What are you eating for Thanksgiving?

Options

Replies

• jljewell
    jljewell Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm going to stick to my calories. We're having Thanksgiving at home and I'm making the turkey roulade from Cooking Light with apples and cranberries, roasted kale, and some homemade dinner rolls. We don't like potatos or gravy, so this works well for us. I'm thinking about making a pie for dessert.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to eat and enjoy myself ...

I don't eat meat, so no turkey. But I'll eat almost everything else (except green bean casserole, because yuck).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    forget the food.
    drink the booze
    call it a day.

cersei-wine-game-of-thrones.gif
    GOT for the win!
  • jaycbrf4
    Options
    Turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, gravy, mashed potatoes, ham, cheesecake, ice cream, and a few beers to wash it down. Oh Yeah!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's one day...I'm not going to worry about it...just like I didn't worry about it last year and still hit my goal BF% earlier than anticipated. Your health, nutrition, fitness, etc is not predicated on what you do for one day or a handful of special occasions throughout the year...it is predicated on what you're doing most of the time.

IMHO you should enjoy the day...give thanks for all of the blessings in your life and enjoy the time with your family and friends. Life is full of hustle and bustle, sometimes it's nice to just sit down with everyone and celebrate all that is good in our lives.

Also, there is such a thing as middle ground...all of these holiday posts (and they are abundant every year) assume one of two things...either you're going to restrict yourself and worry about counting every last calorie or you're just going to go flat out crazy and explode out of your stretchy pants...I just don't see why people can't enjoy their feast with some moderation. I've never been a fan of stuffing myself...never like the feeling. Yes, I will be consuming more calories that day than my maintenance but I won't be stuffed to the gills...and it's one day, it's not going to ruin anything or derail anything.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I always enjoy the holidays. If you are trying to be 'good', I recommend enjoying the turkey and anything green - beans, salad, etc. Turkey is delicious!!
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat everything and log nothing! I plan on making that deal with myself as long as I just limit that to Thursday only. No leftovers.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving - absolutely and Christmas too! (probably Christmas eve as well since my family does things on both days) I figure life is too short not to enjoy a day or two now and then! I don't plan on logging those days.
  • pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I will be going to one of his relative's house. Given that I don't know what's on the menu it's hard to say what I'll eat but I plan to stick to meat, potatoes and salad. I don't like stuffing or green bean casseroles or a lot of the other traditional things people make. I find most deserts to be too sweet so don't feel compelled to eat them very often. I like my sweet potatoes with butter and a little maple syrup so if it involves marshmallows I won't be trying any.

I don't consider the holidays a problem eating-wise. I like my wine and cocktails though so with all the extra holiday functions we attend I have to monitor my alcohol intake a bit more than normal.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating a little of everything but maybe no dessert. My family is known for its SUPER HIGH FAT thanksgiving meal, so small portions and lots of water will be my friend.
    I am making a "healthy" sweet potato casserole and I can already tell you my family isn't going to love it as much as my usual b/c I'm cutting out atou 75% of the fat.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    We are making the following:

Turkey
    Collard Greens
    Sweet Potatoes
    Sweet potato pie made with a nut crust with home made whipped cream from raw cream.
    Macaroni and Cheese for my husband
    I will also make my husband some home made yeast rolls
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Everything I can. I love family meals. I love food. I love holidays. Did I mention I love food?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Whatever I want. It's one day. :)
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Definitely pumpkin pie!
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I will be logging nothing and eating everything.

Yep! Esp the desserts
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I have already started filling out my food diary. I'm going to have a houseful of relatives and I love gravy! I'm going to allow myself 2000 calories that day only and go for a long walk. What are you planning to do to get through the holiday?

I plan on NOT logging, eating everything I love and passing out into a food coma afterwards. On Friday I'll be doing a huge sweaty kickass workout and I will return to my portion controlled healthy eating habits!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    forget the food.
    drink the booze
    call it a day.

I love Game of Thrones!

OP, I will be eating everything my grandmother makes for us, because who knows how much longer she'll be able to cook for us?

Our usual spread is:

Homemade sourdough rolls
    Green Bean Casserole
    Hominy Casserole
    Broccoli and Rice Casserole (Yes, at least THREE casseroles!)
    Deviled Eggs
    Chicken and Dumplings
    Turkey
    Ham
    Candied Sweet Potatoes
    Macaroni and Cheese
    Brussels Sprouts or Asparagus
    Possibly squash dressing
    Regular Turkey Dressing

and:

Assorted pies, HUGE homemade Teacakes, and an awesome Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecake that my aunt makes.

Yeah, I'm going to eat like calories don't matter...without guilt...and love it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    We are making the following:

Turkey
    Collard Greens
    Sweet Potatoes
    Sweet potato pie made with a nut crust with home made whipped cream from raw cream.
    Macaroni and Cheese for my husband
    I will also make my husband some home made yeast rolls

And wine!!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    forget the food.
    drink the booze
    call it a day.

GOT for the win!

LOL, I"m pretty sure this is my exact facial expression when the drama starts. Fortunately, Thanksgivings have been very tame lately - and this year there will definitely be no drama.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna eat whatever I want, as much as I want, as long as I have comfortable room for it in my stomach -- meaning no stuffing myself silly, but also no rules or restrictions. I'm also going to drink the hell out of some wine.