noticing a trend

Options
12346»

Replies

• ZombieGeezUs
    Options

The point of this thread was to initiate a discussion. I don't know what other ulterior motive I would have. I am not Dr. Claw. Some women agree, some disagree and I see both sides.

Yes, the discussion was what I find irritating. You have the right to post it and get it started. These threads are predictable. At least several women will show up agreeing that women suck and are terrible to each other and you just can't be around them *****es.

It's an easy way to stereotype a group and it's considered "truth" but I don't believe it is. Some women can be emotionally/mentally cruel, some women can be physically cruel (child abuse, DV), and some men can be emotionally cruel and physically cruel. I don't include those people in my life and I'm not living in a bomb shelter with a couple stragglers from the genders. Most people are generally ok with the capacity to be cruel.

If it is that irritating, then why are you participating? Generalizations are everywhere. Hell, as a black man I see stupid generalizations all the time on the internet against my race. Know what I do? Move on.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Of course it's predictable that women will show up and day that women are mean and cruel, that doesn't make the women who say it mean or cruel. It's just their observation. I have been mean and catty to other females and I've had the same back at me. I've grown up and realized that being petty and mean does nothing for anyone. I grew out of junior high behavior in junior high. Unfortunately not all women have. Look at all the fat shaming and trolling that other women do to each other, it's pathetic and unnecessary. Sure it's an easy stereotype and it's one many females fall under because of how society raises them to okay their gender. Congrats to you for recognizing it and not wanting to be a part of it though.

No, I don't think the women saying it are mean and cruel. It actually bothers me on a much different level than that. It's almost a badge of honor to announce that you only have male friends because women are just so intolerable and since you only have male friends, you are clearly the exception to those insufferable females rule.

It's an easy stereotype that "boys will be boys" when they get into a fistfight at school. Yet women's special brand of cruelty makes us inferior to men and to enlightened women.

Anyone can learn kindness. It doesn't have to be taught by making generalizations that really don't apply so much. (Junior high politics-boys and girls-belongs in its own special realm of hell.)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Of course it's predictable that women will show up and day that women are mean and cruel, that doesn't make the women who say it mean or cruel. It's just their observation. I have been mean and catty to other females and I've had the same back at me. I've grown up and realized that being petty and mean does nothing for anyone. I grew out of junior high behavior in junior high. Unfortunately not all women have. Look at all the fat shaming and trolling that other women do to each other, it's pathetic and unnecessary. Sure it's an easy stereotype and it's one many females fall under because of how society raises them to okay their gender. Congrats to you for recognizing it and not wanting to be a part of it though.

No, I don't think the women saying it are mean and cruel. It actually bothers me on a much different level than that. It's almost a badge of honor to announce that you only have male friends because women are just so intolerable and since you only have male friends, you are clearly the exception to those insufferable females rule.

It's an easy stereotype that "boys will be boys" when they get into a fistfight at school. Yet women's special brand of cruelty makes us inferior to men and to enlightened women.

Anyone can learn kindness. It doesn't have to be taught by making generalizations that really don't apply so much. (Junior high politics-boys and girls-belongs in its own special realm of hell.)

Yes, exactly.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    "I only have male friends, because girls are attentionhores who crave all the male attention"

I am sorry, what?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

If it is that irritating, then why are you participating? Generalizations are everywhere. Hell, as a black man I see stupid generalizations all the time on the internet against my race. Know what I do? Move on.

Because I can be irritated and still want to be a dissenting voice to it. Discussion often includes dissension. There's plenty of topics I find more bothersome than this that I do move on from. But you being a black male who moves on from some generalizing discussions doesn't mean your generalizing discussions are not open to criticism or disagreement. :flowerforyou:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    ALL YOUR MENS ARE MINE.
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    "I only have male friends, because girls are attentionhores who crave all the male attention"

I am sorry, what?

Lolol I died when I read that
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options

Because I can be irritated and still want to be a dissenting voice to it. Discussion often includes dissension. There's plenty of topics I find more bothersome than this that I do move on from. But you being a black male who moves on from some generalizing discussions doesn't mean your generalizing discussions are not open to criticism or disagreement. :flowerforyou:

Oh, it is not big deal to me, criticize away. I asked if I was wrong. You are saying that I am, so I am not seeing a problem. I don't get butthurt easily.
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I misunderstood and I totally understand what you're saying.

• Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    True dat!
  • Cali_Chica
    Cali_Chica Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Before someone gets all huffy, this is just a very broad generalization.

Now, I have noticed that women spit out far more venom towards each other than men when it comes to fitness. Well....actually, when it comes to anything. Am I wrong in seeing that?

It's called emotional bullying. You have to be emotionally intelligent to do it. And women are more developed in this area than men are IMO.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to provide a brief explanation for locking this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

4. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals
    No derogatory references to sex, gender, weight, body-type, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.