MY SCALES HAVE BEEN LYING TO ME! :(

Options

Replies

• MissingPainting
    MissingPainting Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Aww, that's terrible :(
    Thing's that motivate me:
    +The heavier you are, the quicker you lose weight.
    +It's not just about losing weight, It' about becoming healthy and energetic... and HAPPY :)
    Like David Viscott said: You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Scales are all calibrated differently. Just stick with one scale and if you see a consistent loss or maintenance at a point where you feel happy then that's what matters.
    I'm confused. Bathroom scales are precision instruments and are calibrated by their users on a regular basis? I know I calibrated one in my classes in college, and the one at work. But never at home.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    How do you know it isn't the gym scale that's wrong?
  • tindy5799
    tindy5799 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    LOOK IN THE MIRROR. Grab a measuring tape. Do you LOOK any differently at 140 lbs than when you *thought* you were 126 lbs? No.

Stop aiming for an arbitrary number, lift heavy, eat at a deficit, take pictures, measure, and use the scale every week or so if you really feel compelled just to get an idea but the scale can't tell you everything. Work for the way you want to look, not the number you want to label yourself.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Im so annoyed! I thought I was doing so well, generally watching what I was eating (difficult when you're a student and not only short of cash but constantly hungover and craving carbs), and I was at a steady 9 stones (126lbs for you americans), and THEN my housemate said 'those scales are wrong, the ones in the gym tell me i'm 14 stones, and they only say 13.'

Of course, I checked (weighed myself at my own gym) and he was right. My scales had been hiding a stone from me. I am heartbroken and feel very betrayed lol.

So here is my dilemma. I need motivation!!! I'm completely sick with the idea of weighing 140lbs. It's honestly heartbreaking. I was wondering why my jeans were difficult to get on - here is the answer haha.

hhhhhhheeeeeeeeellllllllpppppppppppppp

Sucks! Butttt as long as the scale is moving in the right direction it's still good :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    It really shouldn't matter...so long as you're using the same scale every time it is going to be accurate in RE to your trends...i.e. losing, maintaining, gaining. The actual number itself is pretty irrelevant. Nobody looks at anybody and says, wow...that person is X stone or XXX Lbs. The actual number is completely irrelevant.
    THIS. People losing weight focus too much on the scale. Though it's a tool to help for indication, it doesn't measure inches lost, shape, or body fat% (accurately since water plays a part on those bio impedance scales). The mirror and how your clothes fit should be your best indicator.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    alcohol_is_a_solution_tshirt.jpg?color=White&height=225&width=225
    For every alcoholic beverage you drink, chase it with 3 glasses of water.

Water is cheaper than booze, you'll avoid the hang over and lose weight.

3 problems, one solution.

HA!

solution_5.jpg
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    A stone is 14 lbs .. if it really is out by that much. Time for a new scale.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    How do you know it isn't the gym scale that's wrong?

That was my first thought, too.
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Cut out the drinking and you will no longer be "short of cash and constantly hungover."
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Throw out the scale and buy a measuring tape. I've been at the same weight for two months but gone down a pants size. I guess my scale has been telling me lies too?

This! The measuring tape won't lie!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    stop being constantly hungover....
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    While you people are whining about scales lying to you.... someone has much bigger issues.

This girl....

42358075_6377.jpg

was duped by this man....

426955_10151004915647052_2062859334_n.jpg

read all about it, here....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1143854-what-would-you-do

and here.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1144313-beware

In her own words......

I am on a mission.
    I was a victim of sham marriage fraud, I am on a mission to fix me and the laws in this country!

Lying scales? Ha ! 'This creep....' lied to the US Government. And to his G/F.

liar_xlarge.jpeg
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    While you people are whining about scales lying to you.... someone has much bigger issues.

This girl....

was duped by this man....

read all about it, here....

and here.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1144313-beware

In her own words......

I am on a mission.
    I was a victim of sham marriage fraud, I am on a mission to fix me and the laws in this country!

Lying scales? Ha ! 'This creep....' lied to the US Government. And to his G/F.

This is the bacon-topped cupcake of thread hi-jacking.... Delicious, but has potential to cause a heart-attack.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    This is the bacon-topped cupcake of thread hi-jacking.... Delicious, but has potential to cause a heart-attack.

I think that's a compliment? I mean, you're using bacon and cupcakes to describe my work.... ? :blushing:
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I just found out a Nigerian "prince" and his bank manager have been lying to me about my savings account that I didn't know I had in the Bank of Nigeria! I only had to pay the taxes to get to my millions. So close.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

I think that's a compliment? I mean, you're using bacon and cupcakes to describe my work.... ? :blushing:

Yes. It was highest of praise, actually. I bow to thee.
    I just found out a Nigerian "prince" and his bank manager have been lying to me about my savings account that I didn't know I had in the Bank of Nigeria! I only had to pay the taxes to get to my millions. So close.

Mind reader!!!
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Check the pads under the scale, sometimes something can get under it and mess with it's reading. But, I agree with the guy who said, Stay with the same scale
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'll preface this by saying if your pictures are current, you look pretty awesome already.

But, where you worried about your appearance before checking the gym scale? Are you worried/more worried now? If you answer any of those with No, consider that the scale is perhaps not that important and neither is some arbritrary weight figure.
  • harrietlg
    Options
    if you drink all the time stick to diet drinks with spirit since it's lower in calories. Plan your meals ahead of time to save yourself money. whatever your hangover food is make a healthy alternative to it. I find that digital scales are more reliable