ketosis questions

I'm sorry but I'm just not sure where to put this question so I will start here and hope someone can help me.
I have been in urine ketosis for a few weeks or so now but I just got a blood meter and it will either register "lo" or 03 so I know blood wise I am not in ketosis but according to urine stick I am . Now I know you cannot compare apples to apples with this but what does this mean then if one says I am with the urine keto stick and the blood one says I'm not.

Also I read a tidbit one day that says I cannot lose weight possibly because im eating too much fat so my body is not burning the fat because it does not need to so therefore I am not losing weight, can any one expound on this?

Replies

• can someone tell me how to set this so I can see others that reply becaue I cannot see anything from my page. I cannot see any feeds at all and I have this set to public so what do I need to do.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member

Also I read a tidbit one day that says I cannot lose weight possibly because im eating too much fat so my body is not burning the fat because it does not need to so therefore I am not losing weight, can any one expound on this?

Hopefully, I can expound.

It is utter rubbish.

Calorie deficit is the thing that you need to lose weight. I eat loads of dietary fat and have lost 3 stone since June.

Atkins/ketosis seems to work only for the short term. I would suggest you learn about proper nutrition, eat plenty of beautiful and tasty food, take some exercise and feel much better about yourself.

• Also I read a tidbit one day that says I cannot lose weight possibly because im eating too much fat so my body is not burning the fat because it does not need to so therefore I am not losing weight, can any one expound on this?

Hopefully, I can expound.

It is utter rubbish.

Calorie deficit is the thing that you need to lose weight. I eat loads of dietary fat and have lost 3 stone since June.

Atkins/ketosis seems to work only for the short term. I would suggest you learn about proper nutrition, eat plenty of beautiful and tasty food, take some exercise and feel much better about yourself.

^ This. Unfortunately all these diets are good for are losing some temporary water weight.
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    So you're saying I've lost 58 lbs of temporary water weight? Ok...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    The urine stix are notoriously inaccurate. If you're going to believe one of them, believe the blood test.
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    can someone tell me how to set this so I can see others that reply becaue I cannot see anything from my page. I cannot see any feeds at all and I have this set to public so what do I need to do.

The "News Feed" on your front page comes from any updates you post, as well as any of your MFP "friends"

Check out the "Introduce Yourself" message board and look out for people with similar age and goals & add them as friends. You can also have a look in the "Groups" section to find some groups that meet your needs
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    can someone tell me how to set this so I can see others that reply becaue I cannot see anything from my page. I cannot see any feeds at all and I have this set to public so what do I need to do.

The "News Feed" on your front page comes from any updates you post, as well as any of your MFP "friends"

Check out the "Introduce Yourself" message board and look out for people with similar age and goals & add them as friends. You can also have a look in the "Groups" section to find some groups that meet your needs

^This and unfortunately, MFP doesn't inform you when someone replies to your posts. I wish it did.
  • Livinz
    Livinz Posts: 9 Member
    I suggest reading up on Ketosis in more detail. If your ketostix are showing your in ketosis that just means you have a large amount of urinary ketones being expelled from your body. Trust the blood meter - it's more accurate. If it's not showing your in ketosis yet drop your carbs more (to maybe 5% - include lots of green leafy veggies still but perhaps leave the berries and fruit out of your diet for a few weeks until you become keto adapted). Try to steer clear of sweeteners (xylotol and stevia) as these can still push you out of ketosis if you end up having an insulin response to them.

I'm also working on this! Ketosis with the right amount of knowledge is actually a very easy way to lose weight, have great energy levels and not feel hungry. Not to mention deliciousness - calories aren't everything! You should be eating at least your BMR to lose weight, and more if you exercise. I eat around 2000 cal per day.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    The few days that are complete in your diary have you at around 2000 calories. At your age, depending on your weight and level of activity, you may not be creating a large enough deficit for weight loss. I can't say anything about ketosis, but if you're having trouble losing weight, you may need to adjust your calorie intake and/or activity level.
  • tonydepalma
    tonydepalma Posts: 15 Member
    Calories in Calories out is a total myth. Exercise burring calories or helping to lose weight also it. Google Gary Taubes he's studied our obesity epidemic he thinks the energy in energy out is laughable. it's about insulin period. Low fat diets made us a fatso nation.Watch this guys lectures he's dead on. If I eat carbs I go to my grave early and abandon my children. i love to workout but its what we eat not exercise that loses weight.