Should GIRLS do weight training?? in front of guys

Options

Replies

• Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing most of the guys think it's great to see a woman in the free weights area. Some guys look at everyone in there. Just realize they don't care what you are doing, just that you are there is great. I'd recommend picking up a copy of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and learn proper form for the main compound lifts and start learning how to lift with heavy weights that will make an amazing difference in your body. Best wishes to you.
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    I weight lift around guys all the time, and they all seem really friendly and genuinely helpful. One time, I was trying to take some big weights off of one of the machines and one of them offered to help me.

I wouldn't worry too much. From my experience, guys are just happy to see you lifting and they don't make any negative judgements. If they do make negative judgements, it's not because they're guys, it's because they're *kitten* holes.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    maybe they were staring because you were staring at them?
  • chriswhudson
    Options
    What do guys actually think of girls who weight train?.................Answer from average gym guy
    a) In our mind we are accessing your beauty
    b) In our mind we are evaluating your physical features
    c) In our mind we are wondering if you notice us
    d) In our mind we respect the hard work you put into it
    e) You provide instant motivation and energy into the room

What do guys actually think of girls who weight train?,,,,,,,,, Answer from Ego driven, steroid consuming wieght lifting maniacs
    a) Please stay over there, I need room to lift all these weights
    b) I hope she finishes fast that is my next set?
    c) What a waist of time, you need to lift really heavy to make this work
    d) Man she is a distraction, look at all these guy's starring, wasting good time between sets
    e) I bet she will not make it more than 3 days in here
    f) why come in here if you don't plan on doing this full time,
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Weights are awesome. Male or female, it doesn't matter. With any luck those that are staring and just keeping an eye out to see if you need any help/advice.....and that's not because you're female.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    What do guys actually think of girls who weight train?,,,,,,,,, Answer from Ego driven, steroid consuming wieght lifting maniacs
    a) Please stay over there, I need room to lift all these weights
    b) I hope she finishes fast that is my next set?
    c) What a waist of time, you need to lift really heavy to make this work
    d) Man she is a distraction, look at all these guy's starring, wasting good time between sets

you for got G
    g) She better have a sammich ready for me when I am done.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    If they are legitimate lifters, they think it's great that you're there, if they even notice you at all.

If they aren't legitimate lifters (and most of them aren't), they are more afraid of you than you are of them. Trust me.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    If they are legitimate lifters, they think it's great that you're there, if they even notice you at all.

If they aren't legitimate lifters (and most of them aren't), they are more afraid of you than you are of them. Trust me.

:huh: :huh:

What is or isn't a legitimate lifter?
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Well, when I see a woman weight training in the gym, I don't really think anything, because she's there for the same reasons as everybody else.

In all honesty, I don't think anybody will care. They're there to get fit, just like you.
  • thatonepersonfromtheinternet
    Options
    Continue weight training in front of them. You're they're for the same reason as they are, so screw what they think!
    (Also, speaking from personal experience, if they harass you or make you feel threatened, inform the staff)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Who gives a crap what they think. It is highly unlikely they are even looking. Put your big girl panties on and go lift. You pay for a membership just the same as they do.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you're wearing anything that reveals your shoulders, I'd presume you're a hooker.

I told you....just get me drunk....
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Who gives a crap what they think. It is highly unlikely they are even looking. Put your big girl panties on and go lift. You pay for a membership just the same as they do.

If she's wearing panties, big girl or not, they're looking :tongue:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    If you're wearing anything that reveals your shoulders, I'd presume you're a hooker.

I told you....just get me drunk....

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Do what's working for you, and forget the rest, leave it out of your head. People are saying that you should up your weights I say no, it's just as hard and better to work in adage slowly and thoroughly, I train my muscles this way because I wanted toned arms all way and certain exercises I do with light 3kg or 1.5kg weights can be done with 10kg and up

Why, exactly is it better to use lighter weight? Please enlighten us.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

Well, firstly, they never have to ask that question.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options

I know this is what they were thinking at my gym when they saw my fat butt waltz into the weight room lol. But, after seeing me there day in and day out...they just go about their own business.

The only other female that goes in there gives a giggle when I come in and moves elsewhere (her boyfriend is very polite though :)).....she doesn't bother me either though. I'll soon be thin again (besides I already lift more than she does :) )
  • MityMax96
    Options

Well, firstly, they never have to ask that question.

So I guess I am not then...
  • sugamonstaa
    sugamonstaa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just ignore it and don't care anymore. I used to be self conscious but you get over it and focus on your workout after a while.
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Okay I'm 18 years old and I've done weight training (light reps, e.g. 10 kg lunge weight) but with more than 800 reps in a single workout (which includes both upper and lower body). Therefore it's high reps and low weight training.

I'm petrified of the weights section at my gym and usually weight train at home. That's because the majority of that section is filled with huge, muscular guys pumping, some with their nostrils flared, teeth clenched. eeeeeeeeeek Anyway I went there yesturday with my light weights (lol I know) but I did enjoy a full body workout which was good. However, I felt so many stares from the guys, which was emphasised by the use of mirrors :O

Therefore, I felt self conscious... I've been to weight training classes so I hope I have good form and stuff, but are they just staring because of the light weights?? And should I train at home instead.. leave that domain to the guys??

What do guys actually think of girls who weight train?
    a) ARGHH she's trying to get buff and it's not looking good
    b) those weights are light pfft
    c) oh a girl who isn't doing cardio, interesting
    d) she's trying to hang out with guys
    e) that's awesome

Thanks!!

I'm my experience, most fellas at the gym could care less - they're more focused on what they're doing.