MY SCALES HAVE BEEN LYING TO ME! :(

Options
Im so annoyed! I thought I was doing so well, generally watching what I was eating (difficult when you're a student and not only short of cash but constantly hungover and craving carbs), and I was at a steady 9 stones (126lbs for you americans), and THEN my housemate said 'those scales are wrong, the ones in the gym tell me i'm 14 stones, and they only say 13.'

Of course, I checked (weighed myself at my own gym) and he was right. My scales had been hiding a stone from me. I am heartbroken and feel very betrayed lol.

So here is my dilemma. I need motivation!!! I'm completely sick with the idea of weighing 140lbs. It's honestly heartbreaking. I was wondering why my jeans were difficult to get on - here is the answer haha.

hhhhhhheeeeeeeeellllllllpppppppppppppp

Replies

• darkon
    darkon Posts: 5,342 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Lol poor you :(
    Bad bad scale
  • hectormdom
    Options
    Oh blimey, that sucks soooooo hard, same thing happened to me :(
    A scale I had at home (currently in the bin) lied to me, it was about 7 Kg off

I found that out after I went to the doctor for my annual medical examination,
    I thought I was doing better, but apparently not :(

The thing is... I still had progress, I just had to eat the fact that I had a very different starting point than the one I thought.

Chin up lass :D
    You look awesome ;)

P. S. you are from my favourite part of the world ever :P greetings from Mexico!!
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    How could a scale do that to someone? That's mean!
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    hiyas :)

it is important to stick with the same scale because not all scales are made equal. I bought one scale online for like 40 bucks and decided that whatever that scale said is what I weighed and left it at that. Scales can be a very depressing checkup when you use multiple one's because the chances they will be the same is unlikely. I would also suggest weighing in at the same time everytime which should be as soon as you wake up and after you're workout. If you don't workout in the morning then just weigh in after you use the bathroom.

Hope that helps :)

Cheer up,

Tof
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    This is worse than that Chinese dude who punched those puppies to death.

I'd have to be really mean to my scales if they did this to me!!
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Throw out the scale and buy a measuring tape. I've been at the same weight for two months but gone down a pants size. I guess my scale has been telling me lies too?
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

I'm so sad about the punched puppies, I cannot even reply!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • ScottF83
    Options

I'm so sad about the punched puppies, I cannot even reply!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

True story too, unfortunately. One of them bit him.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Short of cash and hungover all the time... Now that is funny. Glad to see your priorities are straight. Hmm, lets see... Eat properly exercise, get good grades? Or! Party and blame an inanimate object for my problem
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Scales are over rated and so is weighing yourself. I know I need to cut back and get my butt moving more when my clothes fill a little snug.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    Options
    Short of cash and hungover all the time... Now that is funny. Glad to see your priorities are straight. Hmm, lets see... Eat properly exercise, get good grades? Or! Party and blame an inanimate object for my problem
    I was going to comment on that, but I drank a LOT in college and still managed good grades.
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    Throw out the scale and buy a measuring tape. I've been at the same weight for two months but gone down a pants size. I guess my scale has been telling me lies too?

All scales are proven lyin ba*******. Mine have been "lost" up a tree with the squirrels for about 8 months and stuck with measures.
    Much better way!!!
  • ScottF83
    Options
    I was going to comment on that, but I drank a LOT in college and still managed good grades.

There were grades in college? Hmm.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you are the same person, and you look the same, whether the scales say you weigh 126lb or 140lb. I mean what the heck difference does a number make? If you were happy maintaining your weight when the scale said 126lb, and you were happy with what you saw in the mirror, then who cares if it's really 140lb? If you thought you looked too fat before, and wanted to lose weight, then carry on losing weight. But don't change your opinion of yourself based on a number on the scale. Look in the mirror, look at how your clothes fit, because that's what everyone else sees. The don't know or care (or shouldn't care) how much you actually weigh. If you look good, you look good. If you have too much body fat, you have too much body fat and should lose some. Body fat percentage is a far more reliable indicator of whether you have too much body fat or not than the scale is.
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think the number only matters if it means you thought you had a healthy BMI and now don't. Even then, BMI isn't terribly accurate anyway, and it's more important that you're happy with your appearance as opposed to the number on the scale.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    you are the same person, and you look the same, whether the scales say you weigh 126lb or 140lb. I mean what the heck difference does a number make? If you were happy maintaining your weight when the scale said 126lb, and you were happy with what you saw in the mirror, then who cares if it's really 140lb? If you thought you looked too fat before, and wanted to lose weight, then carry on losing weight. But don't change your opinion of yourself based on a number on the scale. Look in the mirror, look at how your clothes fit, because that's what everyone else sees. The don't know or care (or shouldn't care) how much you actually weigh. If you look good, you look good. If you have too much body fat, you have too much body fat and should lose some. Body fat percentage is a far more reliable indicator of whether you have too much body fat or not than the scale is.

Exactly! The real value of scales is in tracking changes in your weight so as long as you use the same set of scales each time you weight the actual number doesn't really matter. It's not like the number on the scales is going to affect your health or appearance, or is somehow carried around with you all day for others to see. How do you know that the scales in the gym aren't the ones that are wrong? Unless your exact weight is important for medical reasons I wouldn't stress about it. Focus on eating well and looking after your health. Oh, and on studying!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    For every alcoholic beverage you drink, chase it with 3 glasses of water.

Water is cheaper than booze, you'll avoid the hang over and lose weight.

3 problems, one solution.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It really shouldn't matter...so long as you're using the same scale every time it is going to be accurate in RE to your trends...i.e. losing, maintaining, gaining. The actual number itself is pretty irrelevant. Nobody looks at anybody and says, wow...that person is X stone or XXX Lbs. The actual number is completely irrelevant.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Scales are all calibrated differently. Just stick with one scale and if you see a consistent loss or maintenance at a point where you feel happy then that's what matters.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    Options
    alcohol_is_a_solution_tshirt.jpg?color=White&height=225&width=225
    For every alcoholic beverage you drink, chase it with 3 glasses of water.

Water is cheaper than booze, you'll avoid the hang over and lose weight.

3 problems, one solution.