Favorite piece of advice

Options
What was your favorite piece of advice that was given to you when you first started your journey? :happy:

Replies

• loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Be honest with your logging, use a scale to weigh food, and diet is the most important thing..you cannot outrun a bad diet! :)
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Be honest with your logging, use a scale to weigh food, and diet is the most important thing..you cannot outrun a bad diet! :)

^That's my fav, too!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Be honest and be patient! Oh and you don't have to be perfect just try to do better today then yesterday.
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Have to +2 on the scale and diet advice.

Wrapping my head around the importance of nutrition was one of the best steps forward I ever took. I had battled with weight for years. At over 300 pounds, I was losing.

I read a book, by some guy, I don't remember what his name was. He gave a breakdown of what percentage of my diet needed to be protein, fats, carbs, and fiber. When I realized how easy weight loss was when you understand nutrition....the weight started falling off.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    diet (calories, tdee, activity #'s, etc etc), scale, patience.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    "If you're not going to challenge yourself, you should just quit."

I know it doesn't sound like advice, or even good advice but it shifted my perspective big time and allowed me to do things differently.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Just fcukin do it.

It actually worked really well for me.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    "You can't out-exercise a bad diet"
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Just fcukin do it.

+1

Really like this. I tell myself this constantly. "Ah well maybe I will just skip the gym today....dude just fcukin do it."
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options

+1
  • nathotte
    nathotte Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Every day is a new journey. Some good, some bad and some ugly.

Was good advice given to me by a wise friend and is what's kept me going. I have all 3 and always try to do better when I slip but slip ups do happen, to everyone.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Leaves of three let it be. Leaves of four eat some more!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    All the above, plus don't give the scale power over you. Gains in fitness are better than weight loss.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Make small lifestyle changes each day - they all add up and then it doesn't seem like time is ticking by/you're on a diet :)

ETA: "eat to live, don't live to eat"
  • sunflower9194
    sunflower9194 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Exactly! I was exercising regularly for months, but it wasn't until I got serious about watching my food and stopped giving myself a "cheat" day a few times a week that the weight came off. I love that line, "you can not out run a bad diet!"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Keep your eye on the big picture rather than the minutia of the day to day. It's about "lifestyle" not "daystyle" or "weekstyle"
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    'Be patient and results will come'

and during it I keep hearing

'Everything happens for a reason'
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Not really advice I got so much as something I learned, but to someone who is just starting out, I would say don't quit. People are so eager to lose weight that they seem to expect it to happen easily and overnight. There will be days when you feel like you're not making progress and you wonder why you're even bothering. You just have to keep chipping away at it. You don't have to get where you're going tomorrow. You just have to get on the right path and keep moving forward. You'll get there eventually.

But I also agree that educating yourself about nutrition and about how weight-loss happens is critical. Not only will it help you figure out what to eat and how much to eat; it will also give you a defense against all the horrible diet advice on TV and in magazines and help you separate fact and fiction. But you have to be diligent and be willing to look at primary sources and do some critical thinking of your own. I say this a lot: information is power.
  • fittlefattle
    Options
    Just fcukin do it.

This for me, too. For working out, for logging EVERY bit of food, for making a healthy meal instead of take out. Don't want to? Too bad, just do it. I also try to keep in mind that this time is going to pass, whether I choose to do something good for myself or not. When I turn in for the night I want to be happy with my decisions, when I reflect back on the year I'd like the same thing. Pride or regret...ultimately you make that choice one decision at a time.