Are Panko breadcrumbs bad?

Options
So I have decided to have chicken for my lunch as a way to add more protein to my diet, but plain old chicken breast is just boring to me and I know I won't stick with eating it everyday if its just plain.

So I went to Sobey's and bought Kikkoman's Panko "breadcrumbs" and baked my chicken with the breadcrumbs.

The ingredients are: Wheat flour, Contains 2% or less of each of the following sugar,yeast,soybean oil and salt.

If I eat this chicken 4 days a week with these breadcrumbs on it, do you think it will stall my weight loss/fat loss?

Any ideas on how to make chicken breast taste better other then the breadcrumbs?

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I love them but I don't label any foods as 'bad' unless I'm allergic or they're just not worth their calories to me.

I think chicken is good off the grill, too. Also, pounding it thin and baking it into lemon chicken or sauteeing it into picatta or marsala is good, too. Or curry chicken on the stove top.

Life's too short to eat the same foods daily. Keep experimenting and don't get stuck on chicken, either.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    As long as you are logging the breadcrumbs and staying within your calorie goal then your weight loss should contiue.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    define "bad", panko are tasty. if they don't throw you over on calories for the day, you're fine.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love them but I don't label any foods as 'bad' unless I'm allergic or they're just not worth their calories to me.

I think chicken is good off the grill, too. Also, pounding it thin and baking it into lemon chicken or sauteeing it into picatta or marsala is good, too. Or curry chicken on the stove top.

Life's too short to eat the same foods daily. Keep experimenting and don't get stuck on chicken, either.

I'm just learning how to cook, so it's kind of hard for me to come up with new ideas.
    But thanks for the reply! :)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    If you like them, eat them. Other ways to make chicken breasts more interesting: salt, pepper, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, lemon, rosemary, basil, parsley, ginger, curry, garlic. Not all at once, mind you...
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite cookbooks (all chicken breast!)
    http://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Breasts-Great-Taste-Low/dp/078354555X
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    When my Panko gets bad I spank it onto pork chops too :wink:
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The problem is not the panko crumbs, but the fact that they soak up loads of oil when you fry them... and they're not very nice if you don't fry them in oil (in my opinion). So if you experiment and find a way to bake them without soaking up too much greasy stuff, you're onto a winner...
  • stefaniemazz
    Options
    define "bad", panko are tasty. if they don't throw you over on calories for the day, you're fine.

Well people say "Wheat Flour" is a bad carb because it's a simple carb and it will eventually make me gain weight. is that true?
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Panko crumbs can be baked, but they're best if you toast them in a dry pan or in the oven first. Season the crumbs with whatever pleases you - garlic salt and pepper is a quick yummy fix. A little parmesan cheese is great for a few calories too. Dip your chicken bits into a little egg white, then press into the seasoned crumbs. Bake it on a wire rack over a cookie sheet at a high temp - about 400F.

Another low-cal way to get good flavor onto your chicken breasts is to smash/grind/mince/blend fresh herbs and garlic with salt and pepper to make a puree and smear it on your chicken before cooking. Google some recipes for dry and wet rubs. Be brave and experiment. :)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    there are no bad foods. if you like it...its a good food. stay in calorie deficit, you will lose weight. now...there ARE foods that are more nutritious than others, but that's a different topic. Panko is a perfectly good choice, especially since you aren't sitting down and eating a bowl full of it, right? A couple of tablespoons worth on your chicken is tasty and good for you.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Well people say "Wheat Flour" is a bad carb because it's a simple carb and it will eventually make me gain weight. is that true?

No. As long as you're logging your food correctly and staying within your calorie goals, you should be fine.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

There is no such thing as a bad carb. Short of having a medical condition, it's calories in vs out.
  • stefaniemazz
    Options
    there are no bad foods. if you like it...its a good food. stay in calorie deficit, you will lose weight. now...there ARE foods that are more nutritious than others, but that's a different topic. Panko is a perfectly good choice, especially since you aren't sitting down and eating a bowl full of it, right? A couple of tablespoons worth on your chicken is tasty and good for you.

I used 1/2 cup of Panko for 4 chicken breasts, so not much at all.

My fear is that if I'm eating a "simple" carb, then I won't lose weight
  • stefaniemazz
    Options

There is no such thing as a bad carb. Short of having a medical condition, it's calories in vs out.

Even if I don't want to look "skinny fat", my goal is not only to lose weight but to have a toned body, can eating simple carbs stop that from happening?
  • psuLemon
    Options

I used 1/2 cup of Panko for 4 chicken breasts, so not much at all.

My fear is that if I'm eating a "simple" carb, then I won't lose weight
    Just eliminate the fear. If you want to worry about something, it should be getting adequate protein and weight training.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I hope not....I used those last night.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Even if I don't want to look "skinny fat", my goal is not only to lose weight but to have a toned body, can eating simple carbs stop that from happening?

Being fit and toned is about body composition. At this point, it's not just about weight loss, it's about having low body fat and enough lean body mass to give you that defined look.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I'm just learning how to cook, so it's kind of hard for me to come up with new ideas.
    But thanks for the reply! :)

Well, I gave you five new chicken ideas! :smile: My favorite 'cookbook' is the internet. Find sites with recipes with user reviews and stick to recipes that have dozens if not hundreds of positive user reviews. Put in 'chicken' and you're off, or 'chicken and panko' or 'lemon chicken' or whatever!
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

This.

My husband likes his marinated in Italian dressing.

I like using a variety of seasonings to keep things interesting (lemon pepper, garlic salt, italian blend, rotisserie chicken seasoning, blackening spice...etc...). Just wander up and down the spice aisle at your local grocery store. I'm sure you'll find some that interest you!