Lifting ladies- similar weight, different look?

Options
I have been doing quite a bit of strength training over the last month since I want to transform my body rather than just look like a smaller version of my flabby self... I need some motivation!

Anyone have before/after pics or body measurements within 10 lbs-15 lbs difference from heavy lifting? (Can be heavier before lifting, or after lifting). I just really want to see some examples of body composition changes that are not huge weight differences out of curiosity :)

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I weigh MORE in the last picture than I did in the first.

GAINS_zpsaff793de.png

These are the exact same weight

7db4b689-26ed-4e19-bf28-56f9309e966b_zps8de298b7.jpg
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options

GAINS_zpsaff793de.png

Gorgeous! Am starting to lift weights too. Any advice/tips? Please share your routine!
  • amy1612
    Options
    I did 5x5 to start off with and then moved to doing a more olympic lifting based routine (from liftbigeatbig.com....they also have some good beginners programmes). I now do crossfit, which is great fun. 5x5 is a really good starting point as its easy to follow and you'll see good gains :)
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options

GAINS_zpsaff793de.png

Holy sh.... you look phenomenal!!!
  • amy1612
    Options
  • pittsjg
    pittsjg Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Lifting ladies, you guys are amazing, keep up the hard work and spread the word. Were not just losing weight we are building the bodies we want to live life in! I tell woman (and men) all the time if it was just a matter of loosing weight on a scale you could just cut off a leg and be totally happy right?

Much respect ladies
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Picture on the left, I lost weight with diet alone after my 2nd pregnancy. Picture on the right I lost weight with diet, exercise, then gained 8lbs weight lifting.

145vs158.jpg
  • amy1612
    Options
    Picture on the left, I lost weight with diet alone after my 2nd pregnancy. Picture on the right I lost weight with diet, exercise, then gained 8lbs weight lifting.

145vs158.jpg

Hell yeah mama!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Opps. I meant to say picture on the right is after 3rd baby (with which I gained 45 pounds) so in both instances I start at about 180.

And I gained the 8lbs lifting AND eating at a surplus. You won't gain at a deficit.
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't have pictures, but in the ""good old days"" I lost weight twice... (i"m 5'4):

Got down to 119 the bad way (no exercice, not much food) and was wearing a size 11

Then I gained a lot

Then got down again to 140, this time exercising, lifting weight, and I was a size 7.

So it definitly makes a BIG difference!!!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I can't remember for sure, but this is about a 2-3lb difference.

84054dc8f0a71c40d7f524476a7ad1d71576921.jpg91b53e1a3159569601114119accdaa671576921.jpg

ETA: These pics were taken around a month apart.
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You all look AMAZING!!!! Thanks for the inspiration :)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    One year apart. Same weight in both pics. In between, lost 12 more pounds, bulked, and am currently cutting.

a92086f8316859d65c59c38d39b532a31408569.jpg
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Bump for inspiration. You girls rock!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread!!!!:love:
  • Skippy1842
    Skippy1842 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow so glad I logged on today - im having a 'why do I bother,im fat and bloated' day. Seeing this post has given me a boost as I always find it hard to find other ladies who lift. Around my area its all about ladies who lunch lol I am the only girl in the free weights area and in the 3 years ive been at my current gym I have never seen a lady use the squat rack - its a sin :-)
    Keep up the good work ladies. Maybe one day I will be brave and post some pics
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    these are my favorite! showing the scale isnt the only way to measure success especially with heavy weights in your hand
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It often isn't thought this way, but we guys add "shape" and "curves" to our frame the same exact way.

Women who - at least - maintain their muscle mass while reducing fat mass won't have to lose as much total weight as someone who just does calorie restriction and cardio. In other words, maintaining [or increasing] muscle volume under the skin will lead to a leaner, shapelier physique sooner. This is why lifting using adequate volume, intensity and frequency is so beneficial in achieving a favorable body composition with little weight loss - or even modest gain.
  • AnsiStar
    AnsiStar Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Bumping this thread as a healthy reminder to myself!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how to post pics but in my profile pics I have a before and an after from lifting heavy with p90x. Over the past yr I have gained 8 lbs from it