protein shake Loose or gain weight pls help

Options

Replies

• suprzonic
    suprzonic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of that brand, and just looked it up. Commercial protein drinks can contain potentially unsafe levels of heavy metals and other harmful substances. I saw three alerts for that brand. Web MD and Leanitup.com report it has 4 unsafe metals in it. The folks at http://forum.bodybuilding.com/ say that Costco have removed it from it's shelves .

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125028961

In 2010 - "It appears that Costco is taking a precautionary position regarding Consumers Report's finding higher amounts of lead, cadmium and arsenic in their regular muscle milk powder and liquid shakes, by removing for sale Muscle Milk's Chocolate Light Shakes from their inventory. Costco is in the process of having several labs test this product to determine its safety due to the fact that it wasn't included in Consumer Report's assay of these protein formulas. So far, Costco's findings are inconclusive but at this time it appears that drinking three or more per day is not advisable."

In 2011 - the manufacturer said their "independent" testing showed, due to the metal content - you can safely have 2 serves a day (so more than 2 is harmful?) I'd leave it alone personally.

Organic protein powder from health food shops may be the way to go. You have to scoop it yourself out of a barrell. Cheaper too.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    IT's CAllED MUscle mILk because it builds mUscle! Not fat.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My experience - just watch your macros and calorie deficit and you will be ok. I drink protein shakes at least once (perhaps twice) a day because I don't eat meat and I want to bolster my protein intake. I eat back my exercises calories, keep around 800-1000 cal a day deficit and I've been losing 1.75-2lb a week for the last 3 months :-) At the moment I am pushing weights to tone rather than bulk and I can feel the difference already in that area too :-)

Good luck
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options

You build muscle by USING your muscles and fueling them properly. If you drink it, but sit on the couch all day, you will build fat if it takes you over daily calorie needs.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

You build muscle by USING your muscles and fueling them properly. If you drink it, but sit on the couch all day, you will build fat if it takes you over daily calorie needs.

I don't think so, why would they call it muscle milk then?
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi every one I started drinking* MUSCLE MILK LIGHT*as my PROTEIN SHAKE my queation for yall is would I gain weight? I'm scared!!!! All of my friends drink HERBAL LIFE.....ANYWAY I count my calories and after my work out I drink my muscle milk light IF ANYONE CAN PLS HELP ME OR GIVE ME ADVISE ON WHATS GOOD or anyone that has had musclemilk tell me if it works??? I WANT TO BUILD MUSCLE NOT GAIN weIGHT
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Just a thought maybe you should do some research for different products. Alot of them contain sugar Im not sure for Muscle Milk Brand....Protein Shakes can be used for meal replacements and or post recovery work out. Protein is essential for our muscles so you will gain muscle mass which always weighs more then fat..Read this especially number 8 it states that you might be loosing something else other then fat weight, that is Im taking that you want to loose weight http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Many of the protein shakes will make you gain weight but muscle milk is not one of them. It does have 2 grams of sugar per scoop so it depends on how much you are using.

If you would like more information on just how much sugar you should have in your diet to lose weight and/or how much protein you should have based on your age and exercise, message me... glad to help

Joanne Moniz
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Many of the protein shakes will make you gain weight but muscle milk is not one of them. It does have 2 grams of sugar per scoop so it depends on how much you are using.

If you would like more information on just how much sugar you should have in your diet to lose weight and/or how much protein you should have based on your age and exercise, message me... glad to help

Joanne Moniz

Weight gain is not a direct function of sugar intake.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Hi every one I started drinking* MUSCLE MILK LIGHT*as my PROTEIN SHAKE my queation for yall is would I gain weight? I'm scared!!!! All of my friends drink HERBAL LIFE.....ANYWAY I count my calories and after my work out I drink my muscle milk light IF ANYONE CAN PLS HELP ME OR GIVE ME ADVISE ON WHATS GOOD or anyone that has had musclemilk tell me if it works??? I WANT TO BUILD MUSCLE NOT GAIN weIGHT
    To build muscle, you gain weight. Adding muscle means adding mass. You can't add mass from nothing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Is it wrong that I read the topic of this as someone's protein was shaking loose?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz

computer-facepalm.gif
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what you eat or drink. If you eat at a surpluss then you will gain weight, likewise if you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight. Sure there are variables which can alter the traditional calorie in/calorie out formula, but that's not really a big game breaker.

If you are logging the nutrients in the Muscle Milk, and you are drinking more then your maintenance, you will gain weight. Same as if you ate more lettace or carrots.
  • Live4theLift
    Options
    Doesn't matter what you eat or drink. If you eat at a surpluss then you will gain weight, likewise if you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight. Sure there are variables which can alter the traditional calorie in/calorie out formula, but that's not really a big game breaker.

If you are logging the nutrients in the Muscle Milk, and you are drinking more then your maintenance, you will gain weight. Same as if you ate more lettace or carrots.

This^^^
    To build muscle, you gain weight. Adding muscle means adding mass. You can't add mass from nothing.

This ^^^
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz

How exactly does muscle milk not make you gain weight but other ones do. Do you not think that you need to look at someone's diet as a whole rather than saying that 'many of the protein shakes will make you gain weight". How about if someone has one scoop - that's all of their caloric intake for the day. Will these magic protein shakes make someone gain weight in that situation?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant?
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

What about people who are attempting to change their body composition? Essentially, they eat at maintenance calories and let their stored fat make up the rest of the deficit. Yeah, it takes longer to build muscle, but if you're "skinny-fat" or have a lot of body fat, it makes a lot of sense to give that a try, doesn't it? Also, if you're a newbie at lifting, gains occur even in less than ideal conditions. It's when you've been lifting for a year or more(from what I understand) that you really need to start worrying about eating the right amount of surplus calories and etc.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz

I feel as if you come in to threads and post some ridiculous statements just to troll. Please stick to your food-fear mongering group. You are really hurting people who are trying to improve their health (which is both a physical AND mental thing).