anyone else feel like giving up? :((

there are some days that i feel great and others (like today) i feel like giving up. what do you do to help get out of the funk?

Replies

• Jennymcwb
    Jennymcwb Posts: 88 Member
    Reflect on the good, acknowledge the bad and move on.....
    Have you ever played gold? Dieting is the same thing for me, there's always the next the next hole/day and there are good strokes/parts of each hole/day that you can say worked well. Kind of simplistic, but works for me.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Sorry you feel that way. I try to stand aside from my feelings. If I feel bored or sad I don't have to go with those feelings -- I can just let them pass by and not get swallowed up with them. I can't wait until I feel inspired to take action.

It always helps me to go for a walk outside. I walk in a nearby nature area a lot. Right now it's winter and very cold out there because of the wind coming over the fields, so I walk in town -- to a store, the library, anywhere. Exercise, especially outside, always lifts my mood. Walking is good because once I walk somewhere I'm stuck and am forced to walk back -- I can't just get off like on a treadmill.

Do you exercise? A zumba class might be fun, anything to get moving. If you sign up for a class that would be a great way to keep going.
  • I read through the Success Stories, it helps me realize I'm not alone. If all those people can do it I can too.
  • rle2512
    rle2512 Posts: 44 Member
    Seeing results helps me get through those feelings, I hate working hard and not seeing results on the scale. I'm not sure what your goals are, but just today i took a look and a before picture of myself 20 lbs, 2 months ago and i was SHOCKED, so looking back on progress ive made helps. Set short term goals for yourself, I started my journey at 196 pounds, my 1st goal was 175, Im down to 158, with a short term of 150, but eventually want 140.

Not to sell you my diet, there are sceptics who will put it down, but I started a very low carb diet a month ago tomorrow, it took me about a week to get used to but its working, your body switches from burning calories from carbs you are eating to fat you are eating. For me, it put me in control, you have less hunger and see more results, i feel like a machine. Ive been about 5 days on intermittent fasting, there are also a few ways to do that, right now I am eating one meal a day, high protein healthy fat low carb, and I'm not hungry during the day, and have plenty of energy for my work out.

Sorry for the babble, but if you think it could work for you I'd give it a try because ive been struggling with weight my whole life and finally feel in control.

Final word of advise, make healthy choices, but if you are feeling down, there is always tomorrow. I did zero work outs this weekend, and started my work out today with a bang and im feeling much better. Good luck stay positive! =]
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    I been feeling like giving up for a while now, but here I am still trying to break a stall that has lasted months ! I wake up and something in my head keeps telling me to eat healthy and to stick to it ! I just keep making sure that I have healthy options in the house so even if I wanted to give up , I go see what to be bad with and end up with a carrot in my mouth ! lol

- I tried eating less than 1200 calories for a week and scale still did not budge
    - tried slow carb - thought it worked after 1 week but after 3 weeks still playing with the same few pounds up and down like a roller coaster
    - tried more exercise , still nothing
    - tried drinking more than the 8 glasses of water - nothing
    - tried yelling at my doctor for putting me on high blood pressure meds that are keeping me from losing weight and he swears they do not ! LOL
    - This week doing Jillians 30 min body shred and see if it will help !!
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    I do! I find this time of the year the hardest. I'm always so much more fatigued and the temperature change makes me crave comfort food. That being said, I have to make sure I'm like super watchful to make sure I don't slip back into bad habits. Just make a list of why you started and refer to it often. track your calories and get your workouts in. Good luck and happy holidays!!
  • shawn1112
    shawn1112 Posts: 94 Member
    On days I felt like that, I would go for a long walk and mix in some running. Always felt better after that.
  • jigglyone
    jigglyone Posts: 410 Member
    I do! I find this time of the year the hardest. I'm always so much more fatigued and the temperature change makes me crave comfort food. That being said, I have to make sure I'm like super watchful to make sure I don't slip back into bad habits. Just make a list of why you started and refer to it often. track your calories and get your workouts in. Good luck and happy holidays!!

that is EXACTLY how i am! Thanks hun and god bless! happy holidays as well!
  • jigglyone
    thank you everyone its good to know i am not alone in this:ohwell:
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 133 Member
    I do at the end of a day where i do awful (like today)but i know tomorrow is another day.
  • jigglyone
    thx everyone
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    I read through the Success Stories, it helps me realize I'm not alone. If all those people can do it I can too.
    ^^This^^
    Lots of inspiration from the Success Stories.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    All the d@mn time. But just gotta keep going and eventually I'll be where I want to be. Quit now and it's just a big trip backwards....
  • jigglyone
    All the d@mn time. But just gotta keep going and eventually I'll be where I want to be. Quit now and it's just a big trip backwards....

very true :)
  • Swimming is great for exercise, and it's so fun, you don't even realize your exercising! It puts you in such a better and happier mood to where you just can't give up. I lost 700 calories in ONE DAY just by swimming freely.
  • jigglyone
    Swimming is great for exercise, and it's so fun, you don't even realize your exercising! It puts you in such a better and happier mood to where you just can't give up. I lost 700 calories in ONE DAY just by swimming freely.

thats sooo good! but i cant swim:sad:
  • summerroxygoodin
    summerroxygoodin Posts: 62 Member
    I got it into my head that this weight isn't going to go away in one day. I was hoping that it would but didn't happen. I'm down 10 pounds now and that is encouraging. Maybe next month I can get down to the 180s. All we can do is take one day at a time.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I have spent the last 4 years and 300+ lbs. of weight loss establishing that I am fortifying a lifestyle and I plan on living a very long time. When you come from being home bound and unable to walk to having the world and my future at my fingertips and how it is again truly unwritten. My motivation lies within that and I see no need for ever giving up, I have had the taste of success and I am hungry for more... This is the best way I described it..... You have to find that drive within yourself and just live....... Best of Luck
  • kczarnec
    kczarnec Posts: 28 Member
    Of course! =] On those days I try to ask myself what it is I really need and try to substitute a food answer for whatever it is (time off, bath, shopping, exercise, etc.). Or if it is something food related that I've been depriving myself of. . .. maybe I need a desert or a nice restaurant or a glass of wine. . . without going over board.
  • jigglyone
    thanks everyone. your words truly mean a lot to me