January 1st

Options
I imagine this website is going to be bombarded with newbies come January 1st. For those people that have been on here longer than a year--what is your take on people coming/going?

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I can't wait.

ETA: though the derp has already started.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Most of us hope that these people actually stick to it (although the statistics aren't in their favor). The forums get worse for about two months. Lots of the same questions over and over and over again. Most won't take the advice that is offered. I tend to avoid the forums for a few months.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how many come and go at almost random intervals. As for those who start on Jan 1, they're almost lost before they start. To wait for a magic date means that they're likely not ready and don't have the fire to change. Some will but most will be gone by Valentines Day. PS Monday starters have a similar failure rate
  • TheSaoirseTree
    TheSaoirseTree Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like to see new people, but it's sad to think of how many usually give up before too long.

It's the same way at the gym. I started going right after Christmas 2012 and it was much busier at that time. Now, I just see the same 10 or so people when I'm there. I'm looking forward to seeing some new faces there, just as long as they're not using the equipment that I need!
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have been on here almost 2 years and am nowhere close to where I want to be. A pregnancy early on last year set me back some ;)
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm hopeful people stick with it. I actually just woke up one day in late July and knew I had to change myself. I didn't have a start date. (It was actually a Wednesday morning). I love these forums--especially the success stories.
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I welcome new people and the same questions over and over again. You never know when you are going to read something new in the responses and can apply it to your own life. I have been maintaining for a year and a half, and it is a lot of work, so I really appreciate any and all support.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good thing. If 20% of them stay and actually reach their goals, it's still a win in my book.

We all start somewhere.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I think it maybe seeing why people were a bit cranky when I asked silly questions or did silly things when I first started lol I get sick of seeing the samething 5x a day lol
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    It's been quite a long while since I saw a "what counts as water?" Thread.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Hopeful, pessimistic, a little gassy...
    tumblr_inline_mx2bi3Y5Gi1r62ljp.gif
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It's been quite a long while since I saw a "what counts as water?" Thread.

^ That. I'm almost giddy with anticipation. While I truly wish those that come in with a serious attitude the best, I wish the rest would JSF in the nicest possible way. *hugs*
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of nice that we have an annual reminder to get ourselves in check. Priorities are important and I'm glad "self" is one for so many people. Then again this is my first year here that I will be an observer of the resolutioners since last year I was one, so IDK how I'll feel watching them but last year I felt like I HAVE to stick it out seeing the criticisms of them. It motivated me, so I'm glad this site and it's members are so open as to share their thoughts in a way that highlights possible pitfalls so one may stay the course. At least that's how it worked for me.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good thing. If 20% of them stay and actually reach their goals, it's still a win in my book.

We all start somewhere.

Well said. :drinker:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Well, I had decided to lose weight for my 2011 New Years Resolution. I joined on January 2nd 2011. I'm still here. Best part of it is I remember being at the gym that February on the ellipticals. My playlist ended so I could here everything. Somebody comes over and talks to the guy next to me and talks about how the gym is full of "New Years Fakers" and he can't wait until they all quit. Well I still work out 6 days a week and I don't ever see that d-bag there so pbbbbbtt.:laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

my+emotions.gif
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    h181658F6
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

my+emotions.gif

happy-troy.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

my+emotions.gif

happy-troy.gif

GIF-stefon-23812093-500-258.gif
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    This will be my first New Years on mfp. I myself was supposed to start January 2013 and it never happened, come February and I download mfp thinking I was ready, but still wasn't lol. Finally woke up on July 1 ready to take control of my life now I'm excited for the new year so I can set new goals..... Sexy 2014 here I come.