anyone else feel like giving up? :((

2»

Replies

• prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    I have spent the last 4 years and 300+ lbs. of weight loss establishing that I am fortifying a lifestyle and I plan on living a very long time. When you come from being home bound and unable to walk to having the world and my future at my fingertips and how it is again truly unwritten. My motivation lies within that and I see no need for ever giving up, I have had the taste of success and I am hungry for more... This is the best way I described it..... You have to find that drive within yourself and just live....... Best of Luck

Exactly this! Taste if success!!
  • karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Put on some good music and go for a walk. Always improves my mood and motivation. Or look at photos of what fat looks like. That usually scares me back into eating right!
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    I would call someone a liar if they said they never had that kind of day with anything, not just weight loss. Don't give up is the key. Focus on all the good you have done! When I really get like that sometimes I push my butt to the gym, that whole after workout thrill sometimes eases it. I'm a huge reader, so my other go to is a book. I get so wrapped up in books that WWIII could happen and I would totally miss it LOL! Just don't be too hard on yourself, we all have these moments. It's how you go forward that counts. Best of luck!!
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    there are some days that i feel great and others (like today) i feel like giving up. what do you do to help get out of the funk?

Stick to the routine you have setup/outlined for yourself.
  • EllenKay63
    EllenKay63 Posts: 516 Member
    Some times I take a vacation from it. Some times I sit and think- what do I really want? Then I ask myself -Am I being lazy. What I do next depends on the answer.
  • Foxtrot2N
    Foxtrot2N Posts: 184 Member
    Yup, especially on days like yesterday. I must be going into hibernation mode but no matter what I ate yesterday it wasn't enough. Add to that the fact that with the holidays here and multiple jobs, my workout routine is pitiful if not completely non-existent. It becomes a downward spiral that gets me mad at myself and food becomes the easy way out. But, it didn't take one day to get as fat as I was and it won't come off in one day either. And one bad day is not going to ruin me. If we all had nothing but good days none of us would be here to lose the weight would we? ;) As mentioned above, music and a good walk are great therapy and help me immensely. I will use my lunch break if needed to get 20-30 minutes out walking with no people or issues to deal with. A little head-clearing usually ensues and I come back refreshed, mind and body, ready to start anew. Fight the urge and just get a few minutes of motion in. It just kind of hits a mental reset button and it's off to the races again. Keep going, and good luck!
  • Hitsujikai
    Hitsujikai Posts: 111 Member
    Every single morning I wake up and think about giving up and eating as much of what I want as I can, the only difference between my now and me 2 months ago is that I get myself up, out the door and I persevere because I'm seeing results.

Each day is different so I'm learning to take them as they come and everyday that I do not give in I mark down as a win :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Sure! There are days when I'd love to eat all the foods because it's EASIER. Hell, that's why I was obese for nearly my entire adult life up to a couple years ago. Being active and eating right isn't easy, if it was there wouldn't be an obesity epidemic!

I think the key is to establish some really strong short term and long term goals. Really think about WHY you want to lose the weight and get healthy. Family history of disease? Pre-diabetic? Half-marathon or tri-athalon on your bucket list? Or maybe you want to lose the "baby weight" or get down to the dress size you wore at your wedding. The however to setting goals is to make them realistic. Don't go by what you see on tv shows like Biggest Loser or Extreme Weight Loss.

Make sure your weekly weight loss goal is appropriate for the amount of weight you have to lose. As your profile is private so I can't do the math for you, here're is a good guideline to use:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Also know that weight loss isn't linear. Very few people lose exactly 1 pound per week even if they're right on target with their calories. Water weight is a huge factor for scale losses - high sodium, not enough water, exercise routine changes, hormone cycle, etc can all have an impact. So in addition to tracking progress on the scale, take body measurements, take progress pictures, pay attention to how clothes are fitting (and keep a "before" item or two of clothing). Take joy in every success whether it's lost pounds, inches, belt notches or the need for a new pair of pants!

You got this! Just be patient, put in the time and effort and it will happen. :)
  • There are days when I'm so sick of exercising. Then I turn on some music and it eventually causes me to get up and move. I can't resist it.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Honest answer - No I don't. On days I eat more than I should, on days the scales go the wrong direction, it just motivates me to work harder.

I like to suggestion above on goals. I signed up for a marathon in July when I weighed 200 + pounds. By the day of the marathon, which was October 20th, I weighed 155 pounds. To keep motivated over the winter - I signed up for 2 marathons in March of 2014.

It comes down to determination & motivation. I decided that being fit, that being healthy, and the ability to run a marathon is what is MOST important to me. This morning I weighed 143.4 pounds. That is less than I weighed when I was 17-18 years old. 30 years later, I am the healthiest and in the best shape of my life. It was difficult, but it was worth it.

So my recommendation to anyone that feels like giving up - assess your motivation, and don't let anything stand in the way of achieving your goals.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Don't!.

Are you on a really low cal restrictive diet? You should give THAT up. Your body is fighting against that lifestyle for a reason. Pick up some weights, do some sprints, and eat enough to fuel your activity and burn fat. "Eat until you're satisfied, not until you're full." Enough.

Good luck.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    I look in the mirror, i get motivated real fast