What abs exercises do you recommend?

Options
2»

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It is said that abs are born in the kitchen, but really they are born through strength training and revealed in the kitchen. Your best bet is heavy strength work focusing on front barbell squats, along with eating at a deficit. For even better results you will want to modify your diet to be higher in protein and lower in carbs. I also recommend doing at least one day a week of an HIIT or Tabata workout of your choice. I highly recommend this article to get started: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Why front rather that back barbell squats? Is this a posterior v anterior chain thing?

Either one is good- but front requires you to balance up right more- it's just a more trunk taxing exercise.

I personally <3 front squats. I like them quiet a bit more than back squats- but I do both. LOL- I can just feel the whole trunk working WAY more with fronts. Either one will do fine really. When you get heavy enough your trunk is getting a hell of a work out through both lifts.

I am also a front squat fan!

One variation that especially hits the anterior chain is the double kb front squat. There's extra work involved in holding the bells in the rack that has more of a forward pull than a barbell front squat. At least that's been my experience.

Obviously you can't load up your legs as much since you're limited to what you can double kb clean vs what you can unrack from a rack, but it definitely hits the trunk in a unique way.

Fork put downs and table push aways are the key though.....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I am also a front squat fan!

One variation that especially hits the anterior chain is the double kb front squat. There's extra work involved in holding the bells in the rack that has more of a forward pull than a barbell front squat. At least that's been my experience.

Obviously you can't load up your legs as much since you're limited to what you can double kb clean vs what you can unrack from a rack, but it definitely hits the trunk in a unique way.

Fork put downs and table push aways are the key though.....

My friend and I do something that I would say sort of mimics that- You do a BB front squat- but you don't hold it- you keep your arms up (mine look like goal posts- shoulder to elbow is parallel with the floor- and then at the elbow they bend and my forarms are like goal posts)

so you aren't HOLDING the bar- you just have to stabilize it. It's brutal- I can only do 95 lbs with those. LOL killer. killer.

I don't have access to KB's so no dble KB squatz for me.... have to stick with above nastiness and OHS. :D
  • LGS1974
    Options
    Weight loss and pilates has really helped. 30 day shred tones up all over (there is a FB page if you want motivation) and insanity looks crazy but effective.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    I don't have access to KB's so no dble KB squatz for me.... have to stick with above nastiness and OHS. :D

I have a bum shoulder, so OHS scare the *kitten* out of me. But it's another fantastic "core" (urghhh....) exercise. You'll soon find weak points in the anterior chain overhead squatting......

I can pull it off with double kbs, but something about the barbell messes with my joint!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    yeah it's tricky with shoulder stuff- but it's VERY telling. I always tell myself I'm doing technically only because mine aren't great... but the bar and maybe a few little plates kicks my *kitten*- even if I do sets with JUST the bar- I get my butt handed to me.

There is just no escaping the suck. LOL
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    It is said that abs are born in the kitchen, but really they are born through strength training and revealed in the kitchen. Your best bet is heavy strength work focusing on front barbell squats, along with eating at a deficit. For even better results you will want to modify your diet to be higher in protein and lower in carbs. I also recommend doing at least one day a week of an HIIT or Tabata workout of your choice. I highly recommend this article to get started: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Why front rather that back barbell squats? Is this a posterior v anterior chain thing?

Either one is good- but front requires you to balance up right more- it's just a more trunk taxing exercise.

I personally <3 front squats. I like them quiet a bit more than back squats- but I do both. LOL- I can just feel the whole trunk working WAY more with fronts. Either one will do fine really. When you get heavy enough your trunk is getting a hell of a work out through both lifts.

Thanks. I fail at front squats as I have arthritis in my wrist and its agony when I try. I wish I'd started lifting when I was younger but hey ho
  • jimmmer
    Options

Thanks. I fail at front squats as I have arthritis in my wrist and its agony when I try. I wish I'd started lifting when I was younger but hey ho

Have you tried the crossed-hands front squat rack position?

front-squat--crossarm_1.jpg
  • jimmmer
    Options
    There is just no escaping the suck. LOL

Agreed!
  • JoRocka
    Options

I have a broken left wrist- it's visible still crooked and doing that backward finger bend thing- is unsiglight- it freaks other people out as much as it skiives me out!!!

This cross method is how I do my front squats... or again- hands free version!!!

Also would recommend Zercher squats- no wrists involved there either :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    And after all this, the OP still believes that exercise is going to reduce her waist size. Sigh.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I said I am going to put my *kitten* to work, it's a matter of speech and it's not referring to exercising only, but taking into consideration all the variables including food.
    In reality, you don't have to exercise at all to lose body fat around the waist. That will specifically come down to calorie deficit and how your genetics are. Exercise is for fitness, strength and overall health. So the first thing you should look at is your actual deficit and whether or not you're being consistent on it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts. I will also occasionally do planks (weighted) and high to low cable twists (aka lumberjacks). I go heavy to build muscle. If you want to see that muscle or get a smaller waist/stomach, you have to lose fat.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    I have found over the years that crunches worked the best for me. I know they work because if I stop doing them my abs get soft and when I do them on a regular basis, I get definition and firmness in my abs. It's what has worked for me. Hope this helps!
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    First off everyone has abs albeit they my be hidden under a layer of fat. So really a calorie deficit is all that is really needed with this core exercises such as squats, deadlifts overhead presses will really add in burning bodyfat...there also is a genetic factor to abdominal development. Some people can show six packs and others will only show definition or an outline at low bodyfat levels.

In my opinion I would look at weight resistance training and keeping at a calorie deficit until you reach your ideal goal.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options

I have a broken left wrist- it's visible still crooked and doing that backward finger bend thing- is unsiglight- it freaks other people out as much as it skiives me out!!!

This cross method is how I do my front squats... or again- hands free version!!!

Also would recommend Zercher squats- no wrists involved there either :D

Thanks again guys, I will try these. Cheers