why is egg white so good but yolk so bad?

Options
13»

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs are good for you, but like anything, too much of one thing and the calories add up quickly. The yolk is nutrient rich because that is what feeds the baby chick (the egg white) until it hatches. A large egg has 70 calories. Egg white from one egg has 17 calories and the yolk has 53. The white is full of protein, keeps me feeling full and my cat loves the yolk. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    There is nothing "bad" about egg yolks. Egg yolks are where all of the nutrition is. I eat two whole eggs every single day. Also, if you're worried about dietary cholesterol, get your *kitten* out of the 80s and into the 21st century.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Even if we concede that yolks are ok, why did nature produce whole milk, and not 1% or 2%? Something doesn't add up.

Maybe you're joking? Not sure....

But anyhow, the milk of cows, as "produced" by "nature" is the perfect food for calves, otherwise known as baby cows.

Now, should humans choose to drink it, it can also be a part of a healthy diet, depending on each individual's standards. That is true whether a person drinks, according to their preference and goals, full fat milk, skim, or anything in between. They can also be healthy while drinking none at all.

The same is true of egg yolks. They were "produced" to meet the entire nutrient source for a developing chicken embryo. They work marvelously.

Should an individual choose to eat them, they can receive the benefits of the vitamins, fat, and calories (fuel) found in the them. There is nothing "bad" about them. Some may choose not to include them in their diet at all; this is also not "bad." Some may choose to find their vitamins and fats elsewhere and limit their egg intake to more calorie-moderate yolks.

There just isn't a problem with any of this.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options

not only are the yolks DE-LICIOUS, it is the most horrendous waste of food to throw them away

i have an egg monster in my house aka the cat! If ever i decide not to eat the yolk, he gets it. Hes also very handy if i accidentally drop one-quickest clean up ever! ????
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Its not the yolks that are bad, its the whites! (No scientific or medical reasoning here, I just don't like the whites lol)
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has said, yolks aren't bad. Also "nature" did not intend to make eggs for human consumption, they are intended to form a living organism when fertilized. That said, they are nutritious and delicious!

huh? explain!

Ummmmmm,

0bb69f87_954-not-sure-if-serious.jpeg

What? I thought nature made eggs for people?
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I love how people jumped on the "yolks are bad" comment and not on the ridiculous premise of your question.

Carry on.
  • NormInv
    Options
    I love how people jumped on the "yolks are bad" comment and not on the ridiculous premise of your question.

Carry on.

Dont hate
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    They aren't!
  • NormInv
    Options
    If you think it's bad sadly it's because you are uneducated

Typical MFP snob. Just because I have a different opinion doesnt make you the expert. Bro!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Even if we concede that yolks are ok, why did nature produce whole milk, and not 1% or 2%? Something doesn't add up.

Maybe you're joking? Not sure....

But anyhow, the milk of cows, as "produced" by "nature" is the perfect food for calves, otherwise known as baby cows.

Now, should humans choose to drink it, it can also be a part of a healthy diet, depending on each individual's standards. That is true whether a person drinks, according to their preference and goals, full fat milk, skim, or anything in between. They can also be healthy while drinking none at all.

The same is true of egg yolks. They were "produced" to meet the entire nutrient source for a developing chicken embryo. They work marvelously.

Should an individual choose to eat them, they can receive the benefits of the vitamins, fat, and calories (fuel) found in the them. There is nothing "bad" about them. Some may choose not to include them in their diet at all; this is also not "bad." Some may choose to find their vitamins and fats elsewhere and limit their egg intake to more calorie-moderate yolks.

There just isn't a problem with any of this.

Except for my own typos, which I only just noticed. Of course, I meant "to meet the nutritional needs" or "to be the entire nutrient source" - got caught in between somewhere. Also "more calorie-moderate whites."
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Eggs are disgusting. All of them. Eggs and yolk. Hard boiled, soft boiled, scrambled and poached. Ew, ew, ew.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with the yolks. They have cholesterol yes, but its the good kind that your body can use. Just as long as you're not eating too many in a short time.
    Also eggs have a protein that is hard to find in other foods.
  • NormInv
    Options
    So much arrogance and ignorance in this thread...ugh
  • hipomix
    Options
    I think everything is good in moderation. But obviously you can't be like : 'Oh!! no no, not the yolk!!' and then eating a bread roll...
  • NormInv
    Options
    I think everything is good in moderation. But obviously you can't be like : 'Oh!! no no, not the yolk!!' and then eating a bread roll...

yeah bread is full of carbs. yuck!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

What does one have to do with the other?
  • 2Heavy2Long
    2Heavy2Long Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    "Over easy" egg yolks are bad for you. The evidence provided below is undisputable.

DSC06026.jpg