Any Thanksgiving Success Stories?

Options
Here's mine...

I had a fabulous day yesterday. I took this day as a real day of enjoyment and cooked all day, but the difference is/was it was totally stress free. I enjoy every hour of lovingly preparing a boatload of goodies for my family and friends. Instead of fretting about cals--I had a cup of coffee w/cream for my breakfast (something I've been denying myself for the past couple of months). Then, I ate the yummiest stuff for dinner and had 5 of my homemade butter cookies, which were so delicious--WOW!

I went over my calories for sure and ate a total of 2008 calories yesterday. It's RARE that I go over my calories--but I'm glad I did, got outta my self-imposed strict staying UNDER my daily calorie allowance box (to have a day of enjoyment family, friends and foods that I don't indulge in regularly) and I'm glad I did too. I am looking forward to working out today!

What was your Thanksgiving success story?

Replies

• patols1
    patols1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I prepared all the goodies and food for the family yesterday. however I made out the recipes ahead of time and figured out the calories. I calculated how much of all my favorites I could have and I stuck by it. I made special healthy snacks for myself and the not healthy ones that everyone else loves for them(thankfully I don't like there snacks anyway). The healthy snacks I made are the ones that actually got totally eaten. instead of pie for me I had low cal banana nut bread which was great and I am not a big pie fan anyway so I loved my desert. I stayed under my calories. I was satisfied and all my cravings were met too. I did my exercise in the morning before anyone go up. It was a great day with lots of love and laughs. Now what to do with all those leftovers that I cant eat. :(
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I prepared all the goodies and food for the family yesterday. however I made out the recipes ahead of time and figured out the calories. I calculated how much of all my favorites I could have and I stuck by it. I made special healthy snacks for myself and the not healthy ones that everyone else loves for them(thankfully I don't like there snacks anyway). The healthy snacks I made are the ones that actually got totally eaten. instead of pie for me I had low cal banana nut bread which was great and I am not a big pie fan anyway so I loved my desert. I stayed under my calories. I was satisfied and all my cravings were met too. I did my exercise in the morning before anyone go up. It was a great day with lots of love and laughs. Now what to do with all those leftovers that I cant eat. :(

How wonderful for you! I guess all the stuff I made was a super hit, because we had left-overs, but just barely enough for us all yesterday...everything is GONE now.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    My sister asked me to bring the pumpkin & apple pies ...... I put them on the table with the dozen other pies, cakes and plates of cookies ......

I didn't eat one bite of dessert the entire day ...... and didn't even miss it ....... total victory !

GoGranny.gif
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I ate half of a cheesecake all by myself!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I walked two miles and did some serious weight work before the first of the two Thanksgiving meals I had to go to. To keep family peace, we had to go to both. First was lunch with my family and the second one was with my husband's family. I ate what I wanted at both, but didn't eat the desserts, and didn't miss it either. I didn't overindulge and didn't go over my calories, but if I had, I wouldn't have felt guilty either. It's one day...
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    yeah, I had 2250 calories and lost a pound when I weighed this morning! HA!
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I ate a reasonable portion of everything I wanted, and didn't feel bloated, hungry, or like I was depriving myself at all :) I had a really nice day, got some of my aunt's apple crisp and it was amazing <3 yum.

Oh! & for the first time, I dished out portions I could actually finish. The past couple social events I've been to, I've been putting huge portions on my plate and realizing I can't finish all of it without feeling sick. My eyes have finally adjusted to my stomach :)
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

Slacker! Success would have been eating the whole thing!! But I like the way you think :drinker:
  • Cali_Chica
    Cali_Chica Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I only had TWO pieces of pie after dinner.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I ate A LOT of food on Thanksgiving. Today was my weigh in day and I was down 1.2lbs. I was surprised since my mom is all about SALT! I was expecting to be up because of water weight.
  • AYELLOWROSE17
    Options
    Well for Thanksgiving, it was just myself and my husband. We went to a buffet, YaY, I didn't have to cook. I do not like to cook, I am terrible at cooking.
    We ate our LUNCH and left. I had stuffing, candied yams, small amount of cranberry sauce, one piece of bread, a slice of ham with a pineapple ring on top, one small piece of chocolate cake, yum, and a small piece of carrot cake, yum. I had iced tea to drink.
    When we came home there was nothing to nibble on since we had gone out to eat. That was a plus. I did buy some luncheon meats and cheeses and chips for my Son and my grandsons. As they were due to come over that evening.
    So, all in all, I guess I did okay. Made a couple oops, but it was one day. So, I just move on.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Slacker! Success would have been eating the whole thing!! But I like the way you think :drinker:

I know :grumble: I was aiming for an entire cheesecake. I think I had too much breakfast, turkey and mashed potatoes before dessert. Next year I'm skipping the meal and starting with cheesecake.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

Was it Eli's Chocolate Chip Turtle Cheesecake by any chance?
  • shoing
    shoing Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Cooked my turkey Wednesday and deboned all but breast to have Thursday. Thursday morning My Mom, DD, and myself volunteered to serve Thanksgiving dinner at the Salvation Army. Then back to the house to warm up turkey, peel baked sweet potatoes (did baked sweet potatoes instead of a pie), cooked low sodium green bean casserole, and had cranberry sauce and Hawaiian Bread. I was pleasantly surprised when I weighed my turkey for supper and realized I underestimated how much I ate for dinner. Now today wasn't as good but after cooking preparing food for three hours still stayed below my calories. Even if I didn't log my exercise I would have only gone over my total calories by 17. I enjoyed every mouthful so I do not feel bad about it at all especially since I made good choices and it's just one day. Happy Holidays everyone.
  • majess1022
    majess1022 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was two small bites into the *very small* yet so amazing pecan dessert bar on my plate. My toddler then began vomiting at (and on) the dinner table. Chaos ensued. Dessert avoided.

That counts as a win, right?!?
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I was two small bites into the *very small* yet so amazing pecan dessert bar on my plate. My toddler then began vomiting at (and on) the dinner table. Chaos ensued. Dessert avoided.

That counts as a win, right?!?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :noway: :cry: {{{{Hugs to you and baby }}}} :cry: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Okay...that's soooo NOT funny, but at the same token, really funny sounding. "Chaos ensued. Dessert avoided. That's counts as a win, right"....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That sounds REALLY funny. Hope your little darling is feeling better--sorry for the mess/chaos too!:flowerforyou:
  • usmcmp
    Options

Homemade. Better than anything you could buy at a store. Also very rich.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

Homemade. Better than anything you could buy at a store. Also very rich.

I KNOW for a FACT that homemade/baked at home, made from scratch anything most always trumps store bought, but when you said you ate a 1/2 cheesecake...I had a:noway: flashback:noway: of/from about 20 or so years ago, when I had some of this cheesecake from Eli's, it was a chocolate chip turtle (ya know, the chocolate, caramel, pecan candy thingy) cheesecake. Now I don't like sweets and things like I did 20 some-odd years ago (when I was skinny as a rail and younger and had a major sweet tooth), but honey...that Chocolate Chip Turtle cheesecake was the most decadent, yummy, WOW...fabulous cheesecake I've EVER had in all my years on this earth (including homemade). Thinking of eating a half of cheesecake FOR ME (even back when) would be almost impossible...but NOT that bad boy, I'm SURE I could devour half of that (not at one sitting of course, but thru out the day--the cake came with at least 14 large slices too)....wow, I haven't thought of that chocolate chip turtle cheesecake in years--THE YUM! :love:
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Today I managed to steal a half of a pumpkin cupcake from my three year-old. That was a success story right there, since she usually just noms the cupcake before I can get even a bite.

Especially with cream cheese frosting. Little imp has excellent taste, I have to give her that..
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Well I guess this is a success of sorts: I didn't over eat but definitely ate, and had small portions of whatever I wanted. Apparently eating all of that rich food didn't agree with me....:sick: I have been eating extremely clean for several months. For the first time in my life my body rejected food that wasn't good for me...it knew! The next day I was up and out at the gym and back on a track.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!