"Regular Women" in Lingerie....Opinions?

Options
12346»

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    TIL I am now "average" sized.... wow. surreal. in light of this, I'm in on the "average" sized thread too!
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Oh. I thought this would be 'average' sized women (You know, size 6-8-10-12? The often over looked 'inbetween' sizes? Because you're either teeny tiny or large, but that middle ground can't get so much as an acknowledgement let alone a lingerie campaign) but it's actually women on the larger size. I see.

Average sized chicks, forgotten again. /kicks rocks

This.

Let's do our own photoshoot. :bigsmile:

Could be fun. Average sized woman pin up thread? So much potential!

That would be super cool, actually.

Hmm.

Too bad I doubt it'd be allowed on the forums as its own thread.

What if we call it fitspo/lable it 'average body acceptance awareness'? There is literally nothing to celebrate 'in between sizes'. Its time we had our day!

That sounds doable. IN!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Oh. I thought this would be 'average' sized women (You know, size 6-8-10-12? The often over looked 'inbetween' sizes? Because you're either teeny tiny or large, but that middle ground can't get so much as an acknowledgement let alone a lingerie campaign) but it's actually women on the larger size. I see.

This.

In for the pin up thread!!

As for the post...

THE COMMERCIAL AT THE BEGINNING WAS WAAAAAY TO FREAKIN' LONG!!!!!

That bugged me. Much.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    TIL I am now "average" sized.... wow. surreal. in light of this, I'm in on the "average" sized thread too!

Hmm. I bet this idea could get some steam. Its probably have to be bikinis, as lingerie is probably too risqué, but I think it could be an interesting theme.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Seriously. I think of "regular" as somewhere *in between* 6 feet tall and size 4 and obese. WTF.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    another validation article? holy h-ll are women really that insecure? I thought I was insecure, but I'm starting to realize I might actually have some body confidence. Once you figure out what media does to sale images, and see a few naked bodies you realize we're pretty much all the same.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I like lingerie on women of all shapes and sizes. It adds intrigue, and leaves some play for the imagination.

The whole body type thing gets me. What is a "regular woman". Attractiveness is not based on body shape or size. For instance, today I saw a woman of about 18% body fat, that was not physically attractive to me at all. A few minutes later, I saw a woman with about 30% body fat and she was very attractive to me. I have also seen women with similar percentages, and the attractiveness was reversed. Poise, confidence, and fat distribution go a long way for me as to what I find physically attractive.

ETA: Uh. I finally got the article to load, and I would not classify the women in the article as "regular" Many of the ones I saw were morbidly obese. I know there is an obesity epidemic, but I still have a hard time believing that these ladies are within 2 standard deviations of the mean. I could be wrong, but that is not my observation.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    *yawn*

Another "An obese person decides to identify their body as sexy and enjoy showing some skin! How dare they!" post. Woohoo!

Also, way to harp on the title as a reason to justify the obvious fat-phobia. I know we're all on a calorie counting website so most of us are trying to lower the amount of fat on our bodies, but just because you feel the need to look a certain way doesn't mean everyone wants to or needs to. The "oh but it's so unhealthy" claim is really thinly veiled body policing. Very thinly veiled.
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    *yawn*

Another "An obese person decides to identify their body as sexy and enjoy showing some skin! How dare they!" post. Woohoo!

Also, way to harp on the title as a reason to justify the obvious fat-phobia. I know we're all on a calorie counting website so most of us are trying to lower the amount of fat on our bodies, but just because you feel the need to look a certain way doesn't mean everyone wants to or needs to. The "oh but it's so unhealthy" claim is really thinly veiled body policing. Very thinly veiled.

At the end of the day, I don't care what anyone does, but opinions were asked and opinions were given. And it is unhealthy, but if that is what they choose, so be it. Not harming me. The point that most people were making was that various body types weren't shown, just obese. If someone at HuffPost made the exact same article, but only showed thin women and called them "regular" they would have caught so much h_ll.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    *yawn*

At the end of the day, I don't care what anyone does, but opinions were asked and opinions were given. And it is unhealthy, but if that is what they choose, so be it. Not harming me. The point that most people were making was that various body types weren't shown, just obese. If someone at HuffPost made the exact same article, but only showed thin women and called them "regular" they would have caught so much h_ll.

They don't need to. It's called advertising and women see it every day.

Also, if you really didn't care what women do with their bodies and only wanted to state your opinion you really wouldn't have commented like 8 times (too lazy to go back and count) in this thread. And wouldn't need to make a sarcastic comment about how someone gaining weight would make them sexy. You SO don't care.

boom-o.gif
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    *yawn*

Also, if you really didn't care what women do with their bodies and only wanted to state your opinion you really wouldn't have commented like 8 times (too lazy to go back and count) in this thread. And wouldn't need to make a sarcastic comment about how someone gaining weight would make them sexy. You SO don't care.

boom-o.gif

Or maybe I just like sharing my opinion on something. Having a voice about a topic isn't the same as "caring". I have talked to my wife about "The L Word", but I couldn't care less. And did you seriously just "boom" gif your own comment? That is laughable. I can sense you are trying to fish for an argument so this will be the last I am responding to you. Hope you have a good one!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Obesity is the biggest health problem in the US. And it's only getting worse. I have a big problem with calling morbidly obese people normal and I have a problem with fat acceptance in general.
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    If "normal" was an island off the coast of the Caribbean, I'm stuck in traffic in Jersey...

oh wait...you meant physically...ah well...hmmm
  • _SantaClause_
    _SantaClause_ Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    *yawn*

boom-o.gif

Or maybe I just like sharing my opinion on something. Having a voice about a topic isn't the same as "caring". I have talked to my wife about "The L Word", but I couldn't care less. And did you seriously just "boom" gif your own comment? That is laughable. I can sense you are trying to fish for an argument so this will be the last I am responding to you. Hope you have a good one!

At least you can see she is just fishing for an argument..
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    *yawn*

boom-o.gif

At least you can see she is just fishing for an argument..

When I was younger and felt like I needed to prove something (to whom I don't know, everyone I suppose) I did the same thing. My real life is so awesome that things said on the internet don't bother me in the least.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    This is horrible. Women are either photoshopped to look anorexic (and even models that are already super thin YES...I work in fashion and I have seen it first hand!) or we are now perpetuating the idea that obesity is "normal"? What is wrong with our society? It makes me sick. Either extreme is very unhealthy. Why can't we promote real women in all of our pear, apple, mix-matched shaped bodies that we have? THAT would be real and healthy, not ads like these that are obviously a joke.

FYI not only are photographs photoshopped but also videos and film! YES all those actresses and actors are not as perfect as they seem on camera or on film. When I learned this, I was shocked because I thought at least with film that it was capturing something real. Nope. Wrong , once again.
    :flowerforyou:
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Obese women are not supposed to be "regular women" IMO.
  • mobbb
    mobbb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ain't nothing regular about them women

More like beached sea whales in small tangled nets
  • JessH0204
    Options
    I love the Dove ads, if they wanted to show "regular" women they should follow that lead. All shapes, all sizes. In theory, I think they were just trying to embrace the "imperfect" woman but they failed. I am a size 6 but I have stretch marks and other imperfections, this is the direction that the ad should have taken.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

This.

That would be super cool, actually.

Hmm.

Too bad I doubt it'd be allowed on the forums as its own thread.

What if we call it fitspo/lable it 'average body acceptance awareness'? There is literally nothing to celebrate 'in between sizes'. Its time we had our day!

well my pics would be aloud because I wear pj pants and shirts to bed lol