today I ate 2000 calories.

Options
2»

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat between 2200-2500 calories every day. I'm 40, 5'9" and 135 lbs. I can't imagine eating less than 2000! I'd be so hungry! I'm on maintenance now, but even when I was actively losing, I always ate around 2000 calories a day.

I think you'll be fine. :-)

Just to hijack the thread... I'm 5'8" and trying to get down to 160, how active are you? I've got less than 20lbs to go so I'm trying to figure out around where my maintenance intake will be at that weight and use that for my calorie setting. Since I'm working on a very small deficit, I'm just trying to figure out how my activity level should factor in to where maintenance will likely be at that weight.

I walk 10,000-12,000 steps a day (usually broken up over several walks throughout the day) and try to lift weights for 45 minutes 2-3 times a week. I have a completely sedentary desk job, M-F from 8:00-5:00. So, I guess I'd call myself moderately active?
  • ambiences
    ambiences Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to ruin your diet. It hasn't ruined mine to have a day or three like that since August. Unless you are planning to never attend another birthday party, you have to learn to eat at them and let it go. I have every intention of doing so 5 times between now and Boxing Day: Thanksgiving, three of my kids' birthdays and Christmas. The trick is to plan for it and don't go too far overboard.
    Oh gosh I am nervous for these holidays. I'm gunna try to stay under control but not be too hard on my self.
  • ambiences
    ambiences Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You're "supposed" to eat 1200 calories because you told MFP you were in a hurry.

You ate less today than I eat most days and I'm over twice your age (and therefore have a much lower BMR).

Eating more than you want one day will not mess you up (especially given that you ONLY ate 2000 calories).

Out of curiosity, given your "age" etc. what is your TDEE and what is your BMR?

You can do this. It will be easier if you feel a little more in control, which you might, if you know a bit more about yourself.

Start here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I believe my BMR was between 1660 and 1780 (I got different results from different websites.) And my TDEE was something like 2080...I think :/
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I walk 10,000-12,000 steps a day (usually broken up over several walks throughout the day) and try to lift weights for 45 minutes 2-3 times a week. I have a completely sedentary desk job, M-F from 8:00-5:00. So, I guess I'd call myself moderately active?

Hmmmm, I'm a teacher so I'm on my feet a lot. I'm also lifting 2-3 times a week as well as doing 2 5k's with wind sprints and a long run once a week. I'm eating around 2345 right now but I haven't lost anything in three weeks. Trying to decide if the weight loss is stalling because of the new routine or if my intake is too high. I can't imagine how that intake COULD be too high with my activity level, height and weight but...

I should probably just be pateint and give it another couple of weeks, easier said than done.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I average around 1700 cal/day at 5'2". I haven't had any problems losing at this point. One high cal day is not going to be a problem (mine was over 3000 last week). I hope you enjoyed the birthday party. Don't get so wrapped up in the numbers that you forget to enjoy your life. :flowerforyou:

I'm just all fussy because I'm JUST starting this diet and I'm nervous I won't see results. Numbers are scary things, I'll try not to get wrapped up. :)

I am sorry that you are stressing over the numbers. I am not a pro at this, if I were, I wouldn't be where I am. I can speak from experience though. Anytime I have tried to follow 1200 cal/day, I would become ravenous after a few days, eat way over, become ashamed and embarrassed by my lack of self-control, and give up. I could go a few months, do really well, shake off the bad days, and then it was all over. Another poster recommended calculating TDEE. This what has been working for me so far. I have some extra flexibility built in, and I don't feel so stressed about everything. I hope you can find a balance where you are able to stick with it. This is your journey, and you need to find what works for you. Being this stressed over a few extra calories is not a good thing. All my opinions, of course. :flowerforyou:
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1900 and most days I get around 2000-2400. Im really active though. I been loosing weight consistently and i LOVE food. :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a really nice amount of calories for a treat day! I do that 1x a week :) I say way to go!

Don't have another for a week or longer, imho. And yes, eat higher than 1200 daily, again in mho :) You have to find what fits for you, but a day like that certainly doesn't have to be a big deal. 2000 is pretty good!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I ate over 2800, and I did that on purpose. I eat over 2000 calories every day and I'm losing weight. Even if you are significantly smaller than I am, one day of 2000 calories is NOT going to hurt anything. Go through what you ate today and figure out what you can do better for tomorrow, and then don't worry about it.

Same poster a few minutes later wrote:
    Hmmmm, I'm a teacher so I'm on my feet a lot. I'm also lifting 2-3 times a week as well as doing 2 5k's with wind sprints and a long run once a week. I'm eating around 2345 right now but I haven't lost anything in three weeks. Trying to decide if the weight loss is stalling because of the new routine or if my intake is too high. I can't imagine how that intake COULD be too high with my activity level, height and weight but...

I should probably just be pateint and give it another couple of weeks, easier said than done.

I am confused.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    That's about how much I'm going to eat during Walking Dead tonight. No one got fat in a day.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I ate over 2800, and I did that on purpose. I eat over 2000 calories every day and I'm losing weight. Even if you are significantly smaller than I am, one day of 2000 calories is NOT going to hurt anything. Go through what you ate today and figure out what you can do better for tomorrow, and then don't worry about it.

Same poster a few minutes later wrote:

I am confused.

I've lost over 17lbs so far. I've stalled for three weeks while adjusting my workout routine. Trying to decide if I should drop back closer to 2000 or stay at 2345 and give it more time. Doesn't change my having lost all my weight eating 2000 or more.
  • kita_254
    kita_254 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. I eat 2000-2500 calories daily. Despite being in maintenance I keep losing. The more I eat the more I lose.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I eat around 2193 everyday (with the exception of yesterday since I had either food poisoning or the norovirus) & usually lose a half a pound a week.