Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cold weather running

Replies

• I'm new to running and this is my first winter, thank you guys for all the tips. Tissues are important , nose drips like a tap:laugh: I wear layers, hat and gloves. It was 4 degrees C (39 F) this morning , the sun was shinning , wind was bitter though!

Thanks a lot:flowerforyou:
  • gloves are a must!!

and something to cover your ears. even if you don't listen to music, wear some earphones anyway. wind chill in the ear is not fun!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Again layers. A few light layers. Last weekend it was 12 degrees (F) with a 2 degree windchill and I had 3 light layers on the top (light fleece quarter-zip, light tech quarter-zip, light full-zip sweatshirt), with both medium & light tights on the bottom (and cotton shorts over them for pockets) and was very comfortable once I got going. The medium tights are Reebok that I got on sale and everything else I bought at Target or Walmart. I had on light running gloves, a light dri-weave hat & the sweatshirt had a hood. The zippers on the tops are nice because at some point I did get warm enough that I needed to unzip enough to get some extra air in, but then on my cooldown walk I zippered back up.

Also depending on how cold it really is where you are (cold is relative), if you're out in a cold wind & don't want to cover your face put Vaseline on exposed surfaces to protect from windburn.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    I may sound dumb, but do you guys carry water when you are running? If so, how? I have a large nalgene and it gets heavy :p

Today is the first day that I did, and it was an 8 mile run (and I'm slow so I was out running for a long time). Otherwise I chew gum while I run just to keep from getting dry mouth.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    As we dont get it as cold as you Americans, it only gets down to about 30 F currently, maybe down to 15 F at worst. But always the same - base layer, mock and tights. I used two sprints to warm up and the rest is taken care of. Maybe also a windproof jacket if its a bit of a wind chill.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    gloves are a must!!

and something to cover your ears. even if you don't listen to music, wear some earphones anyway. wind chill in the ear is not fun!!

One suggestion for gloves, make sure you wear lightweight ones. If you wear ones that are too warm & you pull them off after your hands have started to sweat, the cold air is going to be brutal on them. My hands, like the rest of me, are a little too cold until I've warmed up.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    it's 66 here today so I suggest running tights and a hoodie

lol..this is shorts and a tee running weather
    Shorts & tee for anything above 30.
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    I agree - layers, layers, layers

I usually wear either long or 3/4 pants long sleeve top, lightweight jacket and gloves, light ones cos my hands get too hot otherwise!

I do cross country and am now considering getting some spikes so that I'm at not slipping all over the place in the mud lol It's good fun though :tongue:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    it's 66 here today so I suggest running tights and a hoodie

lol..this is shorts and a tee running weather
    Shorts & tee for anything above 30.

30? It gets that cold?
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    I have headphone issues..they're always uncomfortable...so I bought a woollen hat with built in headphones.
    Keeps me proper toasty. :)
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    I just bought myself long running tights and went for a run at 9pm at a temp of 3 degrees - they were awesome! Get yourself running tights, long sleeves and layer up. Its always easy to take layers off if you get too warm. I read once that you have to dress for it being 10 degrees warmer than it actually is.
  • I usually don't run if it's cold and wet. However I do not mind the cold on it's own. I just hate being cold and wet - it just makes me miserable.

ANYWAY.. back to your original question. I did my run outside in the cold this morning with a normal bra, sports crop top bra thingie, a running sleeveless t-shirt, a running jersey and a running jacket, along with full length running trousers. By the time i was half way through my run I had taken of the jacket but everything else kept me a lovely toasty temp inside while my face was freezing from the cold. I agree with everyone else. LAYERS :) x
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    I guess it also depends on how cold you're talking.

Here in the Mid Atlantic it rarely reaches the arctic cold temperatures it did in Montana where I grew up.

There was a winter this arctic front came down from Canada-the university I was going to is at the mouth of a canyon so tons of freezing cold wind came down through there. One winter it reached 20 below. You could see students running around from class to class, long underwear, sweat pants, some snow pants too. Two pairs of socks and heavy boots, thick coats, mittens and scarves bundled up around our faces. You'd pull the scarf down when you got inside and there would be ice crystals forming on the fabric.

If you're talking cold like THAT cold, you're better off to work out inside. Nothing is worth running/exercising in serious cold like that...*shudder*
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    The clue to the answer is in my avatar ;)

Just completed my first Santa Dash, if anyone's wondering*

*nobody's wondering
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    It was super cold at the race I did on Thanksgiving. My body was properly warm, but my hands and feet were miserable. I had on thick socks and a I was wearing gloves. By the time I was done, my fingertips were waxy white and I couldn't move my fingers. I have another race in two weeks, so I have got to find something different before then. I bought toe warmers last night and some wool socks. I will also be using hand warmers and wool mittens over my gloves.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    This is the guide I use:
    30 degrees: 2 tops, 1 bottom. Long-sleeve base layer and a vest keep your core warm. Tights (or shorts, for polar bears).
    10 to 20 degrees: 2 tops, 2 bottoms. A jacket over your base layer, and wind pants over the tights.
    0 to 10 degrees:3 tops, 2 bottoms. Two tops (fleece for the cold-prone) and a jacket. Windbrief for the fellas.
    Minus 10 to 0 degrees: 3 tops, 2 bottoms, extra pair of mittens, 1 scarf wrapped around mouth or a balaclava.
    Minus 20 degrees:3 tops, 3 bottoms, 2 extra pairs of mittens, 1 balaclava, sunglasses. Or, says Arribas, “Stay inside.”

You will have to tweek and tune it for you.

As for gloves, I have 3 sets I use. A lightweight fingerless pair, a lightweight fingered pair, and a set of Underarmor Running gloves that have a pouch on top of the hand for disposable hand warmers.
  • geeberfever
    geeberfever Posts: 19 Member
    Hahaha @moya!

Thanks for bringing up the breathing issues too Sabine. I really need to bring something along to cover my mouth in the beginning! These are all good tips! Where I'm at it's usually 30 or below for the winter, so I have many chilly runs ahead of me! I personally love the winter and cold runs though!!!
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Under Armor Outlet is great, try online. Also Costco has some great stuff right now, I just got some gloves there that are really good. They have some Merino base layers that I love, tights and shirts. Layers are a must, base and heaver stuff. Also, sometime "running warehouse", runningwarehouse.com has some good stuff on sale.
  • Agreeing with LAYERS! Someone mentioned being sure gloves are lightweight because you don't want to have to take them off if you start sweating. I actually wear a pair of mittens where the mitten part can be buttoned to the back and then leaves me with fingerless gloves -- I really enjoy wearing them and they weren't expensive either. Now obviously this isn't something you want to wear if you need to always have gloves on because of very low temps -- but I'm in a coastal area that doesn't get super cold. When I lived in the mountains I had a pair of just nice lightweight gloves. What you need will depend on where you are and how low it gets :)

Someone else asked about cold on your face. I currently just wear an ear band, but I have something similar to this coming in the mail because a friend who runs a lot suggested one if I was going to keep running in the cold:
    http://www.backcountry.com/giordana-windtex-hannibal-face-mask
  • geeberfever
    geeberfever Posts: 19 Member
    I actually have one of those face masks things!!! Looks just like that, but is pink camo. (my mom won some weird giveaway online!) But I feel like I look like a total scary weirdo in it!!!! Don't have the guts to wear it out just yet, but maybe once it gets even colder out I'll be singin' a different tune! haha!