Are Panko breadcrumbs bad?

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Why do you have to eat it four times a week? Sounds like it'll get boring.

When you lose weight, pay attention to calories, not the specific foods you eat. Chicken is not a magical weight loss food. You can eat other things, too.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Why do you have to eat it four times a week? Sounds like it'll get boring.

When you lose weight, pay attention to calories, not the specific foods you eat. Chicken is not a magical weight loss food. You can eat other things, too.

Because I want to add more protein to my diet without adding too much sodium.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    define "bad", panko are tasty. if they don't throw you over on calories for the day, you're fine.

Well people say "Wheat Flour" is a bad carb because it's a simple carb and it will eventually make me gain weight. is that true?

depends on who you ask. i personally, don't subscribe to that theory. for me, it's all in moderation unless it makes me feel yucky. if it does, i don't eat it.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    I use ground oats (not the quick oatmeal kind, just the large flakes). It's not crunch like Panko, but for a general breaded coating it works really well.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Unless you have a medical condition, don't worry about your sodium intake too much. Just make sure you drink plenty of water, you'll be fine.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator

What does "cutting mean"? Sorry for all the questions, as you can see I need some advice on how to achieve the "toned" look.

Bulk - adding mass done with a calorie surplus
    Cut - losing mass done with a calorie deficit

This may sound stupid, but shouldn't I cut first and Bulk 2nd?

Most of the time yes... but to confirm, what is your current height and weight?
  • stefaniemazz

What does "cutting mean"? Sorry for all the questions, as you can see I need some advice on how to achieve the "toned" look.

I am 5'3, 130 pounds, my goal weight is 115 pounds.
  • psuLemon

I would cut first, but I wouldn't worry about the goal weight. What you see in the mirror is more important. So eat high protein and weight train and monitor progress as you lose.
  • stefaniemazz

I would cut first, but I wouldn't worry about the goal weight. What you see in the mirror is more important. So eat high protein and weight train and monitor progress as you lose.

Right now I am doing Focus T25 which is pretty Cardio heavy, so should I add weight training?
  • psuLemon

Right now I am doing Focus T25 which is pretty Cardio heavy, so should I add weight training?

I would. Maybe consider a program like Body Beast or P90X or X3 when it comes out.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    For chicken, I like to first coat the chicken breast in mustard (stone ground works best), and then roll it in crushed French fried onions. Its a great alternative to breadcrumbs.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    My favorite chicken....dice up a breast of chicken and brown it in a skillet (I don't use any oils). Add some fajita seasoning (zero calories) and when the chicken is just about done, add some Salsa and let it simmer for a few minutes (less than 5) then sprinkle about 1/8 cup of taco or pepper jack cheese. Turn it into the chicken until the cheese starts to melt then plate it! It's delish and not a calorie killer. I'm making it tonight!
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    When my Panko gets bad I spank it onto pork chops too :wink:

I died. Loudly.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    You can flavor chicken with almost anything.

You can marinade it with lemon juice, ginger and garlic and then grill it. You can use all kind of spices and herbs to make it savory even if you grill it or roast it every day:
    www.spicesinc.com/p-1161-the-41-best-chicken-spices-seasonings-and-rubs.aspx

You can put 2 thin slices of bacon in a pan and after a little fat goes of, you can cook the chicken in there (20 g of bacon won't hurt anyone and it would fit in most diet... unless you are eating under 1200-1300 calories).

You can braise chicken breast with a little mustard, lemon juice, honey and herbs and get a wondefull taste.

You can marinade chicken with the juice of any kind of citrics and get a wonderfull taste. I personally love orange marinade.

Only if you count the different spices and herbs that go along with chicken you get tons of different flavor.

Yoghurt marinades are also great.

You can replace panko with oats crumbles, corn flower, egg and milk batter (like french snitzel), and so on.

Don't get stuck in one ingredient, mix things up. There are little base ingredient.

Some are more high in calories, some are very low (herbs and species for example), but none is bad in a balanced diet and can be fitted in the daily calories.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    define "bad", panko are tasty. if they don't throw you over on calories for the day, you're fine.

Well people say "Wheat Flour" is a bad carb because it's a simple carb and it will eventually make me gain weight. is that true?

No. Not true.

Also, coat your chicken in some egg beaters then dip in panko, fry in it a pan sprayed with some olive oil and boom! Great chicken. But log your ingredients. You can use the recipe builder to do that, easy peasy.
  • Nor are there any "Bad" Kitteh's. As Merlin wanted me to post...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

no...

carbs are not evil and carbs do not make you fat..overeating makes you fat...just eat in a deficit and hit your carb macro/goal for the day and you will be fine....this assumes no underlying carb sensitivity or medical condition..
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    The problem is not the panko crumbs, but the fact that they soak up loads of oil when you fry them... and they're not very nice if you don't fry them in oil (in my opinion). So if you experiment and find a way to bake them without soaking up too much greasy stuff, you're onto a winner...

I found a great recipe for crunchy oven-baked chicken. It was crisp and golden and not fried. The secret was in the three separate plates of coatings: seasoned flour, then egg/Dijon mustard mix, then Panko bread crumbs mixed with paprika (there is the color!). You spray both sides with olive oil and bake on a rack set on top of a cookie sheet. They were delicious and fit into my calories.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

I would. Maybe consider a program like Body Beast or P90X or X3 when it comes out.

This. Or other strength training activity. What do you have available and what do you like to do?
    Consistency is more important than the actual program choice. Even the best program is useless if you don't do it. Even the worst program will get you there if you do it.

And I like blue cheese and masala paste with chicken. Or a nice mango chutney.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Barring a health condition, the only thing necessary for weight loss is to consume fewer calories than you burn. In moderation, NO food is "bad."