today I ate 2000 calories.

Options
I'm supposed to eat 1200 and I feel terrible. is this going to screw up my diet? :(

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's one day....your health, fitness, nutrition, weight, etc is not predicated on one frackin' day...it's what you're doing most of the time that matters. 2000 calories is maintenance for the average woman...BTW, today I ate 3000 + and I'm just fine.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    No, not at all. I fluctuate my calories from 1250-1550+ calories daily. Did you work out? I tend to eat more on days that I work out. If you go on Youtube & type in cardio workouts, I'm sure you can find a quick 15min HIIT video & burn like 200+ calories. It'll all even out if you look at your weekly stats as long as you stay towards your target. If 1200 is too low for you, try upping it & see how you feel. You will lose the same amount of weight. I started at 1200 and now I'm eating more than that now & losing the same. Good luck!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I bet that isn't even over your maintenance.

When you close out your diary for the day, it'll tell you your 5-week weight gain -- that can often be reassuring when you've been over. Seeing something like 'if you ate like this for 5 weeks, you would gain 1 lb' definitely tells me that I'm not on the right track but I haven't just ruined my diet.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I ate over 2800, and I did that on purpose. I eat over 2000 calories every day and I'm losing weight. Even if you are significantly smaller than I am, one day of 2000 calories is NOT going to hurt anything. Go through what you ate today and figure out what you can do better for tomorrow, and then don't worry about it.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Are you going to let it screw up your diet? One day never made anyone fat. Stop eating for today and do better tomorrow (and the next day, etc.).
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I'm over 4000 calories so far today and I am not done yet..... OP I agree with the others you probably didn't even go over maintenance and regardless it was only one day.... Best of Luck
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    No......unless you plan to do it regularly and it means that it negates Your weight loss efforts. Maybe look at the reason Why??? Special occasion....cool, so-called Cheat Day....again go for it. But if you are starving at 1200, the very minimum set by MFP maybe it is just too low for you and you need to readjust your goals and settings.

Please go and check out threads from much more experienced and smarter people than me and investigate such topics as TDEE, Eat More to Weigh Less or threads that talk about the 1200 calorie setting also one called Guide to Sexypants (I think). Good Luck and be gentle on yourself this isn't the end of the World.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I really do not know how someone can only eat 1200 calories a day. I usually have around 1200 calories for my dinner.

One day isn't going to hurt you, it will probably do your body some good, tbh.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat between 2200-2500 calories every day. I'm 40, 5'9" and 135 lbs. I can't imagine eating less than 2000! I'd be so hungry! I'm on maintenance now, but even when I was actively losing, I always ate around 2000 calories a day.

I think you'll be fine. :-)
  • ambiences
    ambiences Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The problem with today was I stupidly ate 5 pieces of dominos pizza and cake and ice cream because I went to a birthday party. Thank you all for your reassurance and input :)
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I eat between 2200-2500 calories every day. I'm 40, 5'9" and 135 lbs. I can't imagine eating less than 2000! I'd be so hungry! I'm on maintenance now, but even when I was actively losing, I always ate around 2000 calories a day.

I think you'll be fine. :-)

Just to hijack the thread... I'm 5'8" and trying to get down to 160, how active are you? I've got less than 20lbs to go so I'm trying to figure out around where my maintenance intake will be at that weight and use that for my calorie setting. Since I'm working on a very small deficit, I'm just trying to figure out how my activity level should factor in to where maintenance will likely be at that weight.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    The problem with today was I stupidly ate 5 pieces of dominos pizza and cake and ice cream because I went to a birthday party. Thank you all for your reassurance and input :)

Then you ate way more than 2,000 calories. But the same advice still stands - tomorrow is a new day. And don't weigh yourself for a few days while you're digesting. :smile:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

That is where we differ, I wouldn't call eating pizza and ice cream (and cake) stupid, I would call that Delicious and move on...... You have to learn to enjoy those discretionary food items and not think of them as bad for you.... Best of Luck
  • ambiences
    Options

Then you ate way more than 2,000 calories. But the same advice still stands - tomorrow is a new day. And don't weigh yourself for a few days while you're digesting. :smile:

Well I ate 2011 according to MFP. I had a small piece of cake and a serving of ice cream. I kinda did count two small pieces I ate as 1 piece. Yeahhhhh.....I had like 1000 calories alone on the pizza. :(
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I average around 1700 cal/day at 5'2". I haven't had any problems losing at this point. One high cal day is not going to be a problem (mine was over 3000 last week). I hope you enjoyed the birthday party. Don't get so wrapped up in the numbers that you forget to enjoy your life. :flowerforyou:
  • ambiences
    Options

That is where we differ, I wouldn't call eating pizza and ice cream (and cake) stupid, I would call that Delicious and move on...... You have to learn to enjoy those discretionary food items and not think of them as bad for you.... Best of Luck

True...it was delicious...perhaps I'll just start anew tomorrow.
  • ambiences
    Options
    I average around 1700 cal/day at 5'2". I haven't had any problems losing at this point. One high cal day is not going to be a problem (mine was over 3000 last week). I hope you enjoyed the birthday party. Don't get so wrapped up in the numbers that you forget to enjoy your life. :flowerforyou:

I'm just all fussy because I'm JUST starting this diet and I'm nervous I won't see results. Numbers are scary things, I'll try not to get wrapped up. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're "supposed" to eat 1200 calories because you told MFP you were in a hurry.

You ate less today than I eat most days and I'm over twice your age (and therefore have a much lower BMR).

Eating more than you want one day will not mess you up (especially given that you ONLY ate 2000 calories).

Out of curiosity, given your "age" etc. what is your TDEE and what is your BMR?

You can do this. It will be easier if you feel a little more in control, which you might, if you know a bit more about yourself.

Start here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Learn to eat them WITHIN your calorie goals. Which is sometimes harder when you're younger, and want things fast. Again, a good reason to know your BMR and TDEE and eat between them.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to ruin your diet. It hasn't ruined mine to have a day or three like that since August. Unless you are planning to never attend another birthday party, you have to learn to eat at them and let it go. I have every intention of doing so 5 times between now and Boxing Day: Thanksgiving, three of my kids' birthdays and Christmas. The trick is to plan for it and don't go too far overboard.