Beyond starting over

Options
Ugh - so I crawled back here after a 4 year absence.

You know what's hard about starting over? Having to lose weight to get back to a point that you used to consider unacceptably over weight.

In my mind, for the past few years, I've thought of myself as "around 220 pounds." A few times I've weighed myself and when I got to about 225, I'd cut back a bit, walk a bit more, and then I'd feel better.

Anyway, I weighed myself yesterday, and I'm at 230. Yesterday I logged my food. I received the encouraging message that if every day is like yesterday, I'll be at 225 in 5 weeks.

225? No way! 225 is supposed to be my starting point. It's like I have to lose weight before I can start losing weight. It's like starting a race, but having to go a few blocks away from the starting line.

Anyway, I'm not asking for advice. I'm just ranting because I know there are people in here who know exactly what I mean! If anyone wants to post *pat pat pat* for me, and say "there there there," that would be nice . . .

Replies

• nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!!!!!

I'd say Re-set your mind. You ARE starting where you are, and there is no changing that. Just keep Going this stop! As you've learned when you stop, its so much harder.

How old is your daughter? I'm an older mom too. I will be 48 next week and my kids are 4 and 6. They are my motivation to keep this up to keep up with them and be here as long as I can
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Ooof, feeling for you here! I hate having to go over old ground, it sucks. You *can* do this - go get it!!
  • mslissa82
    mslissa82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! I actually started up again a few weeks ago. I thought I was doing a great job, and then I had a wellness exam at work yesterday. Their scale weighed me in at 6 lbs heavier than I thought that I was. Turns out the scale that I was using at home was off. Now it feels like I worked so hard just to back track. I was discouraged, but I bought a new scale last night and am fighting harder today. We can do this!!!
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I knew I wasn't the only person who ever felt this way! And the advice to start where I am is good advice.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. Six months ago I thought I'd gained only 15 pounds back, but it turned out to be around 30!

I've been here ever since and I have only three pounds left until goal.

All I have to say is......

You can do it and you've got plenty of support here! :bigsmile:
  • Terran1976
    Options
    I did the same thing. Got down to as low as 175 and then back up as high as 235. Just a "little" over 200., I thought. It sucked. But I'm back down to 180. It still sucks but you can do it
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yep bought the ticket for that ride as well. Lost all my weight then slowly gained it all back over the last six years and have had to start all over again. Getting my head back in the right space has been so much harder knowing what I'm facing to lose it all again, but I broke it down, looked at the first 5pds and then when you reach that aim for the next 5, keep that final weight way at the back of your mind so it's not so overwhelming. Good luck and feel free to add me if you need support and encouragement along the way!
  • egrant13
    egrant13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm kind of in the same boat... So I'm starting with my first goal, a very small one: to lose my "first" 5 pounds by Christmas. I am hoping I will look better, feel better... And Merry Christmas to me! Thought I would let you know, because if I can reach my goal anyone can... Best of luck!!
  • pennmimi
    pennmimi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Can't even tell you just how similar I'm feeling now. Got fed up with being overweight and unhealthy and lost a good deal during my sophomore/junior year of college...then had a stressful senior year at school and gradually gained it all back PLUS some. Kills me that I have to lose a decent amount just to get back to my old highest weight.

Definitely good advice to just start where you are. Good luck to you! :)
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I thought I was at 390 and when I went to the doctor I was 405. I had already started MFP about 3 days earlier so had to adjust my weight. We all start somewhere and 230 and 405 are just numbers.

When I was 18, I was in the hospital because I was having a full blown psychotic episode brought on by sleep deprivation and refusal to eat. I couldn't weigh on their scale so they took me down to the dock to weigh me on the truck scale. I weighed 304.

Good thing I was nuts at the time or I might have been upset. :)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Been up and down over these many years, salicylate has been a complicating factor for me. I have so far to go that I have an historic under bust measurement and an approximate weight end goal. I log every day, weigh occasionally now. I am descending on a gentle slope at last. I have realised I have never known what it is to be me with an incredibly low level of salicylate in my system.

I know what I expected to look like at 14 7 lb, but this time the clothes I wore 3 years ago were decidedly slack on me.

All the best
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I think it's easy for us to 'round down' in our minds and try to reduce the amount of weight we've regained. I've fluctuated by a few kgs over the past couple of years, but I keep an eye on it and eventually do something about it if I get up too far. I'm on my way back down to my lowest recent weight now... one day I'll manage to actually get to a 'healthy' BMI!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I was shocked that I was over 200 pounds a year ago. I thought of myself as " in the 180s." So I had to put some work on just to get back to where I assumed I was. It feels discouraging, but you can do it if you get started and keep going. As the cliche goes, if I can do it, anyone can.
  • KTC2411
    KTC2411 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! I, too, am starting again. I am determined to do it this time (how many times have I said that?). Good luck with it all.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    right there with all of u. Lost, maintained for almost 9 months and in the past 6 months, 10lbs has crept back on. Now my winter clothes from last year are tight, I am depressed and here I go again. I am back on track but it is going to take a while to get these last 10 off again. I have a goal of 5 lbs off by X-mas and the last off by Feb (my b'day). I am sick and tired of thinking about food all the time. What I can eat, not eat, ate too much of etc. I want the mind insanity to stop. I am exercising and tracking. Here we go for T-day at the In-laws. Out of town so it is a week of Cajun high fat foods that I will say no to as even 1/2 cup of whatever is usually 300 cals or more.

Good luck to everyone and hang tough.
  • LittleSister
    Options
    Ooof, feeling for you here! I hate having to go over old ground, it sucks. You *can* do this - go get it!!

Too much facebook in my life - tried to click "like" for this post - heh heh!!!
  • LittleSister
    Options
    Welcome back. Six months ago I thought I'd gained only 15 pounds back, but it turned out to be around 30!

I've been here ever since and I have only three pounds left until goal.

All I have to say is......

You can do it and you've got plenty of support here! :bigsmile:

Thanks for the inspiration!!!! Congrats on your success - even though you had to do twice as much work as you originally anticipated!!!
  • LittleSister
    Options
    I did the same thing. Got down to as low as 175 and then back up as high as 235. Just a "little" over 200., I thought. It sucked. But I'm back down to 180. It still sucks but you can do it

Wow, sounds like I was singing a familiar song, 'eh? I remember how depressing it was to get into the 200 range. Back in the days when I was in the upper 100's, esp in the 190's, I thought I was overweight but thought to myself "At least I'm not over 200 pounds - I would NEVER let myself do that." Famous last words . . . Anyway, sounds like you are SO on the right track, so I'm following you! :-)
  • LittleSister
    Options
    Hey! I'm kind of in the same boat... So I'm starting with my first goal, a very small one: to lose my "first" 5 pounds by Christmas. I am hoping I will look better, feel better... And Merry Christmas to me! Thought I would let you know, because if I can reach my goal anyone can... Best of luck!!

And an early Merry Christmas to you! That's kind of what I had in mind - just get 5 pounds off my Christmas.
  • LittleSister
    Options
    Can't even tell you just how similar I'm feeling now. Got fed up with being overweight and unhealthy and lost a good deal during my sophomore/junior year of college...then had a stressful senior year at school and gradually gained it all back PLUS some. Kills me that I have to lose a decent amount just to get back to my old highest weight.

Definitely good advice to just start where you are. Good luck to you! :)

Thanks so much for the encouragement! Yes . . . we start where we are! (sigh)