Fat Chance: Fructose 2.0 (Dr. Robert Lustig)

Options
Four years later and Lustig updates his Sugar: The Bitter Truth talk. If you weren't interested in what he had to say about sugar the first time there's no need to watch this video but I thought it was worthwhile.

Of note was the focus on leptin and his research on sugar and diabetes. Lustig claims that "26% of all diabetes in America today is due to sugar and sugar alone. Not due to obesity, not due to total calories, sugar and sugar alone". He claims his research on sugar shows causation and not just a correlation. It was an interesting talk.
Dr. Robert Lustig, UCSF Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, updates his very popular video "Sugar: The Bitter Truth." He argues that sugar and processed foods are driving the obesity epidemic, which in turn affects our endocrine system. Series: "UCSF Osher Center for Integrative Medicine presents Mini Medical School for the Public" [10/2013] [Health and Medicine]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceFyF9px20Y

And if you haven't read it yarwell but together an excellent sugar FAQ for MFP that answers the multitude of questions and concerns people have regarding sugar.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017237-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-faq

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    In, to check on later. Should be fun.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It's a no brainer that obesity does not CAUSE diabetes but is a symptom of the same disease. But posting here is a waste of your time and energy. It's totally lost on most people that what one eats affects health. If it's sold in the store it can't possibly be bad for us, because the government protects us and food manufacturers would never lie or work to make their food-like products as addictive as possible, because they aren't at all trying to sell as much as possible at all costs..... Ignorance is bliss.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's a no brainer that obesity does not CAUSE diabetes but is a symptom of the same disease. But posting here is a waste of your time and energy. It's totally lost on most people that what one eats affects health. If it's sold in the store it can't possibly be bad for us, because the government protects us and food manufacturers would never lie or work to make their food-like products as addictive as possible, because they aren't at all trying to sell as much as possible at all costs..... Ignorance is bliss.
    Actually, the reverse is true. Obesity is a major cause of diabetes. One of the main symptoms of diabetes is unexplained weight loss. The insulin problems are actually the symptoms of diabetes. The body stops being able to properly process sugar because you have diabetes, not the other way around. Does a cold make you sneeze, or does sneezing give you a cold?
  • Achrya
    Options

Paranoia is bliss.

Actually wait, it's probably pretty tiring.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Paranoia is bliss.

*snicker*
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

Indeed.

The FDA would never lie to us about anything out there. Drugs, food, you name it. If they say it's safe then it must be!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Paranoia is bliss.

Its nasty and wasteful comments such as yours that she is speaking of.

You just don't get it. One day you will. Can't stand sheeple. Blindly follow the status quo because someone said it is true.

I was brought up and raised to question everything and I am better off in doing so.
  • Nilasaurus
    Nilasaurus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Actually, the reverse is true. Obesity is a major cause of diabetes. One of the main symptoms of diabetes is unexplained weight loss. The insulin problems are actually the symptoms of diabetes. The body stops being able to properly process sugar because you have diabetes, not the other way around. Does a cold make you sneeze, or does sneezing give you a cold?

+1
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Moderation...

and you don't have to worry about either extreme.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    In for paranoia and the use of the word "sheeple".
  • Achrya
    Options

Paranoia is bliss.

You just don't get it. One day you will. Can't stand sheeple. Blindly follow the status quo because someone said it is true.

I was brought up and raised to question everything and I am better off in doing so.

If I was blindly following the pack I'd probably be riding the anti sugar/anti carb train, not drinking coffee and having pie for breakfast.

But please, tell me all about how I'm the one following along like a sheep. Tell me how much you know about me and what I do. I like a little humor with my breakfast. Enlighten me with your paleo wisdom.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    That's broscience.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    In for paranoia and the use of the word "sheeple".

In, just because everybody else is. And ya, I know how that sounds.....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Paranoia is bliss.

Says the person following the Paleo diet, lollercoaster
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Paranoia is bliss.

If I was blindly following the pack I'd probably be riding the anti sugar/anti carb train, not drinking coffee and having pie for breakfast.

But please, tell me all about how I'm the one following along like a sheep. Tell me how much you know about me and what I do. I like a little humor with my breakfast. Enlighten me with your paleo wisdom.

Calling the previous poster paranoid is pretty typical sheeple talk speaking up for the food manufacturers, FDA and other government agencies.

They don't care about YOU nor anyone else. They are out for the $$ only. I am disappointed that you don't see this and you know what I am referring to. If you don't.........you are even more clueless and lost than I think you are.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Paranoia is bliss.

If you've questioned sugar AND done your own research you would have found that Lustig uses SURVEY data (meaning just asking people instead of actually observing or testing in a controlled manner) spanning from 1989-1995 on children aged 2-17. The flaws in his data come from asking not observing, out of date and about children.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    That's broscience.

Yeah, Broscience by a licensed Endocrinologist.

Y'all are really becoming sickening.
This discussion has been closed.