What abs exercises do you recommend?

Options
Hi guys!

I know this subject has been debated here, but I really need some new opinions from your own experience regarding the abs exercises. I want to know exactly what kind of exercise did you do and helped with the belly reduction. Also I want to know how many times a week do you recommend doing them, I want to include them in my workout, as an extra push because I need to focus on the belly unfortunately.

Hugs and thank you!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My favorite ab / core exercise are (though I don't necessarily enjoy all of these):

planks
    planks w/ hip dips
    russian twist
    pushups
    leg lifts
    the wheel
    standing crunches
    Zumba
    bicycles
    side bends w/ dumbbells
    opposite Arm and Leg Raise
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Abs are really made in the kitchen, it's all about reducing that body fat. I usually do core workouts that involves a lot of planks in all sorts of variations as well as c sit too. I do try to keep my core tight when working out as well.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    fork put downs and table push aways

these are the most difficult to DO and to do continuously- but they are the most reliable- and most succesful of ALL ab exercises for spot reduction.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    fork put downs and table push aways

these are the most difficult to DO and to do continuously- but they are the most reliable- and most succesful of ALL ab exercises for spot reduction.

This.

Getting "abs" and improving your core strength are not the same thing.

If you want abs, you need to lose weight/lower your body fat percentage. If you want a strong core, then others have recommended some good exercises for that.
  • ciccanti38
    ciccanti38 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 c sections and I thought my chances for a flat toned stomach were over. I have done Insanity & p90x and the ab videos in both those programs have given me AMAZING results! I stand behind Beachbody 100%
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sorry but you can't spot reduce..

calorie deficit + compound lifts + lower body fat % = visible abs...
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It is said that abs are born in the kitchen, but really they are born through strength training and revealed in the kitchen. Your best bet is heavy strength work focusing on front barbell squats, along with eating at a deficit. For even better results you will want to modify your diet to be higher in protein and lower in carbs. I also recommend doing at least one day a week of an HIIT or Tabata workout of your choice. I highly recommend this article to get started: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Cable Crunches
    Front Squat Holds
    Weighted Sit-Ups
    Landmine 180's
    Heavy Dumbbell Side Bends
    Hanging or Lying Straight Leg Raises
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit + daily yoga (for me - a work in progress)
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    eat less.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    doing the main compound lifts (dead lift, squat, bench, and overhead press) do a lot for your core, because you are using you ab muscles for stability.

i generally work my abs at the end of a lifting work out, usually about 3-4 sets of a one exercise. i like doing crunches on a swiss ball, as you more directly engage your abs as opposed to crunches when flat on the floor.
  • ikearch
    ikearch Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Lose belly/fat = eat less.
    Ab workouts for muscles that I use are landmine 180's, tricep pushdowns and something I call weighted chops.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/13/muscle/abdominals
  • Simonino
    Simonino Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for answering! Got no excuse now just to put my *kitten* to work! Have a great day!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    And after all this, the OP still believes that exercise is going to reduce her waist size. Sigh.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Let's use the ab muscles in endurance mode, so the body stores more glucose and water there for more endurance ab workouts.

Lets see, would carbs and water stored in that muscle make it bigger or smaller?

And that would be underneath any fat already there.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I do 4 sets of 25 Crunches from floor to top of knees holding an 8lb medicine ball and three 1min planks
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    It is said that abs are born in the kitchen, but really they are born through strength training and revealed in the kitchen. Your best bet is heavy strength work focusing on front barbell squats, along with eating at a deficit. For even better results you will want to modify your diet to be higher in protein and lower in carbs. I also recommend doing at least one day a week of an HIIT or Tabata workout of your choice. I highly recommend this article to get started: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Why front rather that back barbell squats? Is this a posterior v anterior chain thing?
  • KymmyJoy
    KymmyJoy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The LM CX Worx has been really good for me. I find it easier to work with others and to music, it also gave me loads of ideas for extra things I could do at home. :)
  • Simonino
    Simonino Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    And after all this, the OP still believes that exercise is going to reduce her waist size. Sigh.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I said I am going to put my *kitten* to work, it's a matter of speech and it's not referring to exercising only, but taking into consideration all the variables including food.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Why front rather that back barbell squats? Is this a posterior v anterior chain thing?

Either one is good- but front requires you to balance up right more- it's just a more trunk taxing exercise.

I personally <3 front squats. I like them quiet a bit more than back squats- but I do both. LOL- I can just feel the whole trunk working WAY more with fronts. Either one will do fine really. When you get heavy enough your trunk is getting a hell of a work out through both lifts.