The best dog breed for a child?

Options
twinketta
twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
I have a friend that is thinking about getting a rescue dog for a Christmas present for her 7 year old boy. She already has a dachshund (4 year old sausage dog)

I love my sweet natured toy poodle and have suggested that poodles are a good choice to get along with her dachshund.

But, it is going to be a rescue dog, so there may not be a breed as such.

Any suggestions from you dog loving MFP people?

Replies

• _SantaClause_
    _SantaClause_ Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My pitt/boxer mutt is the best dog with kids I have ever seen.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    stuffed.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    We have a little King Charlies - He is idea, knows his place and hasn't got a bad bone in his body
  • _SantaClause_
    _SantaClause_ Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    stuffed.

Wrong.
    Kids can choke on the stuffing.
  • twinketta
    Options
    stuffed.

I am so sorry that you are stuffed...how sad :yawn:
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,428 Member
    Options
    I think labs are the best kid dogs hands down but rescue dogs can be problematic depending on what they've been rescued from. I'd be more concerned with the dogs temperament than its breed.
  • twinketta
    Options
    My pitt/boxer mutt is the best dog with kids I have ever seen.

I am sure that there will be lots of staffies and boxers in `care` do you think your dog would get on with a little daschund also?

You have to remember there is a dog there that is used to being a family member
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    German Shepherd!!! Smart, loyal, active, and very good with people and kids. If you get them as a pup and bring them up you wont ever have to worry about anything with him around.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My Jack Russell is great with my 17 month old. We got her at the shelter, but we tested her with the baby before bringing her home. She is so sweet and gentle even with the occasional tail tug or leg pull.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    My sister and I both grew up around my family's blue heelers. Most mild mannered dogs I have ever worked with!
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Golden doodles are great, as are female beagles. Males tend to wander a bit more.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Is the adult prepared to walk, insure, feed and pay the dog's vet bills when the child loses interest in the Christmas dog?

Serious question and not trying to be nasty at all. It's just there is nothing more heart-breaking than a rescue dog going back into rescue kennels because his/her new home didn't work out.

(dog rescue volunteer)
  • twinketta
    Options
    We have a little King Charlies - He is idea, knows his place and hasn't got a bad bone in his body

And they are such a cute dog to see running along, when I take my little poodle out I never worry when I see a King Charles comes running over chasing a ball.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    we have a Cocker Spaniel-Dachshund mix and our kids love him he's super good natured. Have also heard that Samoyed's are really good with kids. Not sure what size of dog you are looking for
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Something tiny and fwuffy. Actually, they could be terrors. I dunno. If I had a legion of tiny, fwuffy dogs, I'd try to train the to be attack dogs just because.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Your friend will need to worry about ALL breeds of dogs and what her current dog will tolerate, along with her 7yr old.

As for my house, we got a german shepard/border collie mix from the humane society. She's awesome with our 4 kids. We only had 2 kids when we got her and our dog was great with the next two additions.

Your friend will just have to take her child and dog to see what will make the best fit for them
  • twinketta
    Options
    Is the adult prepared to walk, insure, feed and pay the dog's vet bills when the child loses interest in the Christmas dog?

Serious question and not trying to be nasty at all. It's just there is nothing more heart-breaking than a rescue dog going back into rescue kennels because his/her new home didn't work out.

(dog rescue volunteer)

Oh believe me, she worships the little sausage dog she has already, and I think the new little Xmas present, is going to an addition to her caring nature.

I think her main concern is that it will get along with her dog and a breed that her child will feel at ease with...also that it will be a rescue.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Just don't try to actually bring the dog home on Christmas-- that's way too much stress for a new dog, especially a rescue.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I've been involved in dog rescue for over 20 years and it's really about the temperament of the individual dog more than anything. The most bites were from dogs who were made anxious by the loudness and high activity level of children. Look for a dog that loves to be right in the middle of the fray, not one that shies away from it. Breeds from the retrieving and herding groups are usually the best bet, but again - it's the individual that matters. The worst dogs with kids I've seen are the sight hound and toy groups.

And I know people will jump on me for this, but I wouldn't put a mastiff/molosser type with little kids and small dog. You always have to acknowledge and respect what a dog was bred to do. Generally speaking dogs will express their gene characteristics whether you teach them to or not. Pointers are going to point, herders are going to herd, and fighters are gonna fight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
    Your friend will need to worry about ALL breeds of dogs and what her current dog will tolerate, along with her 7yr old.

As for my house, we got a german shepard/border collie mix from the humane society. She's awesome with our 4 kids. We only had 2 kids when we got her and our dog was great with the next two additions.

Your friend will just have to take her child and dog to see what will make the best fit for them

^^This is the answer. I worked in shelters, doggie day care and did a little behavior training. The dogs will or will not get along based on the dogs' temperament and your friend's ability to control both of them and her child. She really needs to take her dog and child to meet and spend time with any dog she chooses if she has any doubt. The doxie may end up being the biggest problem.