Lifting ladies- similar weight, different look?

Options

Replies

• YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It often isn't thought this way, but we guys add "shape" and "curves" to our frame the same exact way.

Women who - at least - maintain their muscle mass while reducing fat mass won't have to lose as much total weight as someone who just does calorie restriction and cardio. In other words, maintaining [or increasing] muscle volume under the skin will lead to a leaner, shapelier physique sooner. This is why lifting using adequate volume, intensity and frequency is so beneficial in achieving a favorable body composition with little weight loss - or even modest gain.

Oh, I totally know men do it too- I am surrounded by personal friends and family (males) who lift heavy, and can see how much that changes their physique! I only singled out ladies, since I don't know many personally that lift heavy, and was curious to see how much it changes a female shape. I really should have just said everyone, though.
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    Options
    I'm not sure how to post pics but in my profile pics I have a before and an after from lifting heavy with p90x. Over the past yr I have gained 8 lbs from it

Holy heck woman! I've been putting off today's workout feeling a little drained, but that gave me a kick in the butt. You look fantastic!!!
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Big+progress.png

Left pictures I was ~133, middle around ~127, right I had purposefully bulked back up to ~135.
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    This time last year my workouts consisted of an hour of running 5 days a week, an hour of tracy anderson mat workouts 6 days a week and an hour yoga 3 times a week. I also walked to the store to get groceries, drop & pick up my son from school and run misc errands during the day (Usually 5 miles a day). Occasionally I would switch up a running day for Zumba. Cardio bunny. You get the picture. I was on a calorie deficit and about a size 8/10 depending on the jeans I was wearing. It took me 6 months to go from a size 12 to a size 8/10. I lost 40lbs from the time I started dieting, but I still looked the same.

Six months ago, I switched to doing Stronglifts 5x5 3x a week and cut everything else out except the very occasional yoga if I was bored. I also started eating at maintenance instead of slashing calories. I went from an 8/10 to a size 2 RAPIDLY. I wanted to kick myself for not lifting earlier!!!

Today I am currently bulking to add muscle and doing Madcow 5x5 (an intermediate version of Stronglifts) 3x a week and am now heavier weight wise as I was this time last year, but still wearing all my size 2 jeans.

ALL of my girlfriends thought I was bat**** crazy for lifting weights. There are so many misconceptions out there and what it will do to your body. I know- because I believed them!!! I wouldn't lift anything heavier than a dinky 3lb dumbbell for a long time. If only I could go back in time... !!

Good Luck!
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Picture on the left, I lost weight with diet alone after my 2nd pregnancy. Picture on the right I lost weight with diet, exercise, then gained 8lbs weight lifting.

145vs158.jpg

How tall are you? You look amazing!
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    Options
    Big+progress.png

Left pictures I was ~133, middle around ~127, right I had purposefully bulked back up to ~135.

Look at the difference in your legs! Oh my crap, new inspiration. Wow.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meagank28
    Options
    bump. great thread. Y'all ROCK!!!!!!!!
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    flex.jpg

front3.jpg

weight difference from first to last is 28 lbs, 8 lbs difference from the middle to last
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

How tall are you? You look amazing!

5'9"
  • sazzyanne14
    sazzyanne14 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This thread proves the hard work i'm putting in will all be worth it in the end =)
  • mulher130
    mulher130 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow, how did you do it? How does your exercise regimen look like and your diet plan? That's amazing!!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    wswwg1.jpg

I can officially say, I can kick the old mes butt! Lifting is awesome!
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    Options
    wswwg1.jpg

Amazing!! What kind of routine do you do? I am coveting that ab definition haha!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Amazing!! What kind of routine do you do? I am coveting that ab definition haha!

♥ ty. I'm currently doing 5/3/1, 3x a week :D
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Look at the difference in your legs! Oh my crap, new inspiration. Wow.

:flowerforyou: Thank you! I have been focusing on glutes/hammies. I want my @$$ to be round and perky not flat and wide like my before picture.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I weigh MORE in the last picture than I did in the first.

GAINS_zpsaff793de.png

These are the exact same weight

7db4b689-26ed-4e19-bf28-56f9309e966b_zps8de298b7.jpg

Holy sh.... you look phenomenal!!!

Yeah you look great. I'd argue you didn't look so bad before either ;)

OHH! And no thigh gap!! See ladies thigh gap doesn't mean ****.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) And f*** the thigh gap. Feet apart thighs together is more my style lol.