Doing everything right - my skin looks like cr*p!

Options
Hi there,

I've been eating well and working out for the last three months and my skin has got progressively worse. I drink loads of water, eat plenty of veggies and fish etc, so why isn't my skin glowing like it should?

I seem to always have several spots around my mouth and chin area and it's really getting me down, when I was less mindful of what I ate and was a couch potato my skin looked great. My body is looking better and better, it's like something is trying to balance me out, so I can't be too smoking hot ;)

Has anyone else had this? I'm wondering if it's due to sweating more? I do wash my face with an antibacterial face wash once I've cooled down after my morning workout.

Help me please.

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fats? Healthy fats are good for skin and hair.
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options

^This is what I was wondering.
  • VonTinka
    VonTinka Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I get this! I have such bad spots now since loosing weight! It's on my chest but mostly on my chin and face they really hurt too...i've used everything to try get rid of them :(
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm not often much under my fats. I use real butter and have cheese and yogurts etc.
    I'd love an excuse to eat more though, so maybe I'll give it a try.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

^ That would be my question.

The minimum fat intake you should get is 0.35 grams per lb of body weight. So if you are 140lbs, then the minimum fat intake should be 49 grams, again this should be seen as a minimum.

ETA: Looked at your diary, fat intake does not seem to be the issue, you get plenty
  • lulabellarama
    Options
    ...in fact looking at my fats, it's the one area I'm consistently slightly over on
  • bluesunset2015
    Options
    It could be hormonal issues, maybe you should have your family doctor check it out. You could also see a dermatologist?
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you are not using too many skin products that can dry skin out and make break outs worse. Dry skin causes your body to produce more oil to balance it out, which causes more breakouts.

I switched to a milder cleanser, and my break outs are getting better.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Do you tan or go out in the sun a lot without sunscreen? If not now then have you ever? Even as a child? Sun is extremely hard on skin and can do a lot of damage including pock marks, dark spots and blemishes.
  • lulabellarama
    Options
    Hormonal issue: It presents like that's the issue, but I'm on a birth control pill that is supposed to be helpful for preventing breakouts.

Dry skin: I don't use a lot of products on my skin. Just the face wash after working out (which I started after the problem began) then a light moisturiser with some added almond oil. I wear make up for work, but not loads, and it hasn't changed recently.

I'm just a freak, clearly!
  • lulabellarama
    Options
    Sun exposure: Chance would be a fine thing in the UK. I do get some dark pigmentation when I get a tan in summer, but this is actual spots, sore and lumpy. Bleurgh.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I used to have the worst acne ever!!! A lot of times people will say to wash your face MORE but really you should be gentle with it. Maybe try a milder soap and washing your face just with your hands (no rags) and use a fresh clean towel every day. You could even try washing your towels in a milder detergent. Moisturizer is important too!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you drink enough water? I got the same thing when I started working out and I swore black and blue that it wasn't dehydration. But then I started tracking my water and drinking a little more and my skin cleared up pretty quickly. Now when it gets bad I just make sure to drink extra water.
  • lulabellarama
    Options
    I'm going to try the milder cleanser for a start. But without too much optimism as I only started using the antibacterial one in response to the breakouts.
  • lulabellarama
    Options
    I'll also double my efforts with water
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My skin is ALWAYS worse in the winter and has been particularly bad recently (and I'm also in the UK). I know it sounds counterintuitive, but a more intensive moisturiser does tend to make a bit of a difference - maybe try that or get a really skin quenching facial :smile:
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    <---- trying to figure out why OP thinks crap is a bad word
  • lulabellarama
    Options
    Ha, I swear likea trooper IRL. I just don't want to offend any sensitive folk.
  • charliex2202
    charliex2202 Posts: 4,281 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the best thing for skin is to do nothing to it...I know it sounds crazy but believe me the less i do to my skin the better it looks, i wash with just water as soap irritates my skin I use a cleanser/scrub once a week only and just face cream at night time..... this works for me and my skin stays clear...
  • alittleteapot
    alittleteapot Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me and my dermatologist recommended aloe. Not the kind you buy at the drugstore, but the actual gel from inside the plant. I have used it for about two months now, and my skin is flawless. I wash with Dove soap, and then dab on the gel all over, in place of moisturizer. My skin feels hydrated and no more bumps or dry patches from the stuff I was using before.