Soup for dinner

Options
MoiKarina
MoiKarina Posts: 139 Member
Hey guys,

The temperatures are dropping so the need for a hot soup for dinner started to trigger me. Any idea for a nice soup without potatoes? Ho and please not the cabbage one either. :happy:

Thanks

Replies

• maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com - her 'dad's creamy cauliflower soup'. Is really good. Also black bean soup and stuffed pepper soup are just as hearty.
  • priyac1987
    priyac1987 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Heinz Chicken and Chorizo Big Soup is nice and I dont think it has potatoes in it. Got a bit of a kick to it too so nice for this time of year!
  • MoiKarina
    Options
    Heinz Chicken and Chorizo Big Soup is nice and I dont think it has potatoes in it. Got a bit of a kick to it too so nice for this time of year!

Thanks but I try and stay away from processed food. I was more looking for a recipe. Still thanks for answering me.
  • MoiKarina
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com - her 'dad's creamy cauliflower soup'. Is really good. Also black bean soup and stuffed pepper soup are just as hearty.

I checked it out and it looks really nice. I also didn't know that site and added it to my favourite bar. :happy:
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    fry white onions and red bell pepper
    add half pack tomatoe juice
    and a bit light cream cheese if you like
    add beef meatballs

easy and yummy!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Vietnames Pho is a staple around our house.......

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vietnamese-beef-pho/

and the variations are endless (type of noodle, chicken, beef, pork, spiciness etc)
  • 1aurane
    1aurane Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Not had shop bought soup for year's ...homemade every time!! :smile:
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options

I checked it out and it looks really nice. I also didn't know that site and added it to my favourite bar. :happy:

I've tried quite a few of her recipes and they are quite tasty for low cal meals
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    My soup of the week this week is bacon and bean. Fry up some onion and bacon, add 2 cans of cannelini beans, throw in a can of crushed tomatoes and add vegetables of your choice. I used carrot, cabbage and potatoes but you can use whatever you like. Season to taste - I used paprika, black pepper and Aromat. This works out at about 300 calories per bowl for me, but you can adjust quantities to meet your own macros.
  • toddleo87
    toddleo87 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1 can mixed bean salad
    1 can green lentils
    2 cans chopped tomatoes
    ...1 can baked beans
    Handful of split lentils
    2 large leeks
    1 large onion
    4 medium carrots
    2 parsnips
    Green, red & yellow pepper
    2 beef or chicken or vegetable stock cubes
    Salt pepper
    Mixed herbs
    Water (enough to cover all ingredients)
    1.Chop and put all vegetables in pan
    2.Add all other ingredients
    3.Cover with water bring to boil and simmer until soft
    4.Can be left chunky or blended (I like chunky better)
    It also freezes - and it tastes great, and is FULL of fibre too
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    My soup recipes usually come about like this:

1. Open fridge and see what veg needs using.
    2. Chop onions and garlic and fry in cooking spray until browned.
    3. Chop whatever veg I found and add to the pan
    4. Add veggie broth, usually about 1-1.5 l
    5. Add beans, pulses, tofu or peanut butter for added protein
    6. cook for 30 min
    7. Process until creamy and add seasoning

Done! Tastes brilliant every time!
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Taco Soup! You can choose to add ground turkey or chicken or tofu, but use tomatoes, corn, black beans, onion, green chiles, and your favorite taco seasonings.

I also love homemade chicken soup. Boil a whole chicken with carrots, onions and celery - washed, but no need to peel the veggies, just cut the onion in half and toss it in, skin and all. Add salt, peppercorns and bay leaves. When stock is done, refrigerate so you can remove the fat. Debone the chicken. And return it to the skimmed stock. Chop fresh peeled carrots, celery and onion, add to pot of stock and bring to a boil, cooking until veggies are done. Add salt to taste.
  • MoiKarina
    Options
    1 can mixed bean salad
    1 can green lentils
    2 cans chopped tomatoes
    ...1 can baked beans
    Handful of split lentils
    2 large leeks
    1 large onion
    4 medium carrots
    2 parsnips
    Green, red & yellow pepper
    2 beef or chicken or vegetable stock cubes
    Salt pepper
    Mixed herbs
    Water (enough to cover all ingredients)
    1.Chop and put all vegetables in pan
    2.Add all other ingredients
    3.Cover with water bring to boil and simmer until soft
    4.Can be left chunky or blended (I like chunky better)
    It also freezes - and it tastes great, and is FULL of fibre too

I love it. Thank you so much. I'll sure try it. :flowerforyou:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Homemade chicken soup. just boil a whole chicken for about 2 hours, then add onions, carrots and celery...:bigsmile:
  • MoiKarina
    Options
    Taco Soup! You can choose to add ground turkey or chicken or tofu, but use tomatoes, corn, black beans, onion, green chiles, and your favorite taco seasonings.

I also love homemade chicken soup. Boil a whole chicken with carrots, onions and celery - washed, but no need to peel the veggies, just cut the onion in half and toss it in, skin and all. Add salt, peppercorns and bay leaves. When stock is done, refrigerate so you can remove the fat. Debone the chicken. And return it to the skimmed stock. Chop fresh peeled carrots, celery and onion, add to pot of stock and bring to a boil, cooking until veggies are done. Add salt to taste.

I think Taco Soup must be a US thing as I never heard of it before. Can you tell me more about it?
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    My beef/veggie soup takes
    a while,but this is my "recipe".
    I cut a roast into 4-6 pieces,put one in slo cooker,or in big pot on stove,Cover with water,simmer or high in SC.
    When meat is falling apart tender,let cool,remove all fat.I let broth cool & remove most of the solid fat.

Start reheating broth,adding the meat,canned diced tomatoes,lots of beef seasoning,pepper,thyme ,can add rosemary & a couple bay leaves.
    ADD a diced onion,2-3 celery stalks & shredded cabbage.I use 1/2 a head & shred fine,sliced carrots.Let simmer a couple hrs.

Add every kind of frozen,canned or fresh veggie.
    I choose from a couple diff kinds of drained canned beans,green beans,diced turnips,green beans etc.No broccoli or cauliflower,as I don't care for the texture when reheating.

Let simmer for an hr or 2,adjust seasonings.
    Made this Friday .DH & I had it for 2 meals & one lunch for myself. Then froze 8 zip locks with 2 measured cups in each.Even better re heated.
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I think Taco Soup must be a US thing as I never heard of it before. Can you tell me more about it?
    [/quote]

I typically brown one pound of ground turkey with one chopped onion. I then drain and rinse the turkey and onion mixture returning it to the pot. I add one large can of diced tomatoes, one can of green chiles, one can of corn, one can of rinsed black beans, and taco seasoning. Sometimes I use taco seasoning packets, but other times I just put in cumin, chili powder, paprika, and cayenne. Let it simmer for about an hour. We serve it with plain Greek yogurt and avocado chopped up, along with fresh cilantro.
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    --+Polish Pickle Soup (I'm 100% Polish so this is a huge thing in my heart- it's delicious, and so few calories)
    - Turkey chili with the fixings you like
    - Turkey/chicken noodle soup
    - French Onion Soup with Gruyere
    - Chicken Tortilla Soup
    -Beef and barley broth soup
    -PHO!!! one of my favorites

The reason I haven't posted recipes is because I am very impromptu with my soups. But I recommend looking on Foodgawker.com for ideas. Even though I am terrible at following recipes, I have always relied on soups to fill me up, make me happy, and give me a good meal :)
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Soup

1 container of vegetable stock
    1 can of pumpkin puree
    3 bay leaves
    1 onion
    Salt and Pepper
    Dash or two of cinnamon
    1/4 cup half and half

Cook the onion in the stock until soft. Add pumpkin and puree (I use a stick blender). Add the other ingredients except the half and half and simmer. Remove from heat and add the half and half.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Thai red lentil-
    1 spoonful thai red curry paste
    Red lentils
    Stock

Simply boil up until lentils are soft, then add a little coconut milk or creamed coconut. You can also boil it with squash or sweet potato in and its really good :)