You reared your ugly face

Options
Dear month-long plateau - I wish you would take your ugly face elsewhere. I have business to get down to, and your killing my success!

I need ideas to kick this plateau. I have been about 197 for the last month (a little longer.) I tried increasing my calories because my BMR was calculated at 1710 (meaning before, I wasnt eating enough). I have eaten above my BMR for a few weeks now and simply maintained.

I burn 300-400 calories a day on cardio and circuit training. my body fat percentage went from 36.6% to 36.5%. That is frustrating as heck... HELP ME! I cant cut calories and drop below my BMR right? Because that will put my body into starvation mode?

I just need a few ideas... Because im going crazy trying to figure it out.

Replies

• rosemary98
    Options
    I am no expert in the fitness realm...but maybe not eat your exercise calories back. I heard they can be really inaccurate. be true to your diet...measure everything...all that stuff. above all, don't get discouraged. sorry, that is all I have.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau, took a three day vacation during which I ate everything in sight, came home, got back on the bandwagon, and switched from circuit training to jogging, and started losing again.

my advice: switch it up! give your body something new to adjust to. :)
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    You're probably eating more calories than you think or overestimating your burn.

Weigh and measure everything.

Where are you getting the info for your exercise? Some of the entries in the MFP database are too high. Don't eat them all back, only if you are hungry.

Change your exercise. My body adapts to whatever I do over time.

Change your food. Try a protein shake if you don't usually eat them. Do something different.

Drink water!!
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Try switching up your routine. Tabadas doing amazing things for your body!! add some weight training.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau then wound up gaining.... adding insult to injury. What I did was switch up my exercise routine. I was going heavy on the weights 4x a week. I am now going cardio heavy and still doing weights on 3x a week. I dropped two pounds. I also played around with my calories. I found that when I really started exercising a lot I was starving. For me its all about paying attention to my body. I also started taking measurements so I can also use that as a gauge of my success,, not just the scale. Good Luck keep at it and you will ride out this plateau!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Eating below your BMR does not cause starvation mode or anything else. It's a myth based on misunderstanding the concepts. Yes, losing 2 lbs/week does show greater lean body mass reduction in % than losing 1 lb/week, in the lab. If you're not losing anything and it's not due to water issues, I think you can rule out that you're eating at an unhealthily large deficit.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Give this a read, it's about logging accuracy and weighing your food.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Dear month-long plateau - I wish you would take your ugly face elsewhere. I have business to get down to, and your killing my success!

I need ideas to kick this plateau. I have been about 197 for the last month (a little longer.) I tried increasing my calories because my BMR was calculated at 1710 (meaning before, I wasnt eating enough). I have eaten above my BMR for a few weeks now and simply maintained.

I burn 300-400 calories a day on cardio and circuit training. my body fat percentage went from 36.6% to 36.5%. That is frustrating as heck... HELP ME! I cant cut calories and drop below my BMR right? Because that will put my body into starvation mode?

I just need a few ideas... Because im going crazy trying to figure it out.

From looking at your diary, I would say your sodium intake on some days is between 3000 and and over 4000 mg. I would aim to decrease sodium to 1500 - 2000 mg per day.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    So basically, eating more calories didn't work. Hmmm. Gosh, I wonder what it is then? :huh:
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I was in a month long plateau last month also . I just made sure to drink more water,added exercises while at work , small stuff like squats and wall pushups modified jumping jacks ...anything I can do to move while at work every few hours . but it still took a month for my weight to start moving ..oh yea, and I made sure my calories were up to 1200 net at least .. I had been getting below that by not paying attention to the net value .

Good luck and congrats on being below 200 !
  • Siansonea
    Options
    Eating below your BMR does not cause starvation mode or anything else. It's a myth based on misunderstanding the concepts. Yes, losing 2 lbs/week does show greater lean body mass reduction in % than losing 1 lb/week, in the lab. If you're not losing anything and it's not due to water issues, I think you can rule out that you're eating at an unhealthily large deficit.

It's really getting tiresome, isn't it? All of the people who have been sent down the primrose path by the people giving out damaging advice to eat MORE calories when they're not losing weight. "Don't eat below your BMR!" "You'll go into Starvation Mode!" "You'll lose LEAN BODY MASS!!!1111!!!!" I honestly think that people want to see others fail, otherwise they would be urging them to get their math in order, eat at a deficit, and enjoy steady weight loss. But people are so worried about all of these spurious anecdotal problems that they'll sacrifice their GOAL to avoid them. :huh:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Bodymedia - best thing ever that FINALLY broke me out of my plateau. Considering what I have changed since getting, I guess you would calculate your TDEE and minus 500 calories, eat that.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about starvation mode. If you're eating at LEAST 1200, you're probably fine. Some people aren't fine on 1200 though, so it all depends on your body.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you are either not estimating calories correctly or you are overestimating your burns...
  • Siansonea
    Options
    Don't worry about starvation mode. If you're eating at LEAST 1200, you're probably fine. Some people aren't fine on 1200 though, so it all depends on your body.

Plus "starvation mode" isn't a thing that overweight people experience. There's that. :huh:
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Plus "starvation mode" isn't a thing that overweight people experience. There's that. :huh:

Yeah, I try not to say that it isn't a thing to avoid the flamers, but I'm aware :flowerforyou:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    you are either not estimating calories correctly or you are overestimating your burns...

Yep.

OP, congratulations on the weight loss thus far.

From what you put in your diary, your exercise burns are very high. Both MFP and the machines over estimate. I know this because I recently bought a heart rate monitor and found out this truth. You either need to (1) take around 150 calories off of the MFP estimate or (2) take about 100 calories off the machine estimate or (3) don't eat ALL your exercise calories back or (4) purchase a heart rate monitor.

Also, make sure you measure are liquid foods and weight all solid foods.

I also advise you cut down on some of that sodium.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

This is true.
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You're probably eating more calories than you think or overestimating your burn.

Weigh and measure everything.

Where are you getting the info for your exercise? Some of the entries in the MFP database are too high. Don't eat them all back, only if you are hungry.

Change your exercise. My body adapts to whatever I do over time.

Change your food. Try a protein shake if you don't usually eat them. Do something different.

Drink water!!

^^^ Agree! You are either underestimating your calories consumed or over estimating your calories burned. Rather halve calories burned when recording it, MFP is notorious in being inaccurate. Maybe swap in some HIIT style cardio instead of steady state cardio. Also are you taking your measurements?? I've experienced no change in weight but had a decrease in measurements. Definitely weigh everything for a week, its eye opening!!

Good luck! :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I am no expert in the fitness realm...but maybe not eat your exercise calories back. I heard they can be really inaccurate. be true to your diet...measure everything...all that stuff. above all, don't get discouraged. sorry, that is all I have.

No and Yes. No to NOT eating your exercise calories back and yes to MFP and machines overestimating calories. Eat a portion of your exercise calories back too account for error or get a heart rate monitor if you want accuracy. :smile: