Is it okay to go running in the rain?

Options
124»

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    It's actually quite dangerous to run in the rain. As you breathe hard, each breath takes in a raindrop or 2, and over time your lungs fill up, and you'll drown mid-run; unless you wear a respirator while running. With the respirator, you can run as long as you like, but without, I'd max out your run at 3-3.5 miles. Or you'll die.
  • trulystatuesque
    trulystatuesque Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Doing any sort of exercise in the rain is so exhilarating.... I played flag football in the rain and felt like I was in a gatorade commercial ;) Just make sure you take a hot shower as soon as you get home so you won't get sick.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain, as long as it is not icy/slippery.
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of running in the rain. The only thing that would concern me is my calves and ankles getting tight and potentially strained if they got very cold and wet in freezing cold rain. Does anyone who runs in wet *and cold* conditions have any thoughts on that, as they're predicting a freezing winter this year.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of running in the rain. The only thing that would concern me is my calves and ankles getting tight and potentially strained if they got very cold and wet in freezing cold rain. Does anyone who runs in wet *and cold* conditions have any thoughts on that, as they're predicting a freezing winter this year.

Define "cold". LOL :laugh:

Seriously...warm up before you go outside and you'll be fine. I did a 5k turkey trot on Thanksgiving morning. Warmed up a bit before I left the house, drove 20 minutes to the race, waited around in the cold and snow for 10 minutes for race to start, and ran the 5k (on snow and ice covered roads). The temp that morning? 21 degrees with a wind chill of 11.....with lake effect snow coming down. :smile:
  • BeanCounter3
    BeanCounter3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    *goes creeping for age of poster/runner.....ahhhh....ok, normal explanations and advice are allowed...sarcasm can wait....
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    "I'm melting.. melllllttttinggggg"
    ha.. couldn't resist.

I'd run in the rain.. unless it was down pouring, then maybe shoot hoops indoors instead.

I also run in the cold and snow.. although much slower lol
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I prefer running in the rain sometimes. Just don't get hit by a car, and you'll be fine.
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Seriously...warm up before you go outside and you'll be fine. I did a 5k turkey trot on Thanksgiving morning. Warmed up a bit before I left the house, drove 20 minutes to the race, waited around in the cold and snow for 10 minutes for race to start, and ran the 5k (on snow and ice covered roads). The temp that morning? 21 degrees with a wind chill of 11.....with lake effect snow coming down. :smile:

Yeah, I was thinking freezing rain - not so much cold on it's own, or even snow. But feet and ankles getting wet and cold.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

Yeah, I was thinking freezing rain - not so much cold on it's own, or even snow. But feet and ankles getting wet and cold.

You won't hurt yourself running in cold and wet conditions, as long as your properly warm up before your run, and cool down and stretch after.

BUT...I would probably avoid running in freezing rain or sleet because of the icy and changing road conditions (ie one footfall could be fine, but the next, *whoosh* you're on your butt!), and thus, increased likelihood of slipping and hurting yourself. :smile:
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love running in the rain. Granted, this time of the year you may want to find a water resistant jacket so you don't freeze, but I highly recommend it. I really started loving to run after the first time I ran in the rain!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain (or the snow for that matter) is great. There is no bad weather if you're dressed properly (well, except for freezing rain)

If you can afford it get a gore-tex running jacket, it will keep you drier but is breathable if not a regular running shell will do the trick. Repeat after me.....no cotton.

Think in terms of visibility when choosing your clothes, go for bright colours and, preferably, something with lots of reflective stripes / accents.

Have fun!
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Absolutley not, avoid running in the rain at all costs. The high acidity in the rain can negatively effect weight loss through the reduction of thermogenesis. As you run your pores expand allowing the acidity in the water to absorb into the encodrine system reducing the efficiency of what is called the BET or Basel Endocrine Thermogenesis which is responsible for aproximately 15-20% of your overall metabolism. Basically, this will partially negate any caloric expendature from running.

Also, running in the water can cause substantial damage to the tissue surrounding the knee and ankle. If these are damaged, the body goes into a TRM or Tissue Recovery Mode where it will store additional fat and protein as fatty cellular walls to help protect and heal the damaged tissue. These cellular walls are perminant and this weight can never be lost except though surgary.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    The only safe exercise to do in the rain is Prancercise. I thought everyone knew that.