200 grams of Protein a day

Options
I've noticed a HUGE difference increasing my protein to over 200 grams a day. Is anyone else doing this and for how long? What's the good and bad in doing so?

Replies

• tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It just depends on your body weight. Anything more than around 0.85 grams per pound of body weight, per day... doesn't really help any more. It's not bad, but 0.85 is all you really need to not be "short" of protein.

Besides, what kind of difference are you referring to? Gaining more muscle? Losing more fat? Are you trying to gain or lose weight?
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Obviously you are NOT going to gain fat by increasing your protein intake. And as far as body weight that is also irrelevant. I know 125 pound women who do more protein than I do.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Obviously you are NOT going to gain fat by increasing your protein intake. And as far as body weight that is also irrelevant. I know 125 pound women who do more protein than I do.

What? I dont even know where to begin with this...
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Dayyyummmm this playa snapped :bigsmile:
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Too much protein isn't good for your body. It doesn't have the ability to process excess amounts of protein. It's harmful to your kidneys, and it causes you to use fat cells for fuel rather than carbs, and you have the risk of heart issues due to stress from kidneys malfunctioning. Make sure to educate yourself before you harm yourself.

Good luck!
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Dayyyummmm this playa snapped :bigsmile:

felix-chuckle-o.gif
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Dude!! Ask for advice, you recieve it then get snarky with it.....not to mention the bogus comment that makes no sense what so ever....:grumble:
  • ElectricDragon
    ElectricDragon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but can't excessive protein lead to gout down the road?
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to start this new magic trend of gaining muscle and not fat just by eating more...
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Too much protein isn't good for your body. It doesn't have the ability to process excess amounts of protein. It's harmful to your kidneys, and it causes you to use fat cells for fuel rather than carbs, and you have the risk of heart issues due to stress from kidneys malfunctioning.

This.

Just because you're eating more protein doesn't mean you're actually USING more protein. More than likely, you'll just end up hurting your kidneys if they get overloaded past the protein that your body can actually use.

But whatevs. Enjoy your thread.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to start this new magic trend of gaining muscle and not fat just by eating more...

All you need is 400 grams of protein a day. Nothing else. Doesnt matter how much you weigh and you can still weigh 125lbs BRAH!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    It just depends on your body weight. Anything more than around 0.85 grams per pound of body weight, per day... doesn't really help any more. It's not bad, but 0.85 is all you really need to not be "short" of protein.

Besides, what kind of difference are you referring to? Gaining more muscle? Losing more fat? Are you trying to gain or lose weight?

OK! After I cut to my goal weight, i was planning on bulking up. That includes heavy lifting and eating at a slight calorie surplus. I saw a few articles relating to this .85 grams of body weight. Now my question is, and I seen it both ways and am confused. Is that .85 grams per lean body mass or .85 grams per your total body weight? I seen both mentioned.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am down!!!! I will be the first to try your new magic trend!!!!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

All you need is 400 grams of protein a day. Nothing else. Doesnt matter how much you weigh and you can still weigh 125lbs BRAH!

How much do you protein tho bro?
  • abickford82
    Options
    For me, more protein is better. It's only when I increase do I see an actual loss in body fat. Guess you can just experiment and see what works for you. :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

OP is full of wisdom today.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1141023-what-is-the-alternative-to-not-gaining-muscle?page=1#posts-17751522
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I've heard kidney stones and gout with too much protein intake.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Too much protein isn't good for your body. It doesn't have the ability to process excess amounts of protein. It's harmful to your kidneys, and it causes you to use fat cells for fuel rather than carbs, and you have the risk of heart issues due to stress from kidneys malfunctioning. Make sure to educate yourself before you harm yourself.

Good luck!

define "too much".

http://www.biolayne.com/uncategorized/myths-surrounding-high-protein-diet-safety/
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

OK! After I cut to my goal weight, i was planning on bulking up. That includes heavy lifting and eating at a slight calorie surplus. I saw a few articles relating to this .85 grams of body weight. Now my question is, and I seen it both ways and am confused. Is that .85 grams per lean body mass or .85 grams per your total body weight? I seen both mentioned.

0.85 g per lb of lean body mass or 1 g per lb of total body weight. Some places will say up to 1.5 g/lb total weight is better if you are bulking and doing serious strength training.

EDIT: Got it the wrong way round! 0.85 g/lb Total weight; 1.0 g/lb LBM.
  • ljw5021
    ljw5021 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't think that anyone who isn't on gear is eating enough protein to cause any damage to the kidneys.

I'm eating around 1-1.2g/lb (285-340 grams) per day and I've been feeling great.

But to clear one thing up, if you do nothing and eat a +500 calorie surplus per day of pure protein over your TDEE, you're going to gain a pound of fat per week.