day 4 and already blew it.

Options

Replies

• focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Okay -- aim for NET of 1400 a day. That is interesting. here is what my net has been for the past four days:

1832 <<<----this was the Celebration of the Binge day..er, night.

So-- perhaps these are too inconsistent. Problem with NET for me is that my exercise isn't guaranteed. I might do only 30 min one day, 80 min another, and nothing on another day. Garh.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    you didn't blow it. you know what you did? you fueled up for an extra hard work out today.

Amen. Any time I eat something I know is a bad decision, I resolve to lift heavier and run faster that night.
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Yes you blew it. Throw away your trainers and give up!

It was a blip. Track it and move on; tomorrow is fresh start. Avoid an all or nothing attitude, give yourself some leeway. Workout because you want to not because you think you should. If you're dragging yourself to the gym kicking and screaming you're not going to enjoy it or stick with it. It's okay to have a day off.
  • clemsongina
    Options
    You can't blow it in just one day...... It's a lifetime commitment. Don't let one bad day get you down. You're already doing waaayyyy better than me!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    You're fine. A body processes food over the course of a week, not a day. So if you hit your targets for the rest of the week, why worry? Every meal is a new opportunity. Don't fall off the train for one day of indulgence. You've got this.
  • focuseddiva
    Options
    Also -- I asked this somewhere else and can't find it now.

Does MFP allow you to look at a report-level view of how many calories deficit you had over the course of a week? In other words, you total calories burned (through eating less and exercise). That way, I can see if it gels with what is going on when I get on the scale. Theroetically, if it says I burned 3500 cals over the week, I should lose a pound, right? Theoretically.

Right now, I only see that you can view cals burned or NET cals burned each day.
  • shaundam
    shaundam Posts: 38 Member
    Options

is this going to derail me? I can't believe I couldn't pull off one week on this. I am really ticked at myself.

Only if you let it. It's ok to fall just stand back up and push on. You got this.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, "Over" really only means "Less Under"

Think in terms of a week, not a day. If you are running a 500 cal/day deficit, , and have 1 day where you go 1000 over your target, you've still run a 2500 cal deficit for the week. All else remaining the same (exercise, etc.), what you've done is cause yourself to lose 0.3 lb less than you would have. Approximately. In a simplified model.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    You'll learning new habits. We fall down, dust ourselves off, get back up and go again!

Does a baby quit trying to walk after it falls down once? Nope.... they fall down a LOT, but they keep practicing until its an automatic life change.

Hope you're doing ok today!
  • markheusser
    markheusser Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It was after midnight so your macros reset it was a new day! Dont worry.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Okay -- aim for NET of 1400 a day. That is interesting. here is what my net has been for the past four days:

So-- perhaps these are too inconsistent. Problem with NET for me is that my exercise isn't guaranteed. I might do only 30 min one day, 80 min another, and nothing on another day. Garh.

If you're using MFP the way it's set up, that's fine. Your calorie goal is determined based on if you did absolutely no extra exercise. If you exercise, you get to eat extra. I'm pretty sure the binge was your body rebelling. You shouldn't be eating below you BMR. Just in case you didn't know, that's your basic metabolic rate, which is what your body needs to keep going! Yes, it can take it from other places, but you'll probably be miserable, and more likely to have binge days.

So chillax on the one-day binge, and probably re-evaluate your calorie goals. You shouldn't be afraid of food when dieting. Food is fuel, and your body needs it no matter what your mind might tell you to do.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

You're still only averaging 1311/day. You should have had 400 more cal on your binge. ;) I would recommend "blowing it" once a week, if your other days are what's normal for you .....
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    you didn't blow it until you quit...since you are still here you are doing fine. Just a new opportunity to learn.
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    you didn't blow it. you know what you did? you fueled up for an extra hard work out today.

^^^
    This x 10.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Best answer ever.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    No big deal. One day won't blow all of the hard work you've put in. And you can look back on this next week when you want to cheat again and then you can decide if the cheat is worth your inevitable disappointment.

It's a process.
  • Kattrynas
    Options
    Hi Greywalk,
    I was going through my profile and updating again and again (and not in a good way) I gained 10 of the 39 I lost, and I stumbled on to your blog. If this journey we are on was so simple we would not be here right! So I have learned the hard way to be nice to me! If I have patience for others I should have that for myself right and so should you!!
    So don't get ticked off at yourself, just try to yourself "This is going to take some time and I can do this, I just need to practice" Give cheers to yourself with every little accomplishment!!! Example "Ya I made it through breakfast" ok "Ya made it through to my snack" got it? Its ok to have what you want in moderation! For me a bit satisfies me and sometimes if I do that I want the whole thing LOL. You're welcome to contact me if you want, its ok. Blessings to you Greywalk. I have faith in you, you can do it I know you can!!
  • focuseddiva
    Options
    Well. Did well today post-binge. Got thru decent workout. Ate well. 1200 cals and yes I burned 400 from exercise. So yes net is low today. But averaged with my binge from last night? Its ok. Works out as long as I don't do a face plant in a pizza. I'm now watching biggest loser and wondering what they actually eat to lose such massive amounts each week.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't exercise and why I eat the foods I like, and just watch the calorie limit. If I'm miserable from having to eat certain foods and exhausted from running myself ragged, I'm certainly not going to have any willpower left over to watch my calories. And since calories are the only thing that really matters with weight loss, I decided to make that the sole focus of my limited willpower reserves. :drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you're setting yourself up for future binges by insisting on such a low calorie net to start.

([Soliloquy] I'll never understand why people start at the absolute bare minimum and presumably move up from there as necessary (when in actuality, they're more likely to give up entire) instead of working to find the most calories they can eat while still making progress towards their goals. I'd suggest you start at a high number...say, 2000...log consistently and accurately, move more, and monitor your progress after 4-6 weeks. Progress? Carry on. No progress? Drop your limit by a hundred or so calories and go again.

This process works throughout your weight loss (and beyond). Bonus: it ensures you have the maximum amount of energy throughout. That energy is useful for exercise and is really helpful mentally to keep you on target. [/soliloquy])