Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Buried Alive

2»

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Not certain if this is what neandermagnon is referring to, but I suffer from sleep paralysis.

Nah, I don't think that's what she's talking about. I've heard of it, too, but also can't remember the name. In sleep paralysis you're sleeping but you appear to be sleeping, not dead.

I've had my fair share of sleep paralysis. F***ing terrifying stuff.
    Oh no, I'm awake for mine and completely aware of my surroundings. And mine has lasted for hours at times. I've even had episodes where I couldn't breathe for extended periods of time, or I could only breathe very shallow breaths or my breathing was slowed. I've also had the episodes like you where I had auditory and visual hallucinations. THAT was awful.

it's not sleep paralysis... I've had that a few times (including with the hallucinations). But this is a totally different condition, I forgot the name of it though!! The only thing I can remember is that it it's related to narcolepsy, but instead of just falling asleep the person falls into a death-like state.

Sleep paralysis isn't fun though....first time it happened I thought I was dead or dying....
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    This so rarely happens in the industrialized world that I wouldn't really spend too much time worrying about it. There are greater and far more common threats to deal with. I find it humorous that people spend so much time worrying about things that are like a gazillion to one odds.

it makes for interesting conversations though.....
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Not certain if this is what neandermagnon is referring to, but I suffer from sleep paralysis.

Nah, I don't think that's what she's talking about. I've heard of it, too, but also can't remember the name. In sleep paralysis you're sleeping but you appear to be sleeping, not dead.

Oh no, I'm awake for mine and completely aware of my surroundings. And mine has lasted for hours at times. I've even had episodes where I couldn't breathe for extended periods of time, or I could only breathe very shallow breaths or my breathing was slowed. I've also had the episodes like you where I had auditory and visual hallucinations. THAT was awful.

Yes, that's exactly what sleep paralysis is! You're awake and aware but your body is technically still sleeping. Hallucinations and trouble breathing is part of the phenomenon. One time I had one I had fallen asleep in a chair. I could hear my roommate typing in the other room. I thought I was suffocating to death and kept calling out to him but he wouldn't answer. The last time it happened I was hallucinating that someone was sitting on my chest (massive dude in a mask... in broad daylight... wtf). Again, I was screaming for my roommate as he continued to play FIFA in the living room and wouldn't save me :(

What neandermagnon is talking about is a state where your body appears to be dead, not one where your body is still in a sleep-like state. What I meant is that if you're in a state of sleep paralysis your body appears to be sleeping, NOT dead.

I did a bit of research to figure out what was going on with me after several episodes (I've been diagnosed, through a sleep study, with a bunch of REM issues, so that's what causes mine). Read up on it:
    http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/paralysis.html
    http://www.thesleepparalysisproject.org/about-sleep-paralysis/symptoms/
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    This so rarely happens in the industrialized world that I wouldn't really spend too much time worrying about it. There are greater and far more common threats to deal with. I find it humorous that people spend so much time worrying about things that are like a gazillion to one odds.

it makes for interesting conversations though.....

Very true!
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member

Yes, that's exactly what sleep paralysis is! You're awake and aware but your body is technically still sleeping. Hallucinations and trouble breathing is part of the phenomenon. One time I had one I had fallen asleep in a chair. I could hear my roommate typing in the other room. I thought I was suffocating to death and kept calling out to him but he wouldn't answer. The last time it happened I was hallucinating that someone was sitting on my chest (massive dude in a mask... in broad daylight... wtf). Again, I was screaming for my roommate as he continued to play FIFA in the living room and wouldn't save me :(

What neandermagnon is talking about is a state where your body appears to be dead, not one where your body is still in a sleep-like state. What I meant is that if you're in a state of sleep paralysis your body appears to be sleeping, NOT dead.

I did a bit of research to figure out what was going on with me after several episodes (I've been diagnosed, through a sleep study, with a bunch of REM issues, so that's what causes mine). Read up on it:
    http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/paralysis.html
    http://www.thesleepparalysisproject.org/about-sleep-paralysis/symptoms/
    I'm going to a doctor for the first time in three years this week. This stuff was never explained to me, nor did I ever bother to research it. I just figured if it wasn't killing me, I was okay. Thanks doll.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    A good reason to request decapitation before burial.