Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cold weather running

Hello all!

Does anyone have any good tips for a newbie cold weather runner?!! I'd love any advice on specific gear or whatever helps you!

Replies

• emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    I am bumping this because I have toyed with the idea of running more recently but it is FREEZING where I am :p

Good luck to everyone in your continued fitness goals!
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Layers, and more layers!! Today I ran 9 miles in temps of 12! I had on long running tights, and longsleeve tech shirt, a fleece sweatshirt and a wind vest, gloves and a hat and I was toasty warm after the first mile!! Dress as though it is 30 degrees warmer than it is. And don't go out and spend a lot of money on cold weather gear, just use stuff you have already and experiment to see how your feel! Cold weather running does not need to be scary!
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    I quite like winter running...once I get warmed up!

I tend to wear running tights and a long sleeved lined top. (Start fitness do a good one if you're in the UK) thumb holes are good as you can keep your hands warm without overheating in gloves. I tend to wear a huge stretchy headband/bandana rather than a hat since I have yet to find a hat that doesn't ride up! Plus I like to cover my ears.

As far as ice is concerned...I like to avoid it! I'm not really blessed with grace and coordination so I have yet to try ice grips for running - I tend to hit the treadmill if it looks skiddy.

And lots of tissues! My nose is like a tap in the cold weather!
  • Completely agree with KristiRTT. I hate the gym and therefore try to run more when it's cold. I wear an ear band to keep my ears warm as well. If it's super windy, there isn't much you can do to keep from it smacking your face. When it's super windy, I just suck it up and go to the gym, even though I get so bored. I wear the long spandex-y type pants. I often wear a sweatshirt that I can take off mid run and tie it around my waist is i get too hot. Best of luck!!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Layers is the way to go.

If you feel cold at the start, that's fine. You should be comfortable once you warm up. If you're still too cold 15 minutes in, wear more next time. Too warm, wear less.
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Bumping for tips!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    it's 66 here today so I suggest running tights and a hoodie
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Invest in good clothes for running in cold weather.

I have some well fitted fleece-lined running pants, warm socks, good shoes and a fleece lined zip-up running shirt (has holes in the sleeves for your thumbs so the sleeves don't ride up). In the bitter cold (the other day I ran 6.5 miles in 18 degree weather), gloves are very important. Once my hands start to feel freezing, it makes the run much more miserable-a simple pair of fleece gloves to keep your fingers toasty makes all the difference. A hat is also good. I just have an under armor pink hat to keep my ears warm. Underneath the sweatshirt, sometimes I wear thermal shirts if it's extra cold...a scarf or turtle-fur neck warmer can help too.

Stretching beforehand to keep your muscles relaxed and prevent them from tensing up in the cold is also important. Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate.

Best of luck!
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    I may sound dumb, but do you guys carry water when you are running? If so, how? I have a large nalgene and it gets heavy :p
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    I may sound dumb, but do you guys carry water when you are running? If so, how? I have a large nalgene and it gets heavy :p

I don't unless I'm at the gym. I drink water before I run and then again after.
  • geeberfever
    geeberfever Posts: 19 Member
    Wow! Thanks for the tips! I've been wearing compression tights and a cotton shirt w a fleece zip up and a headband thus far and it's been alright! Oh and gloves!!!!!!

As for water, I don't bring any! But, I don't run further than like 3 miles so I can wait until I get home...
  • A lot of runners have "problem" body parts that are affected worse than others. For me it is the hands so I wear two pairs of gloves when I run. Some other great gear is a balaclava for your face and compression socks to avoid blisters when wet/slushy.
  • I may sound dumb, but do you guys carry water when you are running? If so, how? I have a large nalgene and it gets heavy :p

I do if I'm out for a couple of hours or more, I've got a camelbak thing that carries over 3 pints of water which is lots lots more than even I can drink on the move and I drink a lot more than the average person for various reasons. I've also got a little bottle that slips over my hand so it doesn't have to be held but I find anything in or on my hands very annoying after a while. If you spend the rest of your time drinking plenty of water, making a special effort the night before and morning of a longer run, you might find you don't really need to drink while you are running.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    All great advice. LAYERS! I find that, in addition to my body, my lungs "get cold". For me, transitioning them to warm them up helps. So when the weather dips below about 25f I wear a bandana around my neck, and start my run with it pulled up. As I get warmer I start breathing through my nose some, and about 5 minutes in I'm able to move the bandana down and go about my run.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    it's 66 here today so I suggest running tights and a hoodie

lol..this is shorts and a tee running weather
  • I did my first cold weather run this morning. Was 20 out this morning. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but yes definitely layers. Even layers where you don't think you need layers. I didn't layer up as much on the legs figuring the amount of movement would keep them warm. I was wrong.

But on this note any suggestion for things to help with breathing the cold air? While it wasn't a huge issue this morning I can see if it gets much colder that I will start having trouble with the air.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Layers and tissues like others said. :smile: I went this morning when it was 26 degrees! I actually wore capri leggings and a hoodie. Mid 20's is about my limit for not wearing long pants.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    I'm also new to winter running - I got myself some winter running pants (didn't like the tights - they just fit funny), some long underwear - the wicking material type (walmart has them at a good price), a shell (windbreaker type jacket). I wear 2 shirts, my shell, my longjohns and my shell - hat and mitts of course and I'm warm - sometimes even hot. It's -21 with the windchill factor.

Layering I'm finding is the key.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I did my first cold weather run this morning. Was 20 out this morning. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but yes definitely layers. Even layers where you don't think you need layers. I didn't layer up as much on the legs figuring the amount of movement would keep them warm. I was wrong.

But on this note any suggestion for things to help with breathing the cold air? While it wasn't a huge issue this morning I can see if it gets much colder that I will start having trouble with the air.
    I just posted what works for me. Hope you find what works for you.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    I did my first cold weather run this morning. Was 20 out this morning. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but yes definitely layers. Even layers where you don't think you need layers. I didn't layer up as much on the legs figuring the amount of movement would keep them warm. I was wrong.

i bought a fleece neck warmer thingie (not sure if neck warmer is the correct term) and i just pull it over my nose when the cold air breathing gets tough