It's true, and some are early.

Options
Hauntinglyfit
Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
Resolutioners. They are officially here.

Went to the gym tonight at around 8:30. Usually the same people there at that time, feels like home and comfortable. Crowded, but it's always crowded in there and people are helpful and polite.

Tonight was packed! People I have never seen before. Women! So many women! There's usually no more than 3 (at best) outside of the cardio area at any given time. It was very interesting to watch, I have never experienced this before as I used to lift at home.

It was a slight inconvenience to me, as I did have to wait a bit longer to use the weights i wanted, etc. but didn't actually bother me. Most of them are shy as can be, I asked a guy how many sets he had left on the leg press, and he actually got up and left the machine. Pretty sure he said "sorry". I don't think he was actually done and I felt like a b^*tch.

Anyways, what do you think, psychologically, triggers that urge to start working out and get healthy around this date? I know it's year end and all that but when someone lacks motivation to do that any other time of the year, what pushes them to actually do it now?

Oh, and i think that if all the new people were to stick around year long, the gym couldn't handle it. Not big enough.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    That's broscience.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I think it's tradition that pushes people to chose this time of year to start to try to get fit. I'd be curious to know where the New Year's resolution tradition started. Is it a fairly new phenomena or has it been around for centuries?

*ponders thoughtfully, might google later
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I think the 'new year, new me' mentality flares up in people every year and...then it slowly peters out by summer.

But no matter what it is I'm excited for the wave to hit MFP. Should. Be. Fun.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I expect the trigger for many today was "Thanksgiving Guilt".
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Options
    Watching the new girls ogle the big guys like they were looking at cookies while on a diet was fun. Watching the buff guys look at the new girls like "OMG, women!!", was funnier.
    They're still all mine, and i get to touch their biceps to check for progress.
  • brower47
    Options
    Watching the new girls ogle the big guys like they were looking at cookies while on a diet was fun. Watching the buff guys look at the new girls like "OMG, women!!", was funnier.

It's a dirty, thankless job but someone's got to do it. Thank you for your service.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Options

It's a dirty, thankless job but someone's got to do it. Thank you for your service.

You welcome. Does your husband lift?
    Doesn't even matter. He can start. Send him over for "before" pictures.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    It is the little black holiday New Years Eve dress and a great date.
  • candiceh3
    Options
    Noooo :(

But on the up side, we do get to watch the newbies do very "interesting" things with the weight machines. I saw some idiot doing push ups on the kneel pad of an assisted chip up machine.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My gym was packed when I got there tonight, too!! I decided it was because it was the first Monday after a holiday weekend. If it's this busy the rest of the week I'm going to have to agree with you that it's early resolutioners. The more the merrier, I say!*

*Opinion subject to change. The trainer on the floor tonight was super helpful and awesome so I'm in a great mood. :)
  • brower47
    Options

You welcome. Does your husband lift?
    Doesn't even matter. He can start. Send him over for "before" pictures.

Heck, if you motivate him to lift more regularly then he'll be over in 5. :wink: Just make sure you motivate him to not skip leg day...
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Options
    Most of them are inexperienced, but will learn. I actually feel bad seeing how awkward some of them are. I don't approach people, but if they asked i would help.

This girl tonight was using a squat rack. To do squats. Except she was using 5 pounds dumbbells not the bar. While people were waiting around to use the rack. I could really feel the testosterone levels rising in there. :laugh:
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Oh No! Those poor people.
  • brower47
    Options
    Most of them are inexperienced, but will learn. I actually feel bad seeing how awkward some of them are. I don't approach people, but if they asked i would help.

This girl tonight was using a squat rack. To do squats. Except she was using 5 pounds dumbbells not the bar. While people were waiting around to use the rack. I could really feel the testosterone levels rising in there. :laugh:

I once used the open space inside the large cable pulley machine to do my dead lifts because I didn't see any other space on the floor to do them. I didn't know that's what the platforms were for. It wasn't until after I'd finished that I figured it out and realized that two guys had been waiting for me to finish so they could use the machine.

I felt embarrassed, very, very embarrassed and of course never did it again. It was hard to go back two days later because of that embarrassment. I suspect most people aren't idiots but just ignorant.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Options

I once used the open space inside the large cable pulley machine to do my dead lifts because I didn't see any other space on the floor to do them. I didn't know that's what the platforms were for. It wasn't until after I'd finished that I figured it out and realized that two guys had been waiting for me to finish so they could use the machine.

I felt embarrassed, very, very embarrassed and of course never did it again. It was hard to go back two days later because of that embarrassment. I suspect most people aren't idiots but just ignorant.

Exactly. She didn't realize. Think I should've said something? Like "Hey you can do dumbbell squats anywhere, but people who use a bar need to use this space?" I feel like that might've made her embarrassment worse no matter how nicely I said it.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Actually I shouldn't laugh, this is about to be me. Gym in my building is under renovation starting next Monday so I'm about to hit the 'outside' gym too.
  • brower47
    Options

Exactly. She didn't realize. Think I should've said something? Like "Hey you can do dumbbell squats anywhere, but people who use a bar need to use this space?" I feel like that might've made her embarrassment worse no matter how nicely I said it.

It's a tough call. While it would have been nice to be informed (in my case), it also would have been mortifying. If I'd been in the guy's position, I probably wouldn't have told me either.

This question has forced some introspection... :grumble:
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Options

It's a tough call. While it would have been nice to be informed (in my case), it also would have been mortifying. If I'd been in the guy's position, I probably wouldn't have told me either.

Yeah. I don't think i will ever say anything unless I see someone who is about to get hurt or something.

And i am sorry for making you think, I hate it when people do that to me. :laugh:
  • brower47
    Options

Yeah. I don't think i will ever say anything unless I see someone who is about to get hurt or something.

And i am sorry for making you think, I hate it when people do that to me. :laugh:

:grumble:
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Loll reasons stated above true-
    Thanksgiving + holiday eating
    New resolutions
    Cold outside

Could all be reasons.. My gym has not yet seen this, but I go in too early for those new people to show up I guess lol