Kettlebell Swings! Are you up for the challenge?

Options
Looking for Kettlebell Swingers that would like to join me in the 10x10 x10 challenge.
That means 10 sets of 10 swings at the heaviest weight you can manage for 10 days.

Are you in?

I am doing 12 + 16kg's (5 sets of each)

Replies

• awomaame25
    awomaame25 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i'm in... been swinging every other day
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'll play.
  • fitgal1980
    fitgal1980 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I'm in, I just got new 25 and 30 lb bells for my bday.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I did a kettlebell workout yesterday.
  • Moriarty21
    Options
    Fabulous, great to have so many joining. I did mine this morning (Monday - Australia)
    10 x 5 x 12kg with 30secs rest in between
    10 x5 x 16kg - 30secs rest

my aim is to finish with 10x10x16kg
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am in!!! I am recovering from a shoulder injury so mine is a light 8 pounder but it's what I can do at this time!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Options
    Are we going to update this thread? :wink:
    Or should we have a group in the group section?

Either way works for me.
  • sydneyplainjane
    sydneyplainjane Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    What's a good starting weight for a beginner? Coincidentally, I just bought a 10 pound kettlebell this morning, even before I saw this thread. When I got it, though, I was thinking about doing more than just swings, so I bought something I could lift with one arm. But, for swings, maybe I should be using a higher weight?
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'll play. Maybe I'll be able to use the 45lb for the entire workout by the last day :) currently my workouts start with the 45 but have to downgrade half way through to the 35 because, well, its freakin' heavy lol.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    What's a good starting weight for a beginner? Coincidentally, I just bought a 10 pound kettlebell this morning, even before I saw this thread. When I got it, though, I was thinking about doing more than just swings, so I bought something I could lift with one arm. But, for swings, maybe I should be using a higher weight?

I've seen lots of books and websites recommend 12-18lbs to start for women. When I started, I got a 20 lb, for 2-hand swings I suspect 10 lbs will be too light...
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i'm in, been looking for a reason to dust off the ol kettlebell :)
  • lindyrbtsn
    lindyrbtsn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to find this thread. I bought 5, 10, and 15 lb kettlebells a few days ago (one of each).
    So now I need to learn what kettlebell SWINGS are -- and then do them. I'm in !
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

My first was 18lbs. then I bought a 26 for swings and deadlifts and such, but I had been lifting for a while.

Here is a little video about selecting a kettlebell. Let me know if it doesn't play or has you logged in as me on the site or something.
    http://livefitrevolution.org/?p=190257
  • Booksandbeaches
    Options
  • Fabfitgirl5
    Fabfitgirl5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm in, although I am late, I will start this pm and I have a 15lb kettle bell. Lets see if this, along with my T25 gets my waits and abs and arm in better shape!
  • Moriarty21
    Options
    Day 2 done and dusted, I managed 6 sets with 16kg and 4 sets with 12kg, so should be able to do all sets with the heavy bell at the end of the challenge.

Anyone looking for excellent resource material on Kettlebell Training, free YT clips etc I'd encourage you to check out Tracey Reifkind - her resources are very helpful, motivating and professional.

She also has a blog which tells her inspirational story and more training tips etc.
  • 1LoveChips
    1LoveChips Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Am I too late to join? What do "swings" do for you? Not entirely sure what the benefits of the exercise are?

And is it one KB one arm / one KB two arms?
  • 1LoveChips
    1LoveChips Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    She sounds amazing!
  • lindyrbtsn
    lindyrbtsn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm new to kettlebells, so I'm watching videos and trying to get the correct form from the beginning.
    Using 10 lb bell. Did 10 swings on day 1 and 10 swings on day 2, so I'm on track. :)

I watched some YouTube videos with Ryan Raw -- very helpful.
    My dvd's came yesterday, so I'll be watching those soon. They are two different trainers.
    Lots of variety for learning, but the messages are consistent. I like that!