Soup for dinner

Options

Replies

• MaggiMoonwytch
    MaggiMoonwytch Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    SPICY PUMPKIN SOUP.

Brown I large onion, as much garlic as you can stand, 2 green chillies, 1 heaped tsp ground cumin and 1 teaspoon chilli powder in 1tbs of olive oil.
    Fill your saucepan 3/4 full with diced pumpkin and 3 large carrots.
    Put in just enough water to cover the veg and add 2 stock cubes of whichever type you like. I use either chicken or veg.
    Loads of black pepper.
    Bring to the boil and simmer till all veg are well cooked.
    Blitz with a hand blender and either make the soup completely smooth or leave some chunks.

Delicious, warming, filling and very few calories. You may need to add more water as some of it will evaporate during cooking.

There are no weights and measures as I never use them and judge it all by the size of the pan I'm using.
  • jolancy
    jolancy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I make the Hairy Bikers Golden Vegetable Soup a lot (http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2335429), only 102 calories per portion and really tasty!
  • MoiKarina
    MoiKarina Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I make the Hairy Bikers Golden Vegetable Soup a lot (http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2335429), only 102 calories per portion and really tasty!

OMG this one is just perfect. Thank you so much
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    We're having soup tonight. Fired up the crock pot this morning.

Browned some pork belly with an onion. Threw it in the crock pot the following chopped up vegetables: Purple Caulifower, Brocolli, Leeks, Mushrooms, Red Bell Pepper and 2 chopped Jalapenos. Pepper, Crushed Red Peppers and Garlic.

Then I brought 8 cups of water and 2 cups of milk to a boil, added chedar cheese and poured the mixture over the veggies in the crock pot.

House should smell great when I get home in 10 hours.
  • MoiKarina
    Options

Browned some pork belly with an onion. Threw it in the crock pot the following chopped up vegetables: Purple Caulifower, Brocolli, Leeks, Mushrooms, Red Bell Pepper and 2 chopped Jalapenos. Pepper, Crushed Red Peppers and Garlic.

Then I brought 8 cups of water and 2 cups of milk to a boil, added chedar cheese and poured the mixture over the veggies in the crock pot.

Sounds nice but too fat for me. :bigsmile:
  • OurDilys
    OurDilys Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have not posted before on here. I do not know if we may put web addresses, but if you put Reversing Type 2 Diabetes diet in a search engine then look for the Newcastle University trail there are recipes if you click on the links. If I can post a link it is here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

All the soups do not have potato in them.

Warning this is a very low calorie diet aimed at trying to reverse diabetes. The idea being that when people have bypass surgery they often are free from diabetes the next day, so this trial was to see if it was the low calorie consumed that did this.

I hope this helps.

Below is an example

.French Onion Soup
    Ingredients
    1kg onions
    2 tbsp thyme
    1 litre beef or vegetable stock
    Makes 5 portions 74 calories per portion

Mushroom Soup
    Ingredients
    200g chopped onions
    1 crushed garlic clove
    Fresh thyme
    400g mushrooms
    850ml vegetable stock
    Makes 5 portions 42 calories per portion

Tomato Soup
    Ingredients
    3 x 400g chopped tomatoes
    850ml vegetable stock
    1 clove garlic
    Fresh basil leaves
    Makes 5 portions 53 calories per portion
  • MoiKarina
    Options
    Thai red lentil-
    1 spoonful thai red curry paste
    Red lentils
    Stock

Simply boil up until lentils are soft, then add a little coconut milk or creamed coconut. You can also boil it with squash or sweet potato in and its really good :)

This is a 3-star recipe.
  • MoiKarina
    Options
    Hi, I have not posted before on here. I do not know if we may put web addresses, but if you put Reversing Type 2 Diabetes diet in a search engine then look for the Newcastle University trail there are recipes if you click on the links. If I can post a link it is here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

All the soups do not have potato in them.

Warning this is a very low calorie diet aimed at trying to reverse diabetes. The idea being that when people have bypass surgery they often are free from diabetes the next day, so this trial was to see if it was the low calorie consumed that did this.

I hope this helps.

Below is an example

.French Onion Soup
    Ingredients
    1kg onions
    2 tbsp thyme
    1 litre beef or vegetable stock
    Makes 5 portions 74 calories per portion

Mushroom Soup
    Ingredients
    200g chopped onions
    1 crushed garlic clove
    Fresh thyme
    400g mushrooms
    850ml vegetable stock
    Makes 5 portions 42 calories per portion

Tomato Soup
    Ingredients
    3 x 400g chopped tomatoes
    850ml vegetable stock
    1 clove garlic
    Fresh basil leaves
    Makes 5 portions 53 calories per portion

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Soup is a filling dish low cal makes it even better.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Soups I've made or wanted to try
    Hot and sour soup
    Split pea and ham
    Tomato bisque
    Lobster bisque
    Chicken noodle w/ fresh noodles
    Thai chicken coconut soup
    Beef stew
    French onion
    Cream of potato my grandmas signature
    Lentil soup
    Posole
    Sopa con fideo
    Okra stew

Hmmmm seems I have a soup obsession
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I've been making lots of chorizo, chickpea and cabbage soup recently (It may have cabbage in, but it's not 'cabbage soup'...). I fry the chorizo a bit to release the oil, then fry a finely chopped leek and some garlic until soft. I then slice a cabbage (I've used green and white cabbages), add the chickpeas and water and leave to boil away. I don't use stock, but you could obviously. I also add smoked paprika and sometimes chilli powder or cayenne if I fancy a kick. The quantities of the ingredients depend on how much you want to make.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My soup recipes usually come about like this:

1. Open fridge and see what veg needs using.
    2. Chop onions and garlic and fry in cooking spray until browned.
    3. Chop whatever veg I found and add to the pan
    4. Add veggie broth, usually about 1-1.5 l
    5. Add beans, pulses, tofu or peanut butter for added protein
    6. cook for 30 min
    7. Process until creamy and add seasoning

Done! Tastes brilliant every time!

This

Tonight it was
    300g capsicum
    200g broccoli
    100g cabbage
    300g sweet potato (wait for total cals, a little potato doesn't hurt)
    250g carrots
    veg stock to season
    2 tsp marmite ( not enough, will add 4 next time)
    180g broth mix

This fed 3 of us, and I have 4 serves left. Total calories per serve 187, I added tofu to mine, another 189.

I don't eat meat so I don't need to fry anything, no oil. Chuck it all in a pan, just covered in water, bring to boil, simmer till just soft, blend with my old trusty stick blender, season, add broth mix (pre prepared) Done :-)
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I tend to make it up as I go. With whatever I have brought/have in the fridge.

Chicken (around 500g)
    1 large onion
    some garlic (good for the immune system)
    Some mushrooms if I have some
    Couple of carrots
    Zuchinni
    Big handful of lentils
    Stock powder and water or liquid stock (this week I added a can of chopped tinned tomatoes as well)

Bliss! Sometimes I have with toast, other times I have with rice an veggies!
  • kroonha
    kroonha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I made this over the weekend:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7003/carrot-and-coriander-soup

Replaced the potato with an apple and tasted great :) If you're not into coriander, just season with what you do enjoy; a bit of cumin or similar always tastes good.
    This is already a good starting base for carrot soup to tweak to whatever else you enjoy :)
    I also grated a bit of fresh ginger root in there.

Hope this helps! :)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options

Update -- Turned out awful. I think I scorched the milk. Wasn't ineddible, but I dumped the balance after dinner.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I've been making Vegetable Beef soup in the crock pot on Wednesdays, since I don't get home til 9pm and my son has basketball after school.

1 pkg stew meat (usually 2lbs)
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1-2 cans beef broth, I do 1 can broth and 1 can water
    1 package frozen mixed veggies (I sometimes do fresh peas, carrots, green beans but this is easier for me when in a hurry)
    2-3 potatoes (you can leave those out)
    1 onion, diced
    Worcestershire, herbs salt, pepper to taste
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My soup of the week this week is bacon and bean. Fry up some onion and bacon, add 2 cans of cannelini beans, throw in a can of crushed tomatoes and add vegetables of your choice. I used carrot, cabbage and potatoes but you can use whatever you like. Season to taste - I used paprika, black pepper and Aromat. This works out at about 300 calories per bowl for me, but you can adjust quantities to meet your own macros.

this sounds really good :D
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Chicken Tortellini Soup

I don't know the proportions but I doubt it would be hard to figure out. It's my favorite thing that my mother makes.

chicken broth, salt and pepper, carrots, onions, chicken, cheese tortellini, little meatballs, spinach, some grated parmesan
  • ranchmimi
    ranchmimi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Type in healthy soups in your search engine and you should get more than enough to keep you satisfied this winter! Some of the winter squash soups are wonderful!
  • OurDilys
    OurDilys Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am really happy I was able to help you. I have been fortunate and I too have been helped.

There is also a book called "Soup Can Make You Thin" by Fiona Kirk and Jean Barr. But the reviews on the internet did not look great, the auther is lovely though as it first came out in an eBook and I cannot read it on mine, now there is a paperback book.