200 grams of Protein a day

Options

Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Too much protein isn't good for your body. It doesn't have the ability to process excess amounts of protein. It's harmful to your kidneys, and it causes you to use fat cells for fuel rather than carbs, and you have the risk of heart issues due to stress from kidneys malfunctioning. Make sure to educate yourself before you harm yourself.

Good luck!

define "too much".

This.......Layne Norton has a PHD in protein metabolism.

and this.....well worth the watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmV8BlsJTQ
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Obviously you are NOT going to gain fat by increasing your protein intake. And as far as body weight that is also irrelevant. I know 125 pound women who do more protein than I do.

What? I dont even know where to begin with this...

I completely agree. If you increase protein enough to be in a surplus then you will gain weight. It can be muscle, fat, or a combo of the two. So, your comment on NOT going to gain fat by increasing your protein intake is what is irrelevent.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to start this new magic trend of gaining muscle and not fat just by eating more...

All you need is 400 grams of protein a day. Nothing else. Doesnt matter how much you weigh and you can still weigh 125lbs BRAH!

How much do you protein tho bro?

Broooooooooooo!!!!!!

It depends. If I am doing a lot of cardio I up my protein intake by 2 grams of protein per minute. I normally take 1 gram of protein per minute when I lift, but I know that cardio eats a lot more muscle than fat so I take extra protein on those days. Thats in addition to the regular 400 in the normal diet.

Unless I workout first thing in the morning. Since I am in starvation mode when I wake up I normally drink a protein drink before working out, while working out, and then a post workout recovery drink. Except if I am doing cardio that morning. Then I just fill a camel bak full of a mixture of vodka, red bull, protein and creatine and just suck on it for the rest of the day.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Obviously you are NOT going to gain fat by increasing your protein intake. And as far as body weight that is also irrelevant. I know 125 pound women who do more protein than I do.

200 g for you probably isn't too much. Looking at your profile pic, you look like you are close-ish to 200 lb?? So that's about 1 g/lb body weight.

200 g of protein is about 800 calories. If your 125 lb woman friend is eating 2000 cal/day, then 800 would be 40% of that, so nothing outrageous there. If she is on 1500 cal/day, then that's over half her calories as protein, not leaving much for fat or carbs. Depending on her macro goals, that might or might not be excessive.

There is no recommended maximum amount of protein we should eat. 200g would be fine for most people, baring an underlying kidney issue.

But eat too much of any food [protein, fat or carbs], and it will get stored as fat.

btw - what did you notice a HUGE difference in when you switched to 200 g protein? Strength, fat loss... what? And what were you doing before?
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Too much protein isn't good for your body. It doesn't have the ability to process excess amounts of protein. It's harmful to your kidneys, and it causes you to use fat cells for fuel rather than carbs, and you have the risk of heart issues due to stress from kidneys malfunctioning. Make sure to educate yourself before you harm yourself.

Good luck!

define "too much".

This.......Layne Norton has a PHD in protein metabolism.

and this.....well worth the watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmV8BlsJTQ
    Good video indeed.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Where do you find your LBM?

I think i did it once.. but don't remember and it told me something like 160ish (is that possible for me?? idk.. lol) so i try to eat somewhere around that number..

H 5'10"
    W 181.8
    female
    BF 34% (per a trainer at the gym but i think that's high)
    BMR: 1600
    TDEE 2800
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Good luck!
    Perhaps a person with kidney problems shouldn't be consuming too much protein, but a person with no kidney issues shouldn't have problems consuming 1 or even up to 2 grams per LB of bw. I have been consuming 1 to 1.25 grams per. LB of bw for years and all of my kidney test and other test come back normal.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was about 1g protein per 1lb LBM - in spite of the fact that I have a science degree and the notion of grams per lb makes my brain scream. Puts me on about 150g per day.

I think I'd find it hard to eat very much more than that because its the most expensive macronutrient...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Protein contains about 4 cal per gram, the same as carbohydrates......eat at a caloric surplus and you will gain fat, it's not rocket science.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to start this new magic trend of gaining muscle and not fat just by eating more...

All you need is 400 grams of protein a day. Nothing else. Doesnt matter how much you weigh and you can still weigh 125lbs BRAH!

Broooooooooooo!!!!!!

It depends. If I am doing a lot of cardio I up my protein intake by 2 grams of protein per minute. I normally take 1 gram of protein per minute when I lift, but I know that cardio eats a lot more muscle than fat so I take extra protein on those days. Thats in addition to the regular 400 in the normal diet.

Unless I workout first thing in the morning. Since I am in starvation mode when I wake up I normally drink a protein drink before working out, while working out, and then a post workout recovery drink. Except if I am doing cardio that morning. Then I just fill a camel bak full of a mixture of vodka, red bull, protein and creatine and just suck on it for the rest of the day.

if you're not drinking tuna & whey smoothies 3 times a day, you're not serious about your lifts.

do you even blender?!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I once followed a specific fitness program that had a nutrition plan calling for 1.5 grams protein per body weight during the fat-burning cycle. There were other specifics to the plan and a weight training along with it. I had great fat-burning results & also had LBM gains. Nothing bad about it. well, other than I was eating most of the time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I get more full- that's all.

My goal is 200 and I barely make it but I'm barely trying- I just am happy to get all my food in for the day. Mine's only 40% of my macros and it's still 200. I'm usually sitting around 150 comfortably without forcing the issue.

But yes- It's good to eat that much- I feel so much more full and just way less 'icky' than when I round out my diet with carbs.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

I think i did it once.. but don't remember and it told me something like 160ish (is that possible for me?? idk.. lol) so i try to eat somewhere around that number..

H 5'10"
    W 181.8
    female
    TDEE 2800

Your current weight is 182 lb, and 34% of that is fat (assuming for now that number is correct). Everything else is Lean body mass.

So, you have 182 * .34 = 61 lb of fat.

182 (Total) - 61 (fat) = a LBM of 121 lb.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 180/day, so 200 for a dude doesn't seem unreasonable at all. It's about what my husband shoots for and he's a strength athlete too. I need a certain amount of carbs too though, to keep my brain functioning optimally. Some people do better on low-carb diets, but through self-experimentation, I know it's high protein, low fat, and the rest carbs for me.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

H 5'10"
    W 181.8
    female
    TDEE 2800

Your current weight is 182 lb, and 34% of that is fat (assuming for now that number is correct). Everything else is Lean body mass.

So, you have 182 * .34 = 61 lb of fat.

182 (Total) - 61 (fat) = a LBM of 121 lb.
    That's on par with me too; doesn't seem unreasonable. Even people in good shape who exercise a lot can still have a high body fat.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    For me, more protein is better. It's only when I increase do I see an actual loss in body fat. Guess you can just experiment and see what works for you. :)

Same here, although it's hard to get my daily requirement sometimes.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I am pretty sure this is only the case if you have kidney problems. Excess protein is not harmful to healthy kidneys. Again I am fairly certain this is the case...

Sorry... just saw this was covered already.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I am pretty sure this is only the case if you have kidney problems. Excess protein is not harmful to healthy kidneys. Again I am fairly certain this is the case...

that's all I've ever heard/read.
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options

Broooooooooooo!!!!!!

Bahahahahahaha :flowerforyou:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Obviously you are NOT going to gain fat by increasing your protein intake.

If you eat a caloric surplus, you sure can.