Is takeaway food ok to have sometimes?

Options
Hi. Is it alright to have a takeaway every now and then? i don't usually eat them but this week i have had two from the fish and chip shop. I couldn't really say no either because i was out late the first time and hadn't eaten any dinner...it was too late to cook...so i had one. Now i feel like I've let my self down :( Although...i didn't go over my fat, calorie, or sodium goals. Would it be ok as long as i don't go over any of my fat, calories etc...?

...Bare in mind this is a one off and i don't usually eat takeaway food :)

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Once in a while is fine. Don't feel guilty. Learn form this and plan better - can you keep something in teh freezer for such an emergency?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Hell, of course it is. Just watch your daily total calories.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I hope so otherwise I am screwed...

In all seriousness, that is fine. I think if they start crowding out other parts of your diet and you do not meet your nutritional needs as a result or they regularly cause you to exceed your total calories you need to be careful.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Not an issue. Harder if it's a small mom and pop place because they likely won't have nutrition information posted (at least in the U.S.), so you'll have to guess or go buy a well known chain. You can take it home and weigh it, but you still won't know how it's made.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh yes. Not everyday obviously but you are allowed to treat yourself once in a while.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yes........there are no "bad" foods.

The only foods that you should not eat involve allergies, other than that anything is fair game (in moderation)
  • whitlisd
    Options
    I would say of course it is...Except for the past 2 weeks I've been battling my addiction to the intense flavor of the bad take out foods that got me fat in the first place. I'm fine as long as I stay away, but holy smokes, once I get started the cravings are back in full force which pushes my progress back and makes it that much harder to get back on tract the next day. For the average person though, go for it I say! Just try to keep it within your macros.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Hi. Is it alright to have a takeaway every now and then? i don't usually eat them but this week i have had two from the fish and chip shop. I couldn't really say no either because i was out late the first time and hadn't eaten any dinner...it was too late to cook...so i had one. Now i feel like I've let my self down :( Although...i didn't go over my fat, calorie, or sodium goals. Would it be ok as long as i don't go over any of my fat, calories etc...?

Oh honey, judging from your profile pic, your head doesn't match your body. You have bigger problems than some take out food. :wink:
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! i feel sooo much better now, thanks:) you're all awesome, i wish you all the best of luck with your goals :D
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options

Oh honey, judging from your profile pic, your head doesn't match your body. You have bigger problems than some take out food. :wink:

Lol it's not me in the picture haha. It's just a random guy on the tv who i think is funny so i put him on some jacked guys body :laugh:
  • ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I eat out very often. 1-2 times a week I get take out for Vietnamese, I order pizza every 2 weeks, I have subway every week or two... It's never effected my weight loss. I fit it into my calorie goal for the most part. I think if you can control yourself it's not a problem at all. I wouldn't have got as far as I have without treating myself. : )
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it as long as you are hitting your caloric intake and macros, then enjoy.........
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I think the answer depends entirely on YOU. If you can maintain control, stay within or close to your calorie goals, avoid high fat empty calorie foods, and meet your macros- then eat what ever you want. Its the deficit that really matters. Yes, the content of the food and its nutrition matters but its also contingent on your goals. If you want to lose weight then its less important, if you want to tone and put on muscle then you have to watch those macros a little more closely.

I do takeaway in moderation. Most of the times though, when I need to pick something up, I go for a rotisserie chicken and a hearty veggie salad. Before I was forced to go gluten free that meal might have included some crusty french bread. I try to stay away from the deep fried, I dont feel good after I eat it. Once in a while its pizza, or a hot pressed sandwich, or Indian food. It is possible to make good choices and still enjoy yourself!
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I LOVE fish and chips! I have them from time to time.

Takeaways aren't evil! But they are a treat not a staple.

And they're only a problem if you don't watch the calories - I save them for days when I've burned lots of calories or eaten very little else so that I know they're within my calorie allowance. And I'll share with my husband instead of having a whole meal to myself these days.

You have to live your life - enjoy a takeaway now and again, but do it mindfully and "pay" for the high cals somehow!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    As long as it's in your calories, eat what you want! Just watch out the sodium... But heck, I had cheesecake as lunch two weeks ago.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Lol it's not me in the picture haha. It's just a random guy on the tv who i think is funny so i put him on some jacked guys body :laugh:

I know, hon. It my silly way of saying, "don't stress" :)
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    *ALL* food is okay to have sometimes.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh yes. Not everyday obviously but you are allowed to treat yourself once in a while.

Actually, no offense, but if you are meeting your goals, then every day is fine, too.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Of course it is. I don't go out of my way for takeaway's anymore, but the rest of my family do. At first, I used to refuse, but now I get something. Usually once a week, tbh.

Chicken fried rice, chips and curry sauce with prawn toast. <<< The ultimate Chinese takeaway!