Abs once a week- why?

Options
13»

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    Options
    If you enjoy doing ab workouts, then keep doing them.

Pretty much.

Personally don't remember the last time I've done ab work.

Squats/DL work them enough for me :wink:
    My reasoning is because the core is usually hit by full body workouts, deadlift, squat, etc.., so that isolated core work isn't required IMHO.

Really? You feel like your abs get worked enough in the Squat and DL? How exactly?

Even at max weight with proper form, they are only used to stabalize... ab work is necessary if you want to sufficiently strengthen the abdominals, though not with 3+ exercises and 100+ rep sets like many people think.

For me, I do about 3-4 sets of 12-18 rep cable crunches twice a week.

Also, to answer OP's question, it's a muscle like anything else. People apply a "high rep" approach to them, but the truth is they get stronger with greater resistance, just like all the other muscles. Make sure to give them rest as well, and you'll be fine. One day on, one day off, etc... should be fine.

Technically, the abdominals are there to stabilize in most situations. Floor work is not a natural state for humans. However, I do like feeling a pump in the abdominals (even at 460lb I can feel my abs under the layers of fat after working them directly). I think 3x8-15 of two different exercises is plenty for an ab workout. I've been doing one abs and one oblique. An example would be Cable Crunches and Landmine 180's.

So when you're laying down on say the floor or the bed and you go to get up the movement that you're doing isn't natural? It's pretty much the movement of a crunch.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    hehehe. you're gonna replace some of your direct ab work with some isolation bicep curl work. that's cute. you must be new here

I AM new here, in fact, and trying to learn! I totally deserve any snark and sarcasm that comes my way, I'm a complete noob. But I'm working with what I know, what I've done, and the weights I own. If you have a better suggestion, or a reason why I'm in the wrong, I would love to hear it. (I know that this is the internet, so you can't tell my tone- I mean this in the least sarcastic, defensive way possible... I WANT to do things correctly. If someone can steer me in a better direction, I am 100% open to suggestions).

Don't mind him. He's pretty much stuck on sarcastic. :ohwell:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Pretty much?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    My take on it from a climbing, fighting and strength training perspective:

Whilst having a weak core is not handy because it can lead to back and posture problems, doing planks and crunches every day seems a bit pointless when you're challenging the core with other work (squats and deads but also bent over rows and shoulder presses).

However, one useful reason for training the core is when you are hanging under a roof and cut loose - your feet fall away from the holds either on purpose or by mistake leaving you hanging by your hands. The only way you're going to get your feet back into the holds is by one of two options:
    1) pray that by momentarily impersonating Jesus during the crucifixion he will send forth angels to carry your feet back to the roof - quite tricky simply because you cannot put your hands together to pray as you're hanging from a roof. ;)
    2) pulling your feet up to the roof.

The only way (2) is gonna happen is by training your core - not by planks and crunches (which are fine for beginners with weak cores) but toe-to-bar leg raises.

From a fighting perspective, having a strong core means you can take blows to the gut. Mind you, if you're morbidly obese, you can also take blows to the gut.

FWIW:
    1) I train abs once a month if that, only if I just fancy doing it.
    2) No, you can't punch me.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

However, one useful reason for training the core is when you are hanging under a roof and cut loose - your feet fall away from the holds either on purpose or by mistake leaving you hanging by your hands. The only way you're going to get your feet back into the holds is by one of two options:
    1) pray that by momentarily impersonating Jesus during the crucifixion he will send forth angels to carry your feet back to the roof - quite tricky simply because you cannot put your hands together to pray as you're hanging from a roof. ;)
    2) pulling your feet up to the roof.

:laugh: Funny and true!! To the OP; I lift 2-3 times a week full body and that includes ab work. I do this because a) I enjoy it and b) it supports and strengthens the movements I use in the sports I do for fun. IMHO- if you enjoy it do it.