What keeps you going?

Options

Replies

• MizSookeh
    MizSookeh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've set myself goals and told a small group of friends about what I'm trying to achieve.

Things are progressing slowly at the moment (HUGE month of events this month), I'm still trying to hit my first 5kgs lost mark, after 65 days on MFP.

Any other time, I'm fairly certain I would've given up by now due to the slow, small results. However because I've told people, I don't want to be the person who failed, or the person who gave up after a big night. I just get right back into it.
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    Motivated?

I need motivation to do my school work,

but motivation to workout?! motivation to eat healthier?!

NEITHER

because I love doing both. I don't need motivation to do what I love to do, and so shouldn't you!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Can't speak for anyone else but I don't need motivation anymore - to eat or train - as it's become my way of life. I have a very good eating/gym routine.

The way your viewing it seems like it works for you and that's great! I just know if I keep doing what I'm doing ill be at GW eventually (I'm not obsessing over dates anymore) then I can up my calories a little for maintenance.

I intend to eat sensibly (For the most part :) ) and train for as long as my body is able.

Good luck!
  • Vaermina
    Options
    Knowing that there is someone that wants to see me fail is what keeps me going. I am not going to give that person the satisfaction of seeing me fail.
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Refusal to let myself fall back into old bad habits and regain the weight. I have worked too hard and come too far to give up now!

All I have to do is look at old pictures or think about how unfit and unhealthy I was and that is motivation enough to keep at it.

This!
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Myself. I have marital issues that were caused by drinking (that I accounted for in MFP's macros and then ate less to fit it in). Once the doctor told me my liver was heading for shot and my wife took a month hiatus from me, I focused on heavy lifting and some cardio. Now over 20 pounds under from when I started, I decided that the best thing overall was that I did it for myself. It's longer termed than had I said I did it to get my wife or for a new girlfriend. Myself hopefully includes my wife and, most importantly, my child. I don't want to be rolled up to her wedding in a hospital bed because I was selfish. So, yeah, myself...one of the most important people in my life which leads to importance in other lives.

With that all said, I do what I do for life. More life even. Drinking is fun and awesome, but I can now moderate myself and use lifting/cardio as stress killers where I was using alcohol. Will I win my wife back completely? Don't know, but I know I'm a better overall, more fit, and determined person than I was prior to taking my health seriously. I'm only 30 and admitting to all of this. It was/is tough everyday, but you have to do it for yourself. I learned this in counseling for alcohol. You are your most important person. After that, everyone benefits. Sigh, wow, feels good to get that off my back. Thanks for opening this topic.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm lucky I get out of bed everyday, I don't know...
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Just keep doing that. Rinse and repeat. If things become so redundant, find something new to keep that heart rate going. I've found looking at life more preciously has helped me push harder. Leaving your bed is the hardest part of the day. You got up and out. Some people don't.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Right now, the need to prove wrong those who mock my shape or who are repulsed by it is keeping me going.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options

Just keep doing that. Rinse and repeat. If things become so redundant, find something new to keep that heart rate going. I've found looking at life more preciously has helped me push harder. Leaving your bed is the hardest part of the day. You got up and out. Some people don't.
    This and I don't ever want to go back to my self-conscious, negative self ever. Its only up from here.
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Honestly.... I hung this cute little dress I love where I can see it. It's haunting me when I wake up and go to sleep! Time does go quickly, I've been back a month so I'm really pushing myself to meet goals I set. I am annoyed and angry I am not where I Should be on my workout program. I said I was going to start 1 Nov and then changed it worried I was going to shock myself too much and get sick or would be going too hard too fast so I held off. I lost almost 15lbs just changing my portion sizes and minding my carbs (calories over usually isn't my problem) and just said "that's it you're starting".

Had I just done it 28days ago I'd be coming up on my first 1/3 check in and taking new pictures. Instead I'm on day 3 and pushing to hit day 10. I'm sore but I haven't felt this great in a long time! That's keeping me going. I know I'll feel even better when I can fit my dress and have it look good
  • billymacintosh
    billymacintosh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    for me I think it's having the bigger picture ie end goal in my mind but at the same time congratulating myself on the small goals/losses I achieve along the as well as remembering how less healthy I felt at my biggest weight. 5Ibs will become the next 5Ibs and so on. Any loss is a loss and should be viewed as an achievement and if you're feeling weak or needing extra support there will always some available on MFP. Keep going, you're doing great :)
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I keep clothing a size or two under what I currently can wear. It is so exciting to keep trying them on from time to time and finally fit in to them! I've dropped from a size 26 jean to a 16 and it feels great. I've currently got a pair of size 14 and a pair of size 12 jeans waiting for me.

I also agree with those who say their increased physical abilities motivate them. I've gone from barely being able to walk a mile, to being able to walk a half marathon, and am now prepping to runa 5K. When I have a "down" day I remind myself of these things and it gives me the power to keep on working.
  • lmckillo
    lmckillo Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just take it one pound at a time.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    The weight dropping off keeps me going, how I look and feel keeps me going. It's easy to keep going when you see results. I had a 10 week stall over the last part summer and it was harder to keep going. Logging in here daily, talking to MFP buddies, helped keep me going when I needed the motivation.
  • moya_rargh
    Options
    Knowing that there is someone that wants to see me fail is what keeps me going. I am not going to give that person the satisfaction of seeing me fail.

I agree with this. Lots!
  • _tam_
    _tam_ Posts: 257
    Options
    Oxygen...
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    What keeps me going is the knowledge that quitting never works. EVER.
  • kariplz
    kariplz Posts: 41 Member
    Options

This. You are completely right. When you quit, sometimes you just start over if you're fortunate enough to not have fallen even more behind. Thank you for reminding of this.
  • moya_rargh
    Options

Very much this! I'm now motivated by the fact that I'm deemed a repulsive dweeb by women, so I'm going to get in shape to prove them wrong and certainly not to seek their approval!