What is one thing you are thankful for that you

sadrac4683
sadrac4683 Posts: 80 Member
What is one thing you are thankful for that you never thought you would be thankful for?

Yesterday on my way I was listening to Air1 radio. The question was posed "What is one thing you are thankful for that you never thought you would be thankful for?" I have never really thought about that but it did made me think of a few things. When I first met my wife I never thought we would be visiting the hospital as much as we did within the first two years of our marriage. It was very difficult for me because I had never had a reason to go to the doctor much less the hospital. I remember being very frustrated and angry but it is because I did not understand what she was going thru. Thank God that he helped me to understand my wife. I believe that thru those experiences I have learned to be more compassionate and understanding. I remember at first it was not really a big deal to park in the handicap spot for me because I would say to myself, I am only going to be here for 5 minutes. Now I understand that for someone who struggles with walking, those 5 minutes for me could mean them not finding a parking space. Like I said before, it was very difficult for us the first two years of our marriage but I thank God because I believe it has made me a better husband and a better man.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I am thankful for a tornado that destroyed my house, my 9 year marriage, and in a way, my career.

I could tell a story that would go on and on. But basically, I was living a life that was not happy or fulfilling. By 2011 at age 34, I put all of my time & energy into my home and decorating, letting all of my other interests and hobbies fall away. I had an excellent job that was financially rewarding but so stressful that I had constant migraines and nightmares. I was married to a guy who was like a good friend, but we had no passion or true intimacy (physical or emotional). My life was a pretty lame existence.

After the tornado hit and destroyed the house, my priorities changed. My ex husband and I chose to move to a different city and "start over" which meant career turmoil for me, but ultimately allowed me to see that I couldn't have been happy continuing on my former path. We realized our marriage was pretty empty and split. I went through some major depression which led me to seek counseling and uncover the mysteries of my lifelong anxiety disorder. I became the person I need to be. I met the love of my life and fell madly, deeply in love with him. Everything is totally different for me now and it's not always as easy as my former life but I would not change it back for anything! I am grateful for that tornado that turned everything upside down, literally & figuratively.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I am thankful that my ex-fiancé cheated on me, which led me to break up with him. We are on good terms now, but he has messed up his life, his current girlfriend's life and pretty much anyone who has gotten close to him. He probably would have ruined mine.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I am thankful that my ex-fiancé cheated on me, which led me to break up with him. We are on good terms now, but he has messed up his life, his current girlfriend's life and pretty much anyone who has gotten close to him. He probably would have ruined mine.

Same thing here! Well, mine didn't cheat that I am aware of...but I was very committed to a guy in my 20's who was emotionally abusive, and verbally abusive at times. I am glad I eventually broke that off. He now has three children and they have emotional problems thanks to their father. I happened to work at a law firm briefly and the huge thick files of his on again, off again girlfriend (mother of the kids) crossed my desk. I only took a peek, but wow...I feel like I really dodged a bullet with that guy :-(
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 662 Member
    That they were able to do the surgery on my arm that saved my arm :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    I am grateful for losing everything back in 2009 ( left with a suitcase). Long story.. but thankful every day for new start in new place with new people and fresh ideas. It's like being born again.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    My wife, Jan.

Everything that is good in my life for the last 25 years has come from her. She gave me her unconditional love and accepted me as the person I was. She made me want to change into the person I am. She gave me three daughters that I could not imagine my life without.

I love the family gatherings that come with the Holidays and special occasions. I am usually somewhere in the background, doing the cooking and such or in the back yard BBQing and BSing with the other guys, but nothing makes me happier than when I come into the room and see all my girls sitting together talking. They always look up as I enter the room. I get a smile or a look. Makes my day.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    That they were able to do the surgery on my arm that saved my arm :smile: :smile: :smile:

So why did you think you wouldn't be thankful for that?
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,412 Member
    There are many blessings in my life. I am thankful every morning when I wake up, especially when I watch the sun rise.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    I am thankful that I drank so much and so hard that I reached bottom and got sober. My life has turned 180 degrees from then, and while I'm not saying it's all puppy tails and unicorns now, it's transformed for the better. And I remember all of it now.

But before I got sober, I thought that life without drinking would be misery.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    I, in a way am thankful I had cancer - and am a survivor. You learn so much about life & relationships when you fear it will be taken away.
  • sadrac4683
    I am thankful that I drank so much and so hard that I reached bottom and got sober. My life has turned 180 degrees from then, and while I'm not saying it's all puppy tails and unicorns now, it's transformed for the better. And I remember all of it now.

But before I got sober, I thought that life without drinking would be misery.

Wow, thanks for sharing
  • sadrac4683
    I, in a way am thankful I had cancer - and am a survivor. You learn so much about life & relationships when you fear it will be taken away.

I couldnt agree more with you. You learn so much from most difficult situations in your life.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    I'm thankful for my kids....yes they drive me nuts sometimes but they are my pride and joy :heart:
  • I'm thankful for my ex-husband and our divorce. At the time it was devastating even though it was for good reason (he was verbally and physically abusive), I was completely distraught. But our divorce and custody battle not only made me really believe in myself and helped me grow into the strong and confident person I am today -- but it also led me down the path to meet my husband who is definitely my kindred spirit.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member

:flowerforyou:
  • I'm thankful for our 3rd baby. I was so awe struck to find out in June I was pregnant again, it took me awhile to accept the fact that I was bring #3 into the world. I was dead set on only having 2 kids and I didn't think I was being a great mother to the 2 I already have.

But since then, the closer to his arrival (February) the more excited I get, because I realize this is it. We are done after this baby. And when I don't feel like I'm being a great mom, I remind myself, no one is perfect at parenting and as long as my kids tell me they love me, life is good. :)
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    I am thankful that my father had so many children. He was not always a very good person. He has passed on now and I've finally let some of my negative feelings towards him go. In the course of his life he fathered 9 children. Although I was raised with just my younger brother, I have now contacted each of my 8 siblings and have some sort of a relationship with each of them.
    They are all remarkable people and it is interesting to me that in some ways we are so alike even though we didn't meet until we were adults.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    I am thankful for the financial diaster of '08 and '09. The job I had was slowly changing me for the worse although I would have denied it. With the economic down-turn the plant manager got even more aggressive and demanding.

I finally realized I was giving my best and it was not going to be enough. I left and went from making in the mid-90's to 25K as a security guard. We had to make a lot of adjustments but it entirely changed my outlook and improved every aspect of my life.

Two years after I left that job, I was hired for the position I am in now. It pays less than I originally made but my quality of life is ten-fold what it was. The company I am in now is extremely morale oriented. They realize the value of content employees and our benefits border on outrageous.

BTW op; thanks for the subject thread, interesting and thought provoking!
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    I'm thankful for so many things, but right now, at this very minute, I am thankful for my inner confidence and being able to let it shine. I have been hiding behind my fat for so long, ashamed and always wondering what people were thinking about me. It's nice to be free and finally feel comfortable in my skin. I'm not "there" all the way yet, but i'm on my way. Oh yeah, and for this coffee right now...it is so good!
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    I am thankful that I was let go from my job 2 1/2 years ago. I waited for about 3 years to be let go, could have taken a job earlier on when I was notified and turned it down (My MIL had just passed after a 5 year struggle with cancer, my dad had Parkinson's, etc). Well I finally lost my job in October of 2010. My dad's prostate cancer took a turn for a worse, which then had major impact on his parkinson's. I was available to shuttle back and forth to Doctors and hospital (mom doesn't drive) and then he passed in January. I focused again on the job hunt and started at my current job in April 2011, one week before my severance ran out.

I worked as a consultant 2 1/2 years and now I am an employee. My job can be stressful, difficult and full of craziness (like the meeting I am listening to now), but I love it. My job constantly changes, I use my creativity, I work with someone who is teaching me so much. And everything on life timing has worked out perfect. My daughter is now in college and I get to travel a bit for business, its just right :)

FYI, during this time my husband wams miserable, a year ago his job of 19 years let him go because he was set up by someone to take the fall and the boss wanted him out. It should have been a bad thing, but it was the best thing for him. His stress level went down, he is generally happier and generally has more energy. Although there are downsides to this job too, it is so nice to have a relaxed husband back again.

Just like others, bad things can be just what you need to make life work :)