Why gluten-free?

Options
Why is there a gluten free craze? The only people who benefit from a gluten free diet are people with celiac disease and people who are sensitive to gluten. So why do people who are not in either of those groups think they need to go "gluten-free"?

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Because they are misguided.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    1) gullible
    2) they feel the subconscious need to punish themselves for getting fat
    3) to be trendy
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    People may think gluten free will help them to lose weight as the thing that is boasted a lot is bloat belly from wheat.

My dad was diagnosed around 20 years ago with coeliacs. When it was relatively unknown.

My mum thought he had cancer because he lost so much weight, he was vomiting/diarrhoea constantly.

Gluten intolerance is a major illness, if you have it....does a gluten free diet help you lose weight....a big fat NO.

In fact gluten free products have more calories than their gluten containing product friends
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    1) reduces bloating (no idea if true)
    2) partners with coeliac
  • stephygetsfitt
    Options
    I eat Gluten-Free because I have a very strong gluten sensitivity, possibly Celiac. However I hear people going gluten-free as a means to lose weight.

If you cut grains from your diet there is a chance you'll lose weight because you're not consuming high carb/caloric food. People who think they are going to lose weight by switching to Gluten-free carb products are actually likely to gain because the gluten-free foods are fullllll of salt, carbs and excess calories!

People who are trying to go gluten-free to lose weight need to skip the gluten-free products all together and substitute a whole food in it's place. Gluten containing grain is nutritious for people who are not sensitive so it's not a good idea to go gluten-free if you don't have too. lol. Plus it's not fun at all! Why would they?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You basically already called it - its a craze. a fad. something for people to jump on the bandwagon for. Probably something Dr.Oz talked about so the whole world feels it necessary to believe it.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have severe gluten intolerance so its necessary for me.

I think most people have some level of sensitivity. ie. bloating. For most people when they try it, it causes them to reduce their intake of bread, pasta, cakes and cookies. Its this drop that causes the first 10lb weightloss...and this leads to the newest diet craze. They havent really lost anything except their bloated belly and the water weight. Body comp hasnt really changed but, lets face it. Most people dont care where the loss comes from as long as the scale moves.

Long term going gluten free doesnt really cause weightloss unless its also causing a deficit. I still have to watch my calories to lose weight and i still have to exercise.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    because deep down we all like to believe in fairy tales
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Since being on mfp I've discovered I have an intolerance to gluten & retain water & bloat up if I have to much !
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    it's trendy
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I think most people have some level of sensitivity.

This sort of horrific misconception is why gluten-free is so popular.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Read the book Grain Brain, by Dr David Perlmutter. Here's a section from a book review that describes the gluten problem:

"What Perlmutter brings to the table is the idea that gluten teams up with high blood sugar to wreck the brain. The presence of high blood sugar, he explains, causes a reaction throughout the body called glycation, which he describes as "the biological process whereby glucose, proteins, and certain fats become tangled together, causing tissues and cells to become stiff and inflexible, including those in the brain."

In the brain, he explains, "sugar molecules and brain proteins combine to create deadly new structures that contribute more than any other factor to the degeneration of the brain and its functioning...this is made worse when powerful antigens [a substance that triggers an immunological response] like gluten accelerate the damage. "

Glycation can't be entirely avoided, but high blood sugar, as found in diabetics, he writes, exacerbates it. Where blood sugar is high, the brain (and other bodily structures) is constantly bathed in a glycating sugar bath. Recent studies show that having diabetes doubles one's risk of contracting Alzheimer's disease, he points out. The growing understanding of the connection between the two diseases has prompted some researchers to suggest that Alzheimer's be re-labeled "Type-3 Diabetes."

"The origin of brain disease is primarily dietary," he concludes, and not hereditary, as is most commonly assumed. Gluten, by triggering the immune system, causes inflammation in the brain, which encourages the brain's glycation by sugar circulating in the blood.

Perlmutter also presents evidence that some gluten breakdown products are in an endorphin-like class of molecules called exorphins, which are addictive. "
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Can I outline a gluten free diet in an easy peasy way, this is for people that have not been diagnosed with coeliacs?

You can eat meat/veg/fruit

If you want to eat bread/biscuits/cake then buy gluten free products. But they will have more calories/salt/sugar in them.
  • hammersoaps
    Options
    My Gram has Celiac disease with sprue. When she was first diagnosed 25 or so years ago, there was hardly anything gluten free on the market. Her and my grandpa had a pretty difficult time finding recipes, eating out, or even just finding everyday items in the grocery store. It always bugs me when everyone jumps on the latest fad or the new sexy problem to have, but in this case, it's awesome. I've found so many new thing for my Gram to eat! She's really excited that it's finally become a mainstream concern.

One of my cousins was having issues where she was losing weight, becoming irritable, and other minor yet annoying health issues. She went gluten free and has felt much better. She was able to gain weight again and her moods evened out. Now, she was tested for Celiac, but she doesn't have it. I'm sure there must be some sensitivity or even allergy she must have where her body just reacts poorly. It runs in the family, I wouldn't be surprised.

I just hope that they don't vilify gluten to the point that it becomes to new boogeyman for every problem people have. It really does undermine the seriousness of those with true issues from it.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Read the book Grain Brain, by Dr David Perlmutter. Here's a section from a book review that describes the gluten problem:

"What Perlmutter brings to the table is the idea that gluten teams up with high blood sugar to wreck the brain. The presence of high blood sugar, he explains, causes a reaction throughout the body called glycation, which he describes as "the biological process whereby glucose, proteins, and certain fats become tangled together, causing tissues and cells to become stiff and inflexible, including those in the brain."

In the brain, he explains, "sugar molecules and brain proteins combine to create deadly new structures that contribute more than any other factor to the degeneration of the brain and its functioning...this is made worse when powerful antigens [a substance that triggers an immunological response] like gluten accelerate the damage. "

Glycation can't be entirely avoided, but high blood sugar, as found in diabetics, he writes, exacerbates it. Where blood sugar is high, the brain (and other bodily structures) is constantly bathed in a glycating sugar bath. Recent studies show that having diabetes doubles one's risk of contracting Alzheimer's disease, he points out. The growing understanding of the connection between the two diseases has prompted some researchers to suggest that Alzheimer's be re-labeled "Type-3 Diabetes."

"The origin of brain disease is primarily dietary," he concludes, and not hereditary, as is most commonly assumed. Gluten, by triggering the immune system, causes inflammation in the brain, which encourages the brain's glycation by sugar circulating in the blood.

Perlmutter also presents evidence that some gluten breakdown products are in an endorphin-like class of molecules called exorphins, which are addictive. "

And not one study in cite . . .
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Why is there a gluten free craze?

A (very) small percentage of the population has a legitimate food sensitivity. The rest are looking for a new magic bullet, because pomegranate and acacia berries didn't pan out.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    because they like spending more money than necessary ? gluten free bread costs $5 a loaf vs $2 for regular.

i also think some people who arent legitimately affected by it do it as a way to mask eating disorders

You can eat meat/veg/fruit

If you want to eat bread/biscuits/cake then buy gluten free products. But they will have more calories/salt/sugar in them.
    i's really not that simple. as some one with wheat sensitivities i can tell you that just cutting out bread/biscuits/cake will not automatically leave you gluten free. flavored coffees, pickles, prepared veggie burgers, sausages, prepped salad dressings, cold cuts, curry powder, most prepared soups etc all contain gluten. cosmetic wise, many lipsticks also contain gluten

that's part of the reason why i think it's hilarious when people with non gluten sensitivities brag about how easy it is to be gluten free but they still use soy sauce, eat regular fries and use flavored coffee beans.

personally i'm ok with the craze because now that's why someone like me who has to eat wheat free has more options. for instance now betty crocker has a separate gluten free facility and they make box mixes just like for the normies :happy:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I will say this, with everyone thinking they have gluten intolerance it has opened up more choices for some like my sister who are actual celiac's.

My only fear is that it trivializes the disease. A person with celiac's doesn't have a choice if they have a cheat gluten meal because gluten causes so much pain and so much harm including total bowel removal. However, with the bandwagoners, uneducated it could mean there is a certain tolerable amount of gluten allowed in "gluten free" which could be devastating to anyone who suffers this disease.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I eat a fairly gluten-free diet, but I don't drop $5 on a loaf of gluten free bread, that's crazy. I just don't eat bread.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Perlmutter also presents evidence that some gluten breakdown products are in an endorphin-like class of molecules called exorphins, which are addictive. ".

And not one study in cite . . .

LOL what the heck is a brain protein? Serious people really believe that? Wow, P.T. Barnum was right. I'm writing a book I'm going to call it Insulin: silent killer.