sunset, sunrises look equally as stunning:

D5F62A08-74C4-4ED8-9096-7E847523415C-5311-00000339AE934643_zps0373f2d1.jpg
    Can't look away. Still, nothing like seeing it in person, though :P
  • MuscleAndMascara
    Options
    I forgot to add what I hate and love about AZ

Hate: How crowded and dirty the city has become. Crime. Public schooling.

Love: the northern parts of AZ. the heat, the small towns, the sunsets, the hunting, the fishing, the hiking, the hole in the wall bars, the swimming in the lakes at midnight on a hot summer night, ...... I guess I could go on!

I was born here. So this is all I know to love I guess!
  • jules77az2004
    jules77az2004 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've lived here most of my life. I moved here when I was 2 and spent 4 1/2 years away when i was 18. I hate the summer heat. But love love love some of fall, winter and some of spring. :) I love being just a few hours from snow and would be in heaven if the ocean was just as close... ok that's wrong I'd be in heaven if summers weren't cook your brain hot from sun up to, well... in summers it doesn't truly cool off. But you know what I mean if you live here. :)
  • 1_JR_1
    1_JR_1 Posts: 179
    Options
    I was born here.... and so was my mother. I've been stationed elsewhere, and spent a few years working on Idaho, but am always drawn back here. It something about the clear skies and surrounding mountains. I could do with fewer tourists though.
  • teresand77
    teresand77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm not from here but I've lived in Southern Arizona for 7 1/2 years. I don't mind it but it's not the place I want to live forever.

I love the monsoons, the mountains, and the cold mornings. I also love all the family and friend visitors we get in the winter :). I don't like the extreme heat, lack of grass, the crime, and the poor schools in our area. My son is 2.5 and my goal is to move before he goes to school so we don't have to put him in school here.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    Options
    IF YOU HAVE AWESOME AZ PICS, PLEASE SHARE!!!!! :smile: :love:
  • ThePlight
    Options
    I second this.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Lived here my whole life.

Love: Dry heat (hate humidity), not freezing winters, no real natural disasters

Hate: Summer, sun, desert, scorpions, crowded, energy bills.
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    I am a native of Arizona. I sort of have a love hate relationship with this state.

The summers in Phoenix suck so so so so bad. I don't care what anyone says, one never gets used to the heat. I agree with the other poster about not enough water in southern AZ but if you're willing to travel a little further than Lake Not so Pleasant you can find some beautiful lakes with absolutely gorgeous scenery & the bass fishing is awesome! (Apache Lake, Canyon Lake, Roosevelt Lake)

I LOVE the fact that in the winter I can drive 2 hours north to Flagstaff and spend the whole day snowboarding at AZ Snowbowl, or drive a half day and spend the weekend at Durango Ski resort in CO. What is also nice is the fact that on a whim one can drive another half day to San Diego and enjoy the beach.

The 4 months out of the year that it's nice enough to be outside isn't worth it IMO though.

The scenery is gorgeous here outside of any major big city. Tucson is a dump, Phoenix is pretty bad too.

My favorite towns: Flagstaff, Jerome, Payson, Prescott, Tortilla Flats, Sedona, and that's about it.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Born and grew up and there, but no longer there, thankfully. I'm perfect at 60ºF and melt above 80ºF, **** that weather out there.

Few things I miss: The smell of the incoming rain. The sunsets are gorgeous. Not dealing with draconian emissions laws.
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

<--