What was your "moment"?

Options

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Mine was finding out that while I didn't have a miscarriage, I had scared the nurse practitioner enough with my blood pressure that she sent me to a doctor that same day. She was afraid I would have a stroke...at 31. :sick:

Found out I was hypertensive and type 2 diabetic. What the **** had I been doing the last ten years? Apparently not caring.

I was successful in losing 50lbs after that. Then...I worked for a horrible excuse for a person, on top of still not getting pregnant, and I stopped caring again. Put back on 38 of the 50 I had lost.

Now we're 5 years into trying to start a family and it's a last ditch effort to lose 25-30lbs just so I can take clomid. My cut off date is my 37th birthday, which will give us about 5-6 months to keep trying after that. If not, I honestly don't know. Invitro is not something I want, neither is adoption (don't start with me. Just don't.) I can't guarantee myself I won't have a melt down. That's what scares me the most. I'm typically a calm but cheerful person, but when I get low, I get really, really low. I don't know. I just...don't know.
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    November 3rd I held a baby shower for a friend's daughter. Someone took, and posted a picture of me sitting at a table. I was disgusted. I knew I was big but it didn't sink in how big until I saw that picture.
  • yumbinkbugonrox
    yumbinkbugonrox Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My moment began in November 2012. I wanted to purchase health insurance so, you know, I could be healthy. The guy at the insurance place was slightly condescending, but whatever. I needed to go in and get a physical done. So I did, and the scale told no lies...I waited patiently for several weeks to hear back from the insurance company, and I didn't....so I finally called and the guy told me that their risk department determined that I was too risky to be covered at the lower premium. I felt mortified, angry, and disgusted. And then I realized I had to do something. So I decided that this year, I was taking my health seriously. I began in January 2013 and, I joined MFP in March 2013. I have lost 54 lbs. MFP has been such a godsend. I read the community quite a bit, I look for inspiration and humor from others. I am grateful for MFP this thanksgiving!

I sort of went through this period of resentment towards my past over the past few months where I would think, "Damn, why would I do this to myself? How did I let myself get to this point?", but I've worked on self-forgiveness so that I can continue this path and try to reach "one-derland" by January 2014. I'm only about 6lbs to go...I CAN DO THIS!
  • yumbinkbugonrox
    yumbinkbugonrox Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I started writing all of my food down in a paper log and thought "this all looks really healthy and good with just a few 'bad' items now and then, must be something wrong with my metabolism!" And then a few months later, after a weekend at a car show and seeing photos where I still looked a lot fatter than I felt.

Also this!!! I had to take responsibility for what I was putting in my body. But I had to drop the shame first. Shame never works.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Ending up in the emergency room in hypertensive crisis after visiting an urgent care center because I'd been feeling run down for the past few months and not getting any better. My BP was 212/143 (IIRC). I'm not sure if it was due to chronic stress at work, having not slept much (or well!) in the past four months, terrible diet, genetic predisposition for hypertension, 3-5 drinks a day...or some combination. In any event, I visited a doctor after that ER incident and my BP was very high (150/100) so she put gave me some BP meds, but they caused by BP to go so low at times that I'd almost pass out when getting out of my chair (90/50 or less).

I did some research and found that managing BP via diet and exercise was more effective than any drug, and here I am.

My BP seems to have improved significantly in the past month or so. It still spikes on occasion, and I'm still trying to figure out what triggers that, but it's averaging 123/84 for the past week, so it seems the diet and exercise is working...oh, and not having more than 2-3 drinks an evening, because having 3+ drinks pretty much guarantees elevated blood pressure the following day. And I thought I was having my regular 3-4 daily beers to "relax". It seems too much of a good thing for my head isn't such a good thing for my body.
  • 777rock
    Options
    that is an awesome story...good for you!:happy:
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    My moment was when I didn't even want to be in any pictures-I couldn't walk up steps-my legs rubbing together--and almost to big to fit in a chair-I said enough is enough-I started writing it down-going to the gym-I didn't like what I saw-so its been 5 years and today I can run up those same steps I couldn't even walk up -and I am half the size of the chair-I lost a whole person :)
  • lisamarietn1227
    Options
    my moment was seeing a picture a friend took of me...hadn't realized how out of control my weight had gotten.
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I had two of them....all this year. The first was when I quit smoking back in February. My son was outside with me and picked up a cigarette butt and imitated daddy. That was the end of that!

The second, was on 10.21.13 - doctor showed me my latest test results, and my A1C was at 7% and he officially labeled me as a diabetic. Month later...down 22 lbs and dropped 20 pts off my BP.
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It was my 37th birthday. It was a holiday and I didn't have work to occupy my mind. I was sitting at home feeling lonely and depressed and without any sense of optimism that things would ever improve. I didn't feel like I had any options left. Giving up and ending it all was one option I was prepared to take. I decided to give the whole weight loss / getting fit / getting happy one last hard try. At least that way if I did decide to end things I could do so without any regrets of never making an honest effort at it.

The rear is history.

I made small changes to begin with. A salad for dinner. A short walk for exercise. Eat better, exercise more. Eighteen months later and things are going great. I'm busier than every but having the absolute time of my life. I'm down 175 pounds and wake up every day ready to make the most of it. I have goals and plans for the future and I've found the joy in trying to reach them.
  • beckalina29
    beckalina29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My moment happened on the Nov. 15th. That was the day that I realized if I hadnt had a miscarrage my baby would have been a month old. After my miscarrage I was in a dark place and wound up gaining back the 30 lbs I had previously gotten rid of. The dr. told me it was most likely my obiesity that caused me to lose the baby. So my turning point was on the 15th. I decided if I ever want to start a family I desperatly needed to change. It has been hard and my family all say they support me but do nothing to back me up. So any motivation, tips or buddies woukd be appreciated.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My moment was when I didn't even want to be in any pictures-I couldn't walk up steps-my legs rubbing together--and almost to big to fit in a chair-I said enough is enough-I started writing it down-going to the gym-I didn't like what I saw-so its been 5 years and today I can run up those same steps I couldn't even walk up -and I am half the size of the chair-I lost a whole person :)

I have lost 99 lb from my heaviest, so not quite a whole person yet (maybe a very small person hehe) but yes. So much this.

One of my favorite ongoing NSVs is being in an office chair, bath tub, or theater seat and sitting slightly to the side and seeing how big of a space is left empty next to me. I used to fit tightly in most of those spaces. It motivates me!
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    when I seen pictures of my 30th birthday party :'( still haunts me
  • jaynalawayna
    jaynalawayna Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My moment was when I got a call from my doctor telling me I was going through kidney failure and I my blood sugar was so out of control I had to start insulin injections. He set me up with a diabetic educator who outlined how and what I should be eating and when and gave me suggestions for exercise. I followed it carefully and dropped 40 pounds and hit a wall. I joined myfitnesspal after trying to break down that wall for about 4 months. It's still painfully slow weight loss - but I'm not going back. Now my kidneys are doing fine, I'm off of insulin and back on oral medication. I'm off of cholesterol medication completely and the doctor is considering reducing my blood pressure medication.
  • Hitsujikai
    Hitsujikai Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My moment was about a month, so about 2 months ago now, after my girlfriend and I attended a wedding and we got the pictures back. She looked absolutely stunning in her bridesmaid dress and I looked like an elephant in a suit.The real moment came though when we showed the pictures to my mother, she picked my girlfriend out of every picture we showed her and in every single time she would ask who the fat guy next to her was ... It was always me!

Pretty much decided right then and there that I was losing the weight so my mother could recognise me in photos again :smile:
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Mine was at my eldest son's first Sports Day when he was just 5 (he's now 10) he wanted me to run with the other Mums in the Mummy's Race and at 18:05 (257lbs) that was never going to happen.

I decided there and then that something had to change. I lost 8 stones (118lbs) over 8 months on a VLCD (I started 2 days after the sports day) and I have been maintaining there or there abouts ever since.

I am now at my lowest ever adult weight and ran my first half marathon this autumn and am scheduled to run a marathon next Oct. My son now comes running with me on a regular basis and it is the most wonderful feeling in the world.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I saw this, and realized that it was right. I found MFP while looking for fitness forums that day, joined up, and here I am today. It was the silliest thing, but it really did get me off my lazy butt. I'm glad I saw it.

mlsebq.jpg
  • I was looking at pictures from a conference I was at and I didn't even recognize myself.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    When my boyfriend got down on one knee and proposed and I had to force the ring down my finger. I was mortified. That was on August 31st. After some back to back events and much celebrating I rejoined MFP on September 30th and haven't looked back since.

I'm happy to report that I've made some strides since then...also my ring now needs to be resized. :)
  • angulasalajillo
    Options
    Going shopping for work trousers with my mum and having to buy a size 18 (UK).
    My mum said "How did you get to be an 18? Even I don't need an 18...I never thought I'd see the day that you're bigger than I am".
    That evening we both hopped on the scales and I weighed nearly 10kg more than she did.
    The look on her face said it all... for the first time in my life I felt that she was ashamed of me.