WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hello all!
    Back in the saddle after spending the week with family in NYC. Went to a very interesting museum while I was there...the Tenement Museum(housed in former tenements and businesses). I took a 90 minute tour which was great as it featured the different ethnic groups that immigrated to NYC in the late 1800's. The tour guide really piqued our critical thinking about how immigrants struggled then (and now) to assimilate despite their strong cultural habits. After the tour, DH and I went to Katz's deli just down the street from the museum. First time I had beef (corned beef on rye) in months.
    This month is for gift-giving and I am gifting myself the power of discipline.
    I am going to be disciplined with my exercise, do a month of squat challenge, planks, and document.
    I am going to log my calories.
    I am going to diligently go to exercise at the gym twice a week.
    I am going to drink twice as much water in the evenings.
    And, to quote a wise woman, "I am going to act the way I want to feel." Hope I quoted Barbie correctly, it's an inspiring reminder for al of us! Thanks again Barbie for taking us through another great month!
    Susan
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle----Please tell me about Wii Balance games. I am curious, What do I have to get to play on Wii? Is it expensive and is it worth it? How often do you use it? Or....
    Do you prefer your fitness DVDs? I want to have some indoor exercise options and I think you have done a myriad workouts and know something about these Jillian Michaels DVDs I hear about. Which do you prefer? Thanks!
    Anyone else have preferences?
    Susan:smile:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hi again. I'm holed up in the bedroom with Bruno to keep from killing hubby. He was on the sofa clicking between three different movies and a football game. I try to remind myself that he doesn't feel good, but enough is enough. It was driving me nuts! I'm not sure he knows I left, but he might have missed Bruno by now. He's supposed to be in his office reading a thesis, but I guess he gave up on that. I can't for the life of me understand how or why a person would watch 5 minutes of one movie, then five of another, etc, then back again. And I had been trying to read a book.

We went to Applebee's tonight for supper. I had the small sirloin and a salad without bacon, croutons or dressing, so I didn't do to bad. Of course the steak was salted, but that the only salt I had all day, so I guess it's ok. It sure tasted good.

Night all.

Sylvia
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Good evening, lovelies!
    Whew, just caught up from pg 13 of November part 2 to here.

Hungry tonight even though I'm already over, but you gals inspired me so I'm snacking on cucumbers, red bell peppers and a tablespoon of hummus. Christmas baking started yesterday, so there were lots of other options, I'm happy with my choice, thanks to you all!

Barbie, Thanks for keeping this thread going. Love the stepping poodles!
    Robin, Mama Cindy, Pat(Phoo) glad to hear from you.
    Amanda sorry for your and dh's loss. Let us know about the surgeries.
    Molly my heart goes out to you. Hugs.
    Renny all that yoga, and a new bra size too! Huzzah!
    Katla do you live on a boat?
    Michelle "I'm certainly not into sports -- that is except to see those guys in their tight pants running around the football field." You made me snort my tea! TOM at 58? Oh noooo!
    Heather you inspire me. You really conquered breathlessness with a busted knee and wonky ankles? Then there's hope for me too and no more excuses.
    And you, JB dance and sing without running out of breath? Run UP a hill? Sign me up!
    Welcome Michelle/Dixie, Jean, Angie, Connie, Claudia (we're a chatty group as you'll soon see), Karen, jstmee, Lesa and anyone else I missed.
    Viv, Jane, Gail, Joyce, Jodios, DeeDee, Alison, Sylvia, Linda S, Kathy and all the new gals and everyone I missied, I'm so glad to see you all again. Won't be able to personally respond to all, may not even post daily but will lurk and post as often as I can.

Hugs,

animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the SW Idaho AHMOD of the healthier waist in 2013.

2013: Focus on the important stuff
    Today: Log like Mary, every bite lick or sip whether over, under or sidewise!
    December: Walk or dance 6 days a week.
    Just for now: trust, let go of anger, be a little kinder than necessary.
  • Smeltzer2
    Smeltzer2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    We cats love that chorus line of doggies. December plans are to move it more. Dance like the dogs. be more positive. Enjoy the holidays in moderation but enjiy tgem. Samson Solomon and Harriet
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi dear ladies - marking my spot for later.

:flowerforyou: Lots of pages to catch up on, and I'm sure I've only missed Sunday? Must have been a chatty weekend :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Went to the optician on Saturday and ended up buying two lots of glasses, one for distance and one for reading/computer work. Not sure how I'll get on with the computer ones, they are varifocals so I can read and look at the computer at the same time. They did say if I can't get on with them they'd change them. Not sure how this will affect my discount for needing them for the computer though I might have to pay it back. Anyway it's an expense I could have done without before Christmas. :ohwell:

:flowerforyou: Well I'd better get a move on I'm going shopping today, I'll try and get a few Christmas presents as well as some household bits and bobs.

:sad: Sad news about the helicopter crash in Scotland and the rail crash in USA - I feel for the families of those killed/injured, it always seems harder at this time of year when everyone is looking forward to Christmas.

Time to go - Take care dear friends - you never know what is around the corner,.

Viv ( trying to get warm in cold UK)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,749 Member
    Options
    I am up slept horrible and had my lemon water,with fresh lemons from our lemon tree in florida:wink:
    I am icing my heel and then will get dressed and race walk this morning..
    then make a meatloaf for the DH for dinner
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies,

Just finished with the dec posts and it is great to be encouraged by all the goals everyone has set for themselves.

I haven't really thought too much about it so I will post what I decide a little later.

Had a scale victory this week :laugh: which makes me happy since it was a holiday weekend. So I guess one of my goals for December will be to keep losing in spite of holiday gatherings.

I think one of the main things that has changed for me was actually buying the statin drug. That sort of made it real that I really do have to make some life style changes or take meds. My husband is really on board.

Looks like my DD will be getting married next summer or fall so we will have that to look forward too. I'll give more info as things progress. I'm happy for her.

I've got to go over to DD's house to let the heat/air guy in so he can work up an estimate for a new heating system. Now she was on vacation all last week and could have scheduled that while she was home so dear ole Mama get to do it. Like I don't have anything else to do! And then of course she will want to get at least one other estimate (maybe 2) so that means more trips over there. I'm going to have to start charging her mileage!

A big welcome to everyone new and those new to me since I have come back. Looking forward to all the encouragement from all you lovely ladies.

Cindy
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Bump :-) just finished marking one whack of essays....starting another pile today!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,070 Member
    Options
    A bump is a way to come back to a topic via your MY Topics I also use it to keep topics I want to revisit. Your my topics will list up to 25 topics. If you post alot and want to find a topic again go to search.
    What is bump?
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,070 Member
    Options
    Went to a wedding this weekend at Salvage One in Chicago had a great time and danced the night away. Unfortunately something I ate did not agree with me. Fortunately we made it home before the symptoms hit. I will set some December goals once I feel better. I do not recommend this as a way to lose weight. LOL:laugh:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Viv, I just had to order new computer glasses too. Bruno ate my old ones. Luckily we had not used up our vision insurance for the year so they only cost the $25 copay.

I just got up to make hubby his breakfast and see him out the door. Now I'm going back to bed.

Sylvia
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Updated my ticker to reflect the added pounds :frown: But at least I'm doing something about it and am logging my food again! I thought I would just be able to maintain until 1-1 without logging but I was wrong. I think my daughter is right and I actually am not eating enough calories. Here's to getting back on track :drinker: Off to start the new job.

Have a super duper day! :flowerforyou:

Kathy in chilly IL
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Meg: How did the sweet potato biscuits turn out? I made some to go with C*ck-a-Leeky soup a few months ago and have been promising myself I’d do it again. We really liked them.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: Your kitchen sounds colorful and cheerful. Good luck adjusting your medicines.:flowerforyou:

Jodios: You’ve made sensible goals. When is the surgery coming up?:flowerforyou:

Gardengail: What is a slick? My tiny garden has been closed up for several weeks now. We live in a townhouse and there is just a fringe of dirt around the edge. I bought a blueberry bush to fill in a hole in a boxwood hedge and fell in love with it this past summer, so I decided to try to start more blueberries from cuttings. I have one or two that may still be alive out of nine cuttings. It will be a challenge to find a home for any cuttings that survive, but I’ll squeeze it/them in somewhere. I don’t name cut trees, only the living plants I use as trees, and the names are really targeted. Rosemary was a name I gave to three different rosemary bushes. Sadly, the last one died this summer. Since my new “tree” is a dwarf Alberta Spruce, it will have a name that is also extremely close to the species name. I’m going back and forth between Alberta and Albertina. I don’t know whether this plant species has separate genders. Holly does. Only the females have berries. I love your grandmother’s name. Albaretta is unique and pretty. My name is Kathy—and I’m one of zillions of Kathys in my generation. That is why I stick with the Katla name I’ve chosen.:wink:

Grandmallie: Your DH sounds like a handful. I’m sorry the TV went out and hope you’ll luck into a good sale.:flowerforyou:

Pat aka Phoo: MN weather must be quite a shock after living in AZ. I’m happy to hear you’re having the chance to connect with good friends. Good luck with your goals. :flowerforyou:

Sue in SD: Your goals for the month seem realistic and doable. :flowerforyou:

Jstmee: Welcome to a great group. Where are you from?:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: I am so happy that AAA got to your daughter quickly. What a nerve-wracking day for both of you.:flowerforyou:

Renny: Congratulations on the loose pants! Great NSV! :bigsmile: (For the newbies, NSV stands for Non Scale Victory.) You’re ahead of us on lights. We’ve got the boat done, but have to replace a string so we’ll be back down there today. The yard lights are next and I don’t know how far we’ll get with them. Then I get to do the inside of the house. We’re staging this carefully this year so we can get through the garage. We seem to have too much stuff.:grumble:

LindaS: You have had quite a time of it this year. I love your positive attitude and determination. I also appreciate the positive messages that Barbie shares.:flowerforyou:

Lesa: Welcome. Please share your location.:flowerforyou:

Kathy in IL: It is good to see you again. I hope things straighten out in your life and we’ll get to see more of you. I expect to log forever if I want to keep the weight off. The new habit I’ve learned is logging, because I’m not good at estimating how much I eat.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Michele in NC: I love knowing that Vince used the Y2K count down clock to count down to retirement. I’d forgotten about the Y2K hoopla. People sure were uptight about it. Cramps? TOM? At 58 I would have felt betrayed by my own body, and VERY surprised.:flowerforyou:

Barbara in SW Idaho: We don’t live on the boat, but I can see it from my house.:flowerforyou:

Viv: Sorry you had to spend money on glasses at Christmas. I hope they turn out to be worth it.:flowerforyou:

DH had a terrible insulin reaction last night and I had to call the paramedics again. This is the second time in only a few weeks, and also the second time in 42 years of marriage. Something different is going on. The change I know about is that he’s lost weight and been much more active lately. DH is going to abandon his dosage guide from the doctor and adjust his dosages based on frequent monitoring of blood sugar levels for now. Today we “get” to work on the boat lighting again. :grumble: Hopefully we’ll get that done and be able to move on to the next thing.:tongue::laugh:

Katla in “beautifully moist” NW Oregon

December goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow
    2. Focus on fitness: cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink at least 3 glasses of water every day
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Have decided that Dec. goal is to log food again, starting today. I've gotten away from recording food so maybe this will help put me back on track and I'll stop pretending I can just guess. Also a goal: to hit the exercise class and yoga more often..........since I hurt my foot, those activities have been much less.

Much calmer today, after yesterday's stress. Had a good night's sleep, even though I slept on the sofa---fell asleep during a football game and DH decided I looked comfortable enough.

Did ladies exercise this am; there were only about 5 of us today. Going to try and make sweet potato soup later.

Katla..........glad your DH is OK once more. I think his plan to regulate based on blood sugar readings is worth a try; best of luck with it.

Welcome newbies, stick around, and please give us some indication where you are from if you don't mind doing so.
    Hello to everyone!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,281 Member
    Options
    Phew - back from a big shop at our local hypermarket. The stuff did all go in the already crammed freezers!:noway: :laugh:

I am now lying down with a cup of tea. I also had a small slice of Allbran loaf I made this morning from a recipe in our paper. Just to check it out.:tongue: The rest has gone in the freezer for later. It was the easiest thing in the world! It comes from a part of the paper called Family, where people can share their old recipes. They are always really simple and nostalgic. This one was submitted by the daughter of a mother who could not cook, but one day suprised them all by copying it off the back of the cereal packet. I noticed it because we have a packet of Allbran languishing in the larder because DH has stopped eating it. It was very tasty anyway:bigsmile: .

It is always great to notice how much easier a big shop is now that I am fitter. I used to need the trolley to prop me up!

Right now my beets are baking in the oven and I shall have them for lunch tomorrow and the next day with mixed grains, cauliflower and salad bits. Philly light as well. Yummy!:love:

I bought pork sausagemeat to make stuffing for Christmas tomorrow. Will freeze it in balls. Also an orange to make the cranberry sauce. Things are coming along nicely!:laugh: :laugh: But I still haven't picked my greenery for my wreath.:ohwell: Tomorrow afternoon will have to do. Got to put my oasis in the bath tonight!

Sylvia - we have a rule in our house that if either of us wants to watch a programme that the other isn't keen on, then we have to go to another room to watch it, not in the living room. We have tvs in our bedroom and DH's study/playroom. That would be his football/rugby and my chef programmes or something very sentimental or silly that DH doesn't like. He is banned more often than I am!:laugh: :wink: :tongue:
    At the moment his football team, that he goes all the way to North London to watch, is doing very badly. :cry: I am, of course very sympathetic. :yawn: :huh: :tongue:

Yoga in the morning, then a big cook up of ragu, then a trawl round the lanes for greenery then dinner and off to my first WI meeting. I have lived in the village for 3 years and have meant to go to this nationwide women's club evety month and never got there, but this time I have promised! So I will go, bearing my wreath materials and hope to come home with a finished product!:flowerforyou:

Love to all. I feel another cup of tea coming on!

Heather UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,957 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Katla, a living tree for Christmas that can live in your yard the rest of the year sounds like such a wise choice…..it makes sense to reduce dosage with your DH’s weight loss and increased activity.

:bigsmile: Meg, sweet potato biscuits sound delicious

:heart: Jodios, I’ll be thinking of you as you support your DD during this difficult time. I look forward to your return to us and DD’s return to school.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, you are wise to stay home from the Y, but I know you missed doing your exercise.

:flowerforyou: Gail, good idea to take time for a walk with a friend in the midst of all that yard work.

Karen from MA, welcome…this group of women helped me reinvent my life….I wish the same for you.

:flowerforyou: Grandmallie, walking away from a stressful situation is a wise choice.

:flowerforyou: Pat, I spent four winters in Minnesota when I was in college……I remember how cold it was.

:flowerforyou: Sue in SD, staying with the same goals during a time of travel is a great idea.

:flowerforyou: Jstmee, starting slow worked for me.

:flowerforyou: Joyce, after I lost 60 pounds and went from XL sweatshirts and t shirts to size small, I gave away so many favorite shirts from so many wonderful vacations……I cried when I gave them away.:brokenheart:

:flowerforyou: Renny, I’ve learned a lot from “Thin for Life”………we have snow predicted here and it causes trouble on the roads primarily because there are so many people who moved here from southern California.

:flowerforyou: Linda S., sorry to hear about the trouble with your thumbs…..”Act the way I want to feel” comes from Gretchen Rubin’s book “The Happiness Project”….when I read something I like, I adopt it as my own.

:flowerforyou: Lesa, I’m glad Vicki directed you to us…..welcome….I hope you’ll keep coming back and become part of our supportive community

:flowerforyou: Kathy in IL, your goals sound like just what you need to survive any rough spot or challenge….never give up

:flowerforyou: Susan, another meditation that I read says “Just for today I will have a plan….it will save me from two pests, hurry and indecision……it sounds like you have a plan for your days….I wish you well ….I created my own weight training routine with the help of “Strong Women Stay Young” (a book) and now do my routine while watching a favorite TV show. I also walk like they do on the Leslie Sansone videos but do the walking while watching my own choices on TV.

:flowerforyou: Sylvia, the extra sodium will go away….the calories from the croutons, bacon, and dressing will go right to your hips…..you made great choices.

:bigsmile: arbara, good to see you……are you still line dancing? What’s your favorite dance right now?

:flowerforyou: Smeltzer, are you Harriet and Samson and Solomon the beautiful cats in the picture?

:flowerforyou: Viv, I’ve ignored needing new glasses because of the expense.

:flowerforyou: Cindy, I had to start a statin drug about 10 years ago and it upset me a lot until I accepted that there could be worse things wrong with me and I should be grateful that there was a drug to help improve my health and my chances for longevity.

:flowerforyou: Yanniejannie, every time I stop logging food and exercise, I’m sorry
    paying strict attention has worked for me and now I consider it an essential……..I may skip a day every week or two, but no more often than that.

:bigsmile: Heather, I enjoy reading about your carefully organized planning and preparations for you holiday meals and decorations

:flowerforyou: Yesterday was the second time I fixed latkes for Hanukkah this year. Jake loves them (so do I but not as much as he does). They are a lot of work and a lot of calories. I’ll fix them one more time during the eight day holiday. I entered the ingredients into the MFP recipe calculator and found that what we have for each of us is over 1000 calories and very filling. If I were doing my former level of exercise ( four hours of dog walking, line dance class, weight training,) I could probably be under calories for the day but with only short dog walks, it puts me way over. Today I’ll be eating much lighter and then latkes again tomorrow.

:flowerforyou: In a few minutes we’re taking Brandy and Sasha to the vet for their yearly check-up. They love everyone at the vet’s office and everybody there loves them so it will be a pleasant event.

125348s4vbqulv93.gif 125347fa3fzrtcfh.gif 2580462w1svqu6w9j.gif 1853435iv8ava9ssr.gif 122224dr63dp166s.gif 831205vdoh1jcrak.gif

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Ladies!

I am miserable! Three Thanksgiving dinners are way too many! Of course, last night's dinner consisted of baked walleye, which was absolutely awesome, and I ate three whole filets! I haven't even been able to take last night's meds because I just can't. So, for today, it is yogurt and soup.

It is cold and getting colder as the week progresses By the weekend it will be in the minus numbers. I want to go home! I know, quit whining and go do something!

I am using Bill's computer, and I can't figure it out, it is driving me crazy! I can't even figure out where the notebook device is so I can respond to all of your posts!

Take care and be well! I will check back in later!

Pat (Phoo)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy mon.Can`t believe we are on page 4 and it`s only dec 2.How awesome.
    Did my wt and up 1lb,not bad for the holidays,and know it`s probably water wt.
    My goals-healthy eating
    exercise when I can due to pain
    don`t stress about the holidays
    drink more water.
    HUGS
    jane
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Katla is your husbands diabetes handled by you family doc or an endocrinologist? Hope he is better.

Woke up this morning with a sore throat. Still haven't decided whether if it is just a dry throat from sleeping or an actual sore throat. Well today is the day whether I see whether cutting out my Colace allows me to go without having this 3 hour period of cramping and bowel movements right after lunch. It really puts a 'cramp' in my day for that interruption.

Joyce, Indiana