200 grams of Protein a day

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Obviously you are NOT going to gain fat by increasing your protein intake.

If you eat a caloric surplus, you sure can.

OP is on the 1g of broscience per pound BW
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    this is EXACTLY the type of thread that is misunderstood by the internet ignorant.

it started kind of trollish and then actual good information gets posted that people can learn from.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    When I have excessive protein (>175g a day) it offsets my carb intake, and I find that my workouts suffer. If I can't workout with sufficient intensity, I won't be stimulating as much growth, and presumably I'll be under-utilizing all that protein. So it seems self-defeating. Not trying to present this as fact - just my own personal experience.

Of course, I only have about 140lb of lean mass. If you're carrying 190lb of lean mass, perhaps you can eat 200lb of protein and still have plenty of calories left over for adequate carbs.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Obviously you are NOT going to gain fat by increasing your protein intake.

If you eat a caloric surplus, you sure can.

OP is on the 1g of broscience per pound BW

:laugh:

:drinker:
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    200g of protein a day?

not too sure..

ask my butt-hole and my stool
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Obviously you are NOT going to gain fat by increasing your protein intake. And as far as body weight that is also irrelevant. I know 125 pound women who do more protein than I do.

OBVIOUSLY you should stop giving "advice". You know nothing. Ok, on we go. More than 1-1.5g of protein per lb of body weight is really tough on the kidneys and liver. Your body can only process so much anyway (I think it caps at around 50g digested at a time but don't hold me to it). If you eat more, (whether it be protein, carbs, or fat) than what your body needs, you WILL gain weight. Doesn't matter where the calories come from.
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    How do you "do" protein? Is it better for muscles than eating it? :huh: :drinker: Srs, not srs...
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Obviously you are NOT going to gain fat by increasing your protein intake. And as far as body weight that is also irrelevant. I know 125 pound women who do more protein than I do.

OBVIOUSLY you should stop giving "advice". You know nothing. Ok, on we go. More than 1-1.5g of protein per lb of body weight is really tough on the kidneys and liver. Your body can only process so much anyway (I think it caps at around 50g digested at a time but don't hold me to it). If you eat more, (whether it be protein, carbs, or fat) than what your body needs, you WILL gain weight. Doesn't matter where the calories come from.

OBVIOUSLY you should stop giving "advice". also. Did you even read the science behind protein metabolism?
    Go back and watch Layne Norton's video (the guy with a Phd in protein metabolism.. not random guy in forum).

As he says you can absorb almost any amount of protein in a meal......however the anabolic response gets maxed out at around 30-40 grams. Also it is people with existing kidney and liver problems that should not be eating too much protein.

Here is the link for you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmV8BlsJTQ&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLEEE569A5A86E2E19
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I don't think that anyone who isn't on gear is eating enough protein to cause any damage to the kidneys.

I'm eating around 1-1.2g/lb (285-340 grams) per day and I've been feeling great.

But to clear one thing up, if you do nothing and eat a +500 calorie surplus per day of pure protein over your TDEE, you're going to gain a pound of fat per week.

hell noooo brooooo it will be all muscle...dont ya know..??
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Uh, you DO? :huh: Name three.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

by "doing protein" do you mean banging protein or eating protein? That is the distinction that matters....
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    If consuming 200g of protein a day works for you and you feel great doing it.... keep doing it.
  • D8vidFitness
    Options

by "doing protein" do you mean banging protein or eating protein? That is the distinction that matters....

sad you don't know what "doing protein" is,

is like doing meth

just snort it.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options

[/quote

OBVIOUSLY you should stop giving "advice". also. Did you even read the science behind protein metabolism?
    Go back and watch Layne Norton's video (the guy with a Phd in protein metabolism.. not random guy in forum).

As he says you can absorb almost any amount of protein in a meal......however the anabolic response gets maxed out at around 30-40 grams. Also it is people with existing kidney and liver problems that should not be eating too much protein.

Here is the link for you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmV8BlsJTQ&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLEEE569A5A86E2E19

Ummm Ill stick to REAL science instead of YouTube science. If its on the Internet, it must be true! Read a real book. Do some real research.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Yes....layne norton is published. ...but believe what you want then.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

[/quote

Here is the link for you

Ummm Ill stick to REAL science instead of YouTube science. If its on the Internet, it must be true! Read a real book. Do some real research.
    Layne Norton posts published research quite often, he does studies over protein metabolism, absorption and optimal protein synthesis. Like things you would find from a college library database and post for a college level course.

While alot of the top nutritionists(masters and phd of nutrition) disagree on little things, They all know that there hasnt been a set number of unhealthy protein for people with normal functioning kidneys and liver.

Now even in people with acute renal failure, they have found that .67g/kg has been effective for maintaining muscle mass due to high muscle catabloism they usually experience. That being said, that was a hospital intervention to preserve the health of a patient. In chronic renal failure they keep it 20-40g.

In regards to high protein intake where you take in more than required. There is something people do not really know.
    Protein contains 4 calories. the thermic effect of protein is about 25% just to be metabolized by the liver. Excess protein will undergo gluconeogenesis which costs about 33% of the current energy it holds. That 3 calories will turn into 2.
    Hypothetically if you glycogen storage was completely full(which it rarely is) it would undergo De novo lipogenesis and it consumes another 33%. it would turn into fat at 1.3 calories.

Now all of these are averages based off of studies and are highly individiaulized. in regards to the TEF of protein, many of them have agreed it is generally 25%.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I eat around 200-250g a day. Though I downright thrash my body doing lifting & cardio 5 days a week. Though I spread it out over 3 meals and 2 snacks (Protein Powder).
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is still finding examples of 125 pound women who eat more protein than he does.

EDIT: Sorry, who "do" more protein.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    OK! After I cut to my goal weight, i was planning on bulking up. That includes heavy lifting and eating at a slight calorie surplus. I saw a few articles relating to this .85 grams of body weight. Now my question is, and I seen it both ways and am confused. Is that .85 grams per lean body mass or .85 grams per your total body weight? I seen both mentioned.

Here's an article that talks a bit about it... it cites a lot of sources. Also, it looks like it's 0.82 gram per pound of body weight.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/